Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old April 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

hazel any chance you can email to me?

I can convert it for ya Then find a converter online (used to have a link but boss bought me Adobe Prof & I can do all that stuff now)

let me see if I can find a convertor.

.tiff is the one for scanning I beieve for easy conversion to PDf

http://www.jpegtopdf.com/ here is a converter (that will allow same thing) its kinda a printer port but .pdf

Last edited by Diamondsmum; April 7th, 2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Another idea .. is depending on which program your using for your office Applications (Office 2007 or MS works) there is a add-on with Office to allow conversion to PDF built in.

Just havta download it.:sad:
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'd have to download novapdf...not sure if I want yet another program to use with the scanner It was one-stop processing with imagezone! What a pain! :sad:

I've bookmarked it, though, aslan--thanks for the link! At least it's something to fall back on...

ooops....almost forgot I'm supposed to chat with an HP scanner guy today....better go do that.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
hazel any chance you can email to me?

I can convert it for ya Then find a converter online (used to have a link but boss bought me Adobe Prof & I can do all that stuff now)

let me see if I can find a convertor.

.tiff is the one for scanning I beieve for easy conversion to PDf

http://www.jpegtopdf.com/ here is a converter (that will allow same thing) its kinda a printer port but .pdf
I often do 10 - 15 letters a week, sign them, scan them as a .pdf and email them. Official stuff. I need something easy that doesn't involve emailing an 800KB .jpg out for conversion :sad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
Another idea .. is depending on which program your using for your office Applications (Office 2007 or MS works) there is a add-on with Office to allow conversion to PDF built in.

Just havta download it.:sad:
I have Office 2003. Think there's an app out there for that version of office?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

let me check hazel for you
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I didnt realize aslan has posted a program already my bad (what i posted was kinda same thing)
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I gotta go. Chatting with HP, but I can't have two windows open at once on this connection

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

hazelrunpack,

I am not a Vista expert, but have some tips that I found helpful. Not sure any of them will help you with the exact things you are working on, but they can be found on my new post....http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....236#post766236

Good luck,
Diane
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, Diane! I just saw it I bookmarked some of them.

On a different note, the tech I was chatting with gave me a link to a 216M download for scanner software that is compatible with Vista. So tomorrow, hubby will download it to his work machine and bring it home to hazel on a CD. And, with any kind of luck, the scanner will be functional again by tomorrow night.

Slowly but surely, the computer is becoming functional! I couldn't have done a lot of it without everyone's help!

Now then...what can you all do to make madame hazel more functional?

Old April 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM
You can call me DOG!

's and keeping the 's crossed for hubby and the HP Scanner CD.

Now to make Madame Hazel more functional?

Please excuse me if I'm out of line but maybe take a breather from that piece of Vista box wasting space in your house and enjoy some quite time away from all of the techi stress crap?

We're all here for you Hazel with big 's

Name:  anim_26.gif
Views: 817
Size:  2.9 KB

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
's and keeping the 's crossed for hubby and the HP Scanner CD.

Now to make Madame Hazel more functional?

Please excuse me if I'm out of line but maybe take a breather from that piece of Vista box wasting space in your house and enjoy some quite time away from all of the techi stress crap?

Attachment 50493

That's what hubby tells me, too!

Old April 7th, 2009, 10:49 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well...here's hoping that you'll soon find the light at the end of the tunnel.

Like I said earlier...it's just a learning curve but don't let it beat the out of you

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Now that I'm not staying up all night downloading updates and software, I'm doing much better. Amazing what a little sleep will do for ya.

Old April 8th, 2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
But at least I could open the file in Word. All the contact info is there, I just need to find the time to enter it all back in.
This is where Copy & Paste becomes your new bestest buddy

on starting to get your software/hardware sorted out for the scanner

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's easier for me to just type it in. That way I don't have to change windows. I confuse easily

The good news--I just installed the software hubby downloaded for me and hazel has a fully functional scanner again! Plus her favorite photo editor!

Old April 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It's easier for me to just type it in. That way I don't have to change windows. I confuse easily

The good news--I just installed the software hubby downloaded for me and hazel has a fully functional scanner again! Plus her favorite photo editor!

Wow - that's great Hazel

It's always a pleasant surprise when a peripheral rises from the dead not to mention getting the photo editor back too Name:  cool0012.gif
Views: 464
Size:  1.3 KB Name:  cool0012.gif
Views: 464
Size:  1.3 KB

Old April 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

It's the little things in life that make us happy. I'm glad you got things to work!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Dirty brackifratz...the one editing tool that I was looking for isn't included in this version So I'll still need a second editor. Oh, well...I'm still pretty happy

<----madame hazel doing the happy dance

Old April 9th, 2009, 03:47 AM
-

Glad to hear that you've found a solution to most of your problems.
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Got my printing fonts back! Still working on the templates, but I think we've located them on the old machine We're a week into this. Nothing like a smooth conversion, eh?

Old April 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

If you need certain programs, but can't download, afford, blah blah, could i not get them for you and send them to hubby to copy?
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:37 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I think I've finallygot most of the software in order.

Old April 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, I'm sorry I'm so late to this! And I haven't read every single post, so sorry if this has already been mentioned!

I've had Vista for two years now. I HATED it at first and had many fits with tears over it too. Now I'm used to it though and don't mind it. A few things, let me know if you're in interested.

--There's a way to "Neuter" Vista so many of the "pretty," but memory sucking functions are turned off and it's back to more of a basic OS again.

--To run anything as an Administrator, right click on the icon and chose, "Run as Administrator."

--Directions for exporting and importing mail from Outlook to Windows Mail:
http://www.vista4beginners.com/Migra...o-Windows-Mail

--This Vista forum was and still is VERY helpful for me!
http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?act=idx

--Firefox runs much faster than IE on Vista. You may want to install Firefox and use it for everything but your newsletters. It makes everyday browsing much easier.
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Just wanted to add, Good luck! I feel your pain!
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, Smiley! It's getting better...slowly

I may have to get back to you on the neutering...although everything seems to be running pretty well right now Lots of memory and 4 processors make a big difference...and I think some of the stuff I'm running is optimized for the 64-bit technology and that may be helping, too?

The time has come, I guess, to finally try out Firefox...

Old April 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Hazel was some of the problems you are having was it transfering from the old pc to the new.?

I have to transfer between windows XP to Vista and not looking forward to it.
Old April 12th, 2009, 09:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The data files themselves transferred well. The programs did not. About half my software either wouldn't install or was disfunctional when it did. This machine is 64-bit technology, though, and I'm not sure what all that entails, so not sure if it was the 64-bit feature or Vista itself that the software was incompatible with.

HP has chat rooms for problems and the techs are very helpful (plus it's free ), but it sure would have helped if I'd had high-speed....heck, even just decent speed I kept timing out and/or losing the connection.

Old April 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Maybe i'm in for some fun.this on is 64 bit also and have no clue what that means.this is a laptop and will have to keep it plugged in through it all as it eats battery power.after about 2 hour i'm out of battery.it's only a 4 cell dual processer and Toshiba said thats why.it's just as quick if not quicker then the desk top pc.
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's a bummer about the battery getting sucked down so fast.

If all the software you use is already installed on it, then you'll probably be okay. All my data transfered over well. It was the software I use that I had trouble with. Some of the software that came with the scanner, in particular.

Will you have to add more software to it? Sometimes it's hard to tell if it will be compatible. Usually, it will say if it's Vista compatible, but I guess sometimes it also needs to be 64-bit compatible. I'm not sure if that refers to an addressing/register size or what Or why it should make some software crap out But it's darn frustrating when it does!

Old April 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Some of the programing i have on disk.my printer is new this year so the disk should work no problem.i think i might need some of the programing and i've already tried to network with a router i have here with no success.we will see what happens.