Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Old August 4th, 2010, 08:10 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
Raccoons have no problem with water, they get a fair deal of their food from lakes, such as small fish and clams.
I'm just repeating what I read the other day in the newspaper Erykah ...I'm not a Coon expert by any means.

When Ethel did Wildlife training, they are taught that to deter Coons (mainly ones taking up residence in one's attic) place a perforated can with a rag soaked in amonia, a radio and a light to deter them.
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I think the amonia would be a good start. I've heard also that they don't like the smell. I have bee hives and the skunks/raccoons go after them, so I buy carpet strips (the little wooden strips with small nails in them) and I lay those out in front of the hives. The raccoons and skunks have very sensitive feet and won't walk over them to get to the hives. If you can determine what area the raccoon is traveling to get into your pond you could try a few carpet strips as well. They aren't very pricey and can be bought at any hardware store. Good luck.
Old August 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Floppy Dog

Does anyone know how territorial racoons are? If they are, would the scent of another racoon deter the maurauder? I know that they make "coon scent" in a bottle to help train coon hounds. If they are at all territorial, would the scent of another racoon tell it to move along?

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.

Tags
nusiance, pond, raccoon, turtle