Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old September 18th, 2010, 08:25 PM
chronically insane.

Need help for friends sickly foster kitten

Hey everyone! I know, I was bad and disappeared for a few weeks again Had alot going on so haven't really had the chance to sit down at the computer much.

My friend has a foster kitten, aprx. 3 months old that is extremely small and underweight. He was brought into the shelter about a month ago after someone found him on the side of a trail at a nature park. He was infested with baby ticks, flea's and very dehydrated.

We fixed him up... was doing really good but now within the past couple days he's been very lethargic, has had bad diarrhea and just tonight he projectile vomited everywhere. He's not on *that* great of food, but even now that he's on A/D (yes, science diet but i must say A/D does work for whatever odd reason )... still not doing well. giving him fluids... still severely underweight.

he's got some spunk in him, but for a kitten he really should be playing with toys and chasing people and stuff... he's more just like blaahhhh unless you encourage him to actually do anything.

FIV/FeLV Snapp test= negative
Fecal I believe showed coccidia, and he's been dewormed and has been on albon for a fair amount of time.
Gums are pink

Is on Orbax suspension currently, giving kitten Nutrical. He has no obvious "symptoms" in a sense. Ears, eyes, nose clear. The only odd thing is he is drooling excessively and his skin feels overly thick. I'm not sure how to describe it, but obviously I have dealt with ALOT of cats and kittens, and his skin just does not feel right. It feels like the skin of a sickly dying cat.

Any suggestions? We were going to run a Panleuk/Parvo test on him.. but it's just very weird. I am thinking failure to thrive, but he still has enough energy in him to fight off the meds and everything.
Any help greatly appreciated. The vet that saw him today didn't know what was going on.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Poor kitty . The only thing that comes to mind is calicivirus which can produces sores in the mouth.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 19th, 2010, 06:17 PM
chronically insane.

Sadly, he had what appears to be a seizure earlier and is not doing well. I'm going over her house for moral support, but he is not eating, drinking and is not really responsive. She let the shelter know and he'll be in to see the vet tomorrow morning, but I'm willing to bet nothing can be done. He already had a home lined up with 3 young children who are extremely upset about this.

Old September 19th, 2010, 06:36 PM
-

Sorry about the kitten kathryn

not too familiar with what could be wrong with him but ... couldn't it be just that , because he was underweight and had many health issues ? Maybe he still needs time to get better ?
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:32 PM
chronically insane.

Hey again. Sooo last night I went over for a bit and sat with him and he was totally unresponsive for a while, then perked up a bit and was purring. By the next morning he was doing great- eating, drinking, pooping, peeing. He was still neurological, but not that bad. He was playing with his toys as well.

He has suddenly crashed again this afternoon. Two of our vets looked at him and we have nooo idea We are sending out bloodwork to check his liver function. Now I am petsitting him while she is at class for the evening, and he's become completely flat out. He is stiff, cold and unresponsive. He is barely breathing. This is worse than it was last night, but the same symptoms. We were hoping after he bounced back earlier that he would be okay, but now he is doing horribly.

Also since he accidently bit her the other day and I have had my hands in his mouth to check his gums and force feed him, we have to treat this as a rabies case. So he's "quarantined" as of yesterday... not that it matters to me as I'm already vaccinated so I've opted to just keep helping her care for him but if he passes away we have to do rabies testing which of course everyone is not happy about.

Wish us luck that he either recovers or can pass peacefully tonight

Old September 20th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Very odd. I have never heard of anything like this before. for the kitty.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey