Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 24th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Yikes!! Pancrease-V is expensive!

We recently found out that Nookie Monster has a Trypsin deficiency (which, btw, is wonderful news!!). I know, how could any deficiency be wonderful? Well, it explains SO many things that all the previous vets were baffled by. So basically, all he needs to take care of his tummy troubles (hopefully!) is a digestive supplement. The vet prescribed Pancrease-V powder. She said it comes in a "tub" and is $67.00. We thought "oh, ok... a tub should last awhile". We were thinking like a month or so. Nope! The "tub" is actually a little 114 gram "jar" LOL. So, because we feed him 3-4 times a day, it's going to last maybe a week

But whatever! If it helps him, so be it
I really do hope this is all it takes to get his tummy well. She said we should see immediate improvement. But I don't know if the improvement we are seeing is because he passed the socks, or because of the powder. Could be a combination of both, I guess. One thing I will say is this... last night was SUCH a good night for him! He actually went to the toybox and started playing. We took him and Thorin for a walk and he actually pounced on Thorin a few times to initiate play, which he hasn't done for weeks! He's still very gasy and bloated on and off, but he seems to be "feeling" better. So that this is the reason why!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:15 PM
-

I would think that pooping out two socks would make a big difference so it's likely a combination of both ....OUCH on the cost of that stuff though.

And, I'm sure glad to hear that Nanook is feeling better. I hope he gets to start enjoying his puppyhood now.
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:26 PM
-

You could contact the supplier (Canadian) to see if they sell to the public for less than what the vet charges .....

http://www.bionicheanimalhealth.com/...tientTypeID=12

Last edited by rainbow; September 24th, 2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM
-

I like this website for information but you may have already read it ....

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...nsufficie.html

And, here is a forum for people that have pets with pancreatic insufficiency so you may find some useful information there ....

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/k9-EPIGLOBAL/
Old September 24th, 2010, 03:17 PM
-

Yes that's what I told you in your other thread a foster of mine (Jaid) was on it , it was about $100.00 for 3-4 weeks once , the vet had to order it and I had none left so I tried the stuff at the health store .... didn't work.
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Yes that's what I told you in your other thread a foster of mine (Jaid) was on it , it was about $100.00 for 3-4 weeks once , the vet had to order it and I had none left so I tried the stuff at the health store .... didn't work.
Ah, thank you Frenchy. I was thinking of an alternative, but if it didn't work for you, I'll stick with the Pancrease-V. I know you said it was expensive, so I was thinking maybe $100 a month, but not almost $300

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I like this website for information but you may have already read it ....

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...nsufficie.html

And, here is a forum for people that have pets with pancreatic insufficiency so you may find some useful information there ....

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/k9-EPIGLOBAL/

Thank you for the links rainbow! I have checked into it a bit, but haven't had time to do much between the vets visits, work and continuing education courses this week. But I will check them out tonight! And I do have the number for the distributor here in Canada, but haven't had a chance to call them. I did look online and it was $88 a jar at all the sites I found that does sell it, and it isn't many.

So thank you again

Old September 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

You might want to think about trying Prozyme as a cheaper alternative. The difference is that it is made from plant-based enzymes rather than porcine. Plant-based digestive enzymes tend to be effective in a broader ph range than animal-based ones.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:18 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I feel your pain. All the meds Benni has been on lately are attacking my poor credit card. Oh well, that's what I have it for.
I am so glad Nookie is starting to feel better. And look how long with no seizures!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:14 AM

You may find this site helpful http://www.enzymediane.com . This is a person in the US that buys enzymes in bulk and is able to sell them a lot cheaper. They do ship to Canada and there is a page on the site specifically for Canadian buyers. I know a few people that get their enzymes from here.
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:51 PM
-

I was just about to post that website to purchase the enzymes as well.

Also, there is excellent information at this website if you haven't already checked out all the links ....

http://www.epi4dogs.com/
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all so much for the links and info!! Nanook is having problems with the Pancrease-V. He's been soooo sick for the last 2 days, poor little guy. I spoke with the vet a couple of times last night. He had us cut the dose from 1.5 tsp's per feeding to 1/2 tsp per feeding. Nanook was drooling and foaming at the mouth so bad last night

They had us give him the neomycin/pepto/carob mixture once an hour for 6 hrs, but that scared us too. He isn't supposed to have pepto on steroids, but they assured me it was the best thing to do for him.

He seems to be feeling better today

Old September 26th, 2010, 05:53 PM
-

Ratz Rguerts, I so that you can find something suitable to stabilize Nanook.
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Nanook is having problems with the Pancrease-V. He's been soooo sick for the last 2 days, poor little guy.
oh no I'm so sorry , I wish I could help with some advices but I got none.