Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

these two souls were only two days away from being gassed

....but couldn't have it happen...I had nightmares about them so I had to take action....wish I could have taken in more...

anyway, meet my fosters....there are three but the third one, a retriever/greyhound mix is sleeping with my son...

meet the nameless two....
Attached Images

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor

The German Shepard is about 2 years old and the Pug is 9 years old....both a few days away from being put in a gas chamber...
I also have a mix retriever/greyhound who is about 1.5 years old...full of energy and awful awful walker...there is alot to be done before he is placed I guess...so if anyone here can help me learn to walk a dog....I'm all ears....
please remember I usually work with felines...those ....I know how to walk
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

You are amazing.....thank you for taking these guys in. I hope to follow your footsteps in the future. Sweet sweet faces......
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:26 AM

Lucky dogs! I suggest Domino or Dominic for the Shepherd
Old August 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

OH my goodness, how beautiful are they! So very sad that dogs as wonderful as these meet their demise on a regular basis. Bless you for taking them in. I hope your training goes well and all three are rehomed in no time (then you can start again!) The hug is for you by the way!
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

what a sweetheart you are for saving these cuties
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Bless you for taking them in, cpietra! These two look like a couple of sweeties and the third sounds like another! They were so lucky to have found their

What do they think of the kitties, and vice versa?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 12th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Mr. Pug has a new temporary home. Not sure how you seasoned dog foster/carer/givers do it with more than two.....Oy!!!!!
My cousin is looking after the Pug and he is as happy as a piglet in mud...she has another small dog she rescued from the SPCA and together they are great..in the meantime...this little guy may have a forever home as of tonight...however he really really needs to know how to walk on a leash!!!!! He is a greyhound/retriever mix...I worked all morning on trying to keep my hand connected to my arm.... Anyway his name is Jack...and as you can see the shepard feels right at home and Winnie could not care less, unless of course there is food involved
Attached Images

Old August 12th, 2011, 03:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wow, Jack is gorgeous!! I can see a bit of mischief in his eyes.

Winnie is such a good girl, helping the newbies feel at home.

Glad this is all working out. I know how stressful new additions can be, especially when unexpected!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I am glad you are on Hazelrunpack....My cats have been staying away with all the new dogs in the house, but Tess came up earlier yesterday and I noticed that when she is here...the German Shepard salivates...and this afternoon, I noticed he perks up and when Tess decided she wanted nothing to do with him she jumped off her chair and the Shepard gave chase.....now....I know that a shepard has high prey drive but how do I teach her not to chase the cats or anything for that matter
Old August 12th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

cpietra, I know you asked Hazel, but first thing that popped into my mind would be to train the shep with a good "leave it" command. Distract and reward for the attention. It's a start anyhow. Good luck. Oh and if you are in the same room with them you could have the shep on a leash and give a correction as soon as she reacts to the cat. Correct, leave it, reward.
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Dog Dancer....I really appreciate your input...I am willing to try anything at this point. I know there are bunch of you who know a lot about dogs....thanks again and I will keep you posted.
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's all I'd be able to suggest, too, cpietra. I don't have a lot of experience with interspecies introductions. The problem with the 'leave it' is that it does take a while to get it engrained, so make sure the kitties have a safe place to get to. Never leave them together unsupervised. And the tethering sounds like a good idea to me, too.

Old August 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Dog Dancer...I did as you said...and this is what it looked like...as you can see Sam ( shepard) is the only one that seems to be curious about Tess...and I said...NO....and all she did was look...so we will see
Attached Images

Old August 12th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Cpietra16 you are an I dont know how you do it! The GSD made me think of Bendyfoot & Jaida!! Jack looks like he is a curious kinda guy! I agree on the leave it command as well...great advice!

Winnie doesnt seem to concerned about the company!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, Winnie is 13 1/2....as long as you don't touch her food she will accept anyone....
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

well..I think Sam the Shepard is getting along with Winnie...or at least Winnie will tolerate her. She is very submissive towards her...and the cat...well that is a work in progress...
Attached Images

Old August 13th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Cpietra16 what a great picture! they all look like they are getting along...

Is the GSD a tripod? in the first couple of pics she looks like she only has 3 legs and then todays she has 4?? thats why I thought of sweet Jaida....I am loosing it!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Winston, She has all her 4 paws...but may lose one if she keep son trying to eat one of the cats....notice her salivating in the first picture....she just reaised that I have a cat....not just any cat but a fat cat....Tess.

She has been better though...still wouldn't leave her alone yet with the cats...she is just too curious and not sure she understand about the fact that they are part of this household and not her food!!!!
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The drooling might just be from stress--some dogs just get very slurpy when they get nervous. She's obviously not used to cats, and having one around in full view, especially when she doesn't get to chase it, is probably confusing. But she'll get the idea eventually, I'd wager. If Tess is a cuddle cat, would it help if Sam sees you holding Tess? Sam just has to get past the idea of "cats as chasables" to "cats as family members".

Old August 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM

That greyhound's colouring is so much like my Sunshine's that it's amazing. His legs look a lot longer though. And I've seen that ear postiont before!
cpietra - Take something that is a really special treat and take the shepherd (on a leash, so yo can control it) into a room where it's just you, the retriever, the cat, and the treats. Best is if the cat can sit somewhere really high, with an escape route that DOESN"T mean going near the dog. Every time the dog starts to move toward the cat say "Leave it!" Reward even a brief look towards you and away from the cat with a tasty treat. Do this maybe four times and then take the dog away. Repeat later. Never push it. You don't want to stress either cat or dog. If you can't distract the dog easily from the cat, move farther away into a room beside the room with the cat and start there. Only a couple of tries, morning and night. Set the dog up for success. If he fails move back to a distance he can be easily distracted at. When he responds to "Leave it" there, move a little closer. When he is reliable there, move a couple more steps. It takes patience, but it can be done. My dog now tolerates Seuss walking under her belly and between her legs, and only sniffs. (On the other hand, Misty took some of the training into her own paws and Sunshine now considers the big white cat a scary dog eating monster)
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old August 13th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

CPietra,you are amazing to save not only one,but 3 dogs
The GSD,is gorgeous,I am sure someone will be happy to adopt him,Jack is stunning.
To think they were to be gassed...but I suppose so many others were not as lucky..
Just please,be very careful about Tess,the kitty-cat I will never forget
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

thanks ownedbycats, Jack the retriever went o his forever home...and they don't any other pets...I called last night and they said that he is under the bed...all these changes, I guess...very stressful for him. When their daughter looked under the bed Jack growled...i told them to leave the dog alone for a few days...and as far as the GSD..he is the one that looks at the cats with intent to .........(not sure).
The cat growled today and hopefully she will take it as a hint...I do the lead/treat thing during the day....which basically looks like....

cat comes into the room...Sam the shepard looks her way...I call sam..and say no...Sam goes to walk to cat...I pull on lead...say no..give treat. I don't really know what I am doing, but this morning sam looked at the cat...walked to me instead and smelled my hand...so I pretty much taught her to come to me every time she sees a cat and she will get a treat....
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

CPietra,are you hoping to find a home for Sam,or to keep her??
At only 2yrs old,why would she be gassed??
As young as that and a beauty,I cannot believe nobody would adopt her,unless she has aggression issues
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:46 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

At this point, cpietra, I think Sam coming to you for a treat when she sees the cat is marvelous!! If it were me, I'd start training her to sit or lie down when she comes to you to get her treat. Up the ante and keep her brain engaged. But I think the fact that she's now reacting to the cat by distracting herself and coming to you is wonderful!

Old August 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, Sam ( Samantha) is up for adoption. I am just fostering her. She has no aggression towards other animals, kids, or people...but she loves to chase and that is what I am trying her to stop from doing. This morning she eyed a squirrel...I said no...she looked at me...looked back at the squirrel...probably muttered a few choice words under her breath and sat there waiting for me to give her the next command...but she never took her eyes off the squirrel......I am sure if I let her go she would have chased..
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

this is Samantha....looking at treat (empty hand...she now gets hand kisses)...instead of looking at cat that is very close to her....however not sure if she would be this calm when I am not there...
Attached Images