Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old July 11th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Perhaps the OP is taking some time to think things over from a calm and logical perspective.

We are here to offer advise and assist but it only works out if you're open minded and accepting of hearing others suggestions.

Are you willing to do that or should we give up?
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:49 AM

This thread is making me clench my fists and grind my teeth. I can't even come close to expressing how i feel.

"when you walk him anywhere, he needs to lay down to rest every twenty feet"
my very healthy yet lazy peke does this too, and has been doing it since she turned one. The solution we once used - carry her. The solution we now use, and you could use it too, but i doubt you even care - put him in the basket of your stroller (you do have a ten month old, so i guess you still go for walks and have your infant in a stroller). You can now find strollers with enormous baskets, we are currenly going to buy one large enough to carry both of our dogs. And they both love it!

"little johnny come crying bcuz Mugs has snarled and growled and showed his teeth in threat...because little johnny was being a little too aggressive for mugsy's liking"
Little Johnny should learn how to treat small animals and all animals for that matter with respect.

Last edited by Dragonfly; July 11th, 2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah
Dont you dare try to blame your dog for protecting himself when he felt vulnerable under the hands of an aggressive child.
I like this part. Well said...
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Our late maltese x loved to go for walks. But, being that she was so small, after a while she would tire out. She couldn't keep up with us or the rest of the gang. She would run in front of us and start jumping up on our legs and doing her famous whine and bark as a sign that she wanted to be carried. She didn't want to walk anymore. Our solution, we picked her up (she only weighed 10lbs) and we carried her the rest of the way. She went everywhere the family went. These are little dogs, carrying them or putting them in a stroller is a simple solution for when Mugsy gets tired.

Dogs don't need constant supervision all day. Most people who own pets do have a fulltime job. Having someone come in mid day to allow her to relieve herself and for a play session is a good idea.

Quote:
He does not do well at all when we have taken him on several of our excursions and adventures.
I'm sorry, but YOU find a way to put a dog in a raft and go on level three rapids...
YOU figure out a way to bring him camping when he just wants to sit inside on a fluffy pillow
I can understand how a small dog would not like rapids, but I would not put any dog in a raft and go on any rapids, not even a lab! I wouldn't put an infant in one either. They tend to capsize, even with lifejackets on, injuries still can and do happen.

Many people take their dogs camping. It is a great experience for them as well. New smells and sceneries to explore! You could always bring along his favourite pillow to lie on.

A lab is extremely energetic. If they don't get the exercise they require, they can be extremely destructive! If you leave a lab (or any retriever) at home for long periods and they get bored or nervous, you will have a lot of destruction! You cannot rely on kids to exercise a dog properly, or even care for one. Kids are kids and it is not fair for them (or the dog) to have the burden of responsibility. A lab is a large dog that can knock or even drag a child during a walk.
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:37 PM
owned/operated by dogs!

just sick over reading this

You know what??? I agree with NicinNC. And if no one likes my opinion....oh well. It's my opinion

You aren't worthy of having a dog's love and devotion if you are so willing to to get rid of Mugsy at the slightest inconvenience. What did you want? Us to pat you on the back and "Oh..so sorry...here's the name of a rescue to go to?" People on this board love their dogs and would do anything in the world for them.

Go ahead, adopt him out, find a home that will LOVE AND ADORE HIM!!! People that will take him places and take his rest periods into consideration. People who will take the 20 second effort to carry him downstairs to join the family. People who understand the lifelong commitment to a dog and make him a part of the family.

If you think having a lab makes your life easier, think again. You couldn't handle a little dog, what makes you think you can handle a big dog.

In fact, if anyone on this board is in touch with lab breeders/rescue groups in the OP's area, please let them know about this lady.
Kerri (03 Oct 93 - 11 Jan 05) If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to
heaven, and bring you home again
Old July 11th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Ay yi yi.

As an owner of two very large breed dogs, as well as a two year old child, I've gotta tell you that large (er) breeds are, as most of the other posters have said, a LOT of work, moreso than smaller breeds. I just don't get why you want to give Mugsy up for adoption (maybe I missed it somewhere).

If it's because of your lifestyle (rafting, camping, etc), a large breed MUST be kept on lead or tied up (while camping anyways), are far too mobile on a raft, and you'd wind up half the time "saving" them from diving in. (Especially labs as they love their water).

Is there nowhere closeby that you could board the dog while you're away? We send ours to a pet resort, and they come back exhausted, and happy.

Although, reading back, it sounds like you've made up your mind.

Advice: Do NOT get another dog till the kids are older, it sounds like you can't even handle this one. A large breed will be more work.
Old July 11th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by northmom
He is neutered, shots up to date,a nd vet certified for visiting residents in Long Term Care as Pet Therapy for the residents there.
..[/EMAIL]
Also get in touch with your local nursing homes, since he's a PT dog, or find out if another handler can adopt Mugsy. It takes a very special dog to be a PT dog. What a waste.
Old July 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Personally I think the OP is looking for validation for what she is about to do. She won't get it from me.