Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old October 28th, 2010, 06:23 AM

Canna from seed-anybody else?

Hi!
I guess I can call myself a professional grower now.

I don't have a greenhouse yet..but that hasn't stopped me from ordering seed for next year...nor from continued experimentation.

The plans for 10Ksqft greenhouse have long been upgraded to..at least 60K.

Anybody else caught green fever?

I even have relations with major breeders in the UK and the Netherlands now.

Takii continues to be one of my favourites..they are based in Japan. They have Canna from seed..which I believe is going to be quite nifty.

Anybody else out there?

Bryon
Old October 28th, 2010, 05:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It isn't difficult. Soak the seed for 24 hours before putting it in a seeding pot and it will do fine. Just don't expect the plant to get to it's full height the first year with the seed. You will need the corm for that. Good luck.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:52 PM

Hmmm..a few more questions

Hi!
Excellent. There's a bit more to it, of course. 24 is what Takii says..na.

They need 36-48 hours presoak. Also..You must notch them yourself..whatever they do is horribly inadequate. Also..phase 2 of the experiment is underway..I got two out of one by accident..this time it is no accident. Phase two two sets-four have three notches and four have four notches.

It should be interesting.

Question: Do all canna produce seedpods just like my Daylilies did when I didn't deadhead?

I have to place my preorders tomorrow to get the 15% discount from ball/colorlink..so I'm working on that now.

20,000 seed so far..one can never have enough seed. Must..have..more!

>>Oh..I can't wait to see what the fusables are like as well. Again..commerical seed. I don't think they put these in small packets.

Bryon
Old October 28th, 2010, 09:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I suppose you can soak for as long as you want. I never had any issues doing the 24 hr soak. Everyone wants to do it their own way. Of course notching/nicking is always beneficial if you want a faster germination.
No, not all cannas produce seed. More correctly, they may produce the seed pod. It may not contain seed. That, in my experience, is a maturity issue.
Seed pkg size I suppose depends on where you order your seed from. I was/am always able to order smaller pkgs of seed if I was not growing a ton of certain flowers.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM

Doing my own thing! :)

Hi!
No..I do what works. I did follow the instructions from the breeder..and it was horrible..10% Germ. Unacceptable. And the seed is quite expensive..so...well..something had to give.

When you deal with the commercial folks..minimum is 1K. Again..just as you said..depends on what it is and who you buy it from. For the more expensive seed..100 seed/minimum.

Wave Petunias are very expensive..therefore..100/min.

If it's really cheap..25K may be the minimum. Again..it just depends on what it is.

Some stuff you can't grow from seed..cuttings are the way. It does keep me busy, though.

>>>Oh! I never considered celosia as a houseplant..but..I had to move them inside. They are doing quite well.

Bryon

Last edited by brybert; October 28th, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM
150% PRO S/N

I did deal commercially. Here's a couple of sites you can order smaller pkgs from if you are not planning on growing/selling a lot. They have catalogues for both the layman and commercial sellers.

http://stokeseeds.com/

http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/?veseys=...4i51i3lcoogs02