Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 7th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Hi from SC

Hello to all. I have a new Jack Russell puppy - got December 1st. He is trouble so far as we cannot seem to potty train him. (I am now doing the crate method - which I tried originally but didn't seem to work - I am trying again!) But for some reason he would rather go on the floor, and now he is going in the crate and it doesn't seem to bother him much. We can walk him forever and when we come in he goes. I don't know what else to do! But he is a smart dog otherwise. Hopefully all will turn out soon. Nice to meet you all
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:40 AM
banned user

Hi and welcome!

From what I understand, puppies, especially really young ones can take months to fully housetrain. How old is your pup, and do you have a pic?
Also, when training, be consistent... get him used to one method and stick to it. Another thing, if he has too much room in his crate, he may potty in one side and sleep in another... they only need enough room to turn around and lie down... puppies usually don't potty where they have to sleep. Good luck!
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Just out of curiosity, where did you get this little guy?
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Dasher,from my absolute favourite state in the US
I don't have much experience with puppies,but I know JRT's can be a handful,really cute though...a pic please!
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:02 AM

hi to all answerers! Yes the crate is small - he doesn't have much room (its a cat carrier). I got him from a local breeder - she owns 17 of them! I'm not good at doing pictures but I will try - he is 13 weeks old.
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Oh my he is sooooo adorable!

The advice already given---to be consistent--is key. He needs to learn how it's done. If you are trying out different methods he will get confused.

There are number of threads that you can review on potty training puppies---they may be very helpful to you.

If he is in a cat carrier their may still be too much room if he can squat at one end and then lay down right beside his potty spot. Be sure to clean up after his oppsies with vinegar and water to remove the smell. If he keeps smelling his pee he will go back and do it again.

Also, as soon as he gets up in the morning and as soon as you get home he should be taken out to pee. Praise him for going outside too---they like that!

As soon as you see him sniffing or acting like he might pee--run outside with him! This may sound tedious, but it's the effort that's needed to get him trained.

And, be patient. He is only 13 weeks old. He is just a baby. A lot of puppies aren't actually fully trained until anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. I'd anticipate accidents happening until at least the one year mark

Anyways, good luck!! Happy training!
Old January 7th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi and welcome to the board. I hope you start seeing some results just be consistent and constant praise and a treat when he goes outside.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 7th, 2005, 11:17 AM
~Cat Servent~

Welcome! And man is he cute!!! I'm one of the resident Cat Ladies here, so I'm not much help with the potty training stuff.... but I know this board and if you ask... you'll get plenty of knowledgable answers!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 10th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

absolutely adorable Dasher! a hint...

It is best to not clean with any product that is ammonia based. If you get K.O.E. (Kennel Odor Eater) or some such product from the vet office, you will find that he cannot pick up his scent and will not be encouraged to pee where it smells like him or similar to him. Believe me, after 18 puppies together, I found this works wonders.
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:16 PM

OMG is your pup ever cute, he's no bigger than your phone
Patience, patience, patience and praise...
As for stains... I strongly believe in Dupont product ( ProSolve (in the red bottle) they have one for pets, but it doesn't smell as fresh )
or vinegar.. this also neutralizes the odors ( recommended by Dog Expert. Dr. Coren )
Old January 10th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Red face Soooo cute!!

Your pup is so cute!! I'm glad you found this site when you did. I had no idea it even exicted until today. I'm sure you'll get lots of help with your training, I'm slowly learning. Our pup is 6 months and still not trained, I geuss I'm just a failure. Anyways good luck with yours. Nice to meet you.