Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 27th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Dog with acute back pain..

Hi All,

Let me first say I did already visit the vet, and certainly am not finished seeking help there, but some advice and general idea's on what I can do would be much appreciated.

I got Frisky, a 2 and a half year old poodle, bichon frizee mix from the SPCA about 4 months ago, and he fully deserved his name Frisky being vibrant, happy and lively. He runs and plays like a rabbit until he seemed to hurt himself while playing. In the middle of his run he jelped hard, and came back to me ears flat on his head, tail between his legs.

He's lost his zest for play, his eyes show he's in pain, and shies away from everyone but me. Although I would love to hold him and comfort him all day long, I obviously cannot.

The vet took X-rays, after finding a painful spot in his lower back, but it turned out to be fine.
After being on pain killers andanti inflammatory for 4 days there is no change.

Strange thing is, he likes to walk...does so with his tail up ( to me it seems to say I feel good ) even tends to being charged up to run, but I hold him back to be safe for now.
But then, he can just stop, shake his body like he's had a bath, and jelp right in the middle of it, causing him to instantly become the fearful, looked like I just beat him dog, and it breaks my heart to see him like that.

If pain can be this instant, yet he can walk again 5 minutes later, could he have a disk problem that did not show up? Pinched nerve?

Any advice would be much appreciated, I 'll do anything to see him back to being happy and pain free.

Thanks

Laura.
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

You're right about that tail. I've said before on this board that Den-Den's tail is like a barometer. Tail up means confident and happy. Tail down means "I need a bath", I'm not getting the attention I deserve, or "You're getting ready to go out and leave me!"
Old September 27th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I would speak to your vet about accupunture it seems to really work well for hip and back problems in dogs.
Old September 29th, 2004, 07:36 PM

acute back pain continued...

Thanks to those that replied, I will keep these answers handy in case it gets worse ( or does not improve)

I did speak with another vet ( with a very good reputation ) who confirmed that indeed with a younger dog, X rays may not show any trouble (yet)

Anyhow, I am glad to report that he seems to be improving. Having said that, I now am dealing with a possible related problem.
I thought it was because he was in pain, but since a few weeks, he is showing signs of either fear, or protection. he follows me around wherever I go, and while before he seemed friendly with everybody in the house, he now simply shies away from everybody, and does not want to be touched. I tried to excourage everybody to be gentle with him, but he starts showing his teeth and has snapped at fingers on a few occasions.

I wonder if he's trying to let everybody know he only wants one friend, his master, but is that possible? I suppose one of the problems is that everybody goes to either school or work, while I work from home, so he always has me by his side.
Today, he actually did end up biting my daughter, and she does not have a mean bone in her, and is always good to him. It bothers me a great deal to see him snap at the hand that is so loving, and I did not look at him for nearly the entire day.
I was hoping this would make him realize he's in the wrong, but I don't think it worked, because he still hides in my arms later in the day.
I do notice that he seems terribly submissive, when I raise my voice he sinks through his legs, shakes and lies on his back as to say" i know I know, you're the boss" but I don't need him to fear me? I like him to understand..but he does not quit get it I think.

can obedience training teach a dog to accept others?

Darn, I write too much..

So Sorry.