Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old June 24th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Question Please help identify my dog

Hi! Can you assist in a case of mistaken identity?

I fostered my dog from a local humane shelter during hurricane Katrina (August 2005). This is Boone.

AKA: Stinky Boy

The local shelter needed to evacuate all animals due to potential storm serge / flooding. The deal was to simply return after the storm passed OR adopt. As it turns out, he's a great dog, we chose to adopt!

He's about 1 1/2 now, stands about 2'9" (2'1" shoulder height) and weighs around 58 pounds.

The shelter employees said he's a shepard mix when I picked him up but almost everyone says he's a pit - I don't see it..., am I in denial?

The bad news is, I live in a deed restricted community with a busybody neighbor who seems to think my pooch is a pit bull and possibly a threat to the neighborhood. About a month ago, he called the animal police to come check the puppy out. The officer informed me of an anonomous complaint and dangers associated with certain breeds.

He initially said Pit Bull Mix on the report untill I persuaded him to have another look at the jaw / snoot.

This animal is very protective and definately acts like a guard dog.

He barks, growls and even snarls at strangers. The hair on his back stands up like a RazorBack!! I dig that the most!!

I need to know what breed he is once and for all so I can get the association off my tail, so to speak.

I would really appreciate any opinions.

Old June 24th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Maybe ridgeback with greyhound or something? It's definitely not a clear mix to me.
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:32 AM

shepherd x greyhound x coonhound? A definite mishmash, that's for sure.

I'm a little concerned at your saying:
Quote:
He barks, growls and even snarls at strangers. The hair on his back stands up like a RazorBack!! I dig that the most
Having an aggressive dog is nothing to be proud of - it's a huge responsibility, even liability. If your dog follows through with his threats, he's dead.

Please call a trainer or behaviourist and get your dog started on obedience training and re-socialization as soon as possible.
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Width of the jaws and brindle colour definitely ring a pitbull bell... temperament should be very sound or else, this dog is indeed a potential risk, whatever his breed. Behaviour modification would definitely be a must.
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I would guess that he could be a Dutch Shep cross

http://www.vonfalconer.com/dutchshepherd.html
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He barks, growls and even snarls at strangers. The hair on his back stands up like a RazorBack!!
Most breeds will have hair stand up on their back when excited in pretection, defence mode, there are some dog that have a natural ridge that is there all the time, like the rhodesian ridgeback or it could be a cowlick like my one greyhound has, with any greyhound that I have seen it does not appear on their backs but on their necks like so

I don't seen no greyhound in him, but I do see multiple breeds , the broad forehead and basic torso bodyshape is suggestive(I am not saying is) of possibly pitbull,
http://www.apbtconformation.com/topline.htm

Here is example of head studies of
the middle diagram does have a close resemblance is shape to your 4th posted picture. http://www.apbtconformation.com/headstudy2.htm

More headstudies http://www.apbtconformation.com/headstudy3.htm

The muzzle jaw tail and length of torso is where other breeds become apparent,
Could he be possible part pitbull? Possibly
Heck he could even be a newfoundland, boxer, rat terrier, eskie mix which could potentially produce the broader head, short nose, brindle coloring, curled tail coarse short coat and body structure and another pup from the same litter could end up looking and behaviour totally different.
Old June 24th, 2006, 12:06 PM

He looks like a shepherd pittbull possibly something else in there, but a clear mixing of breeds. Especially with the height/weight you have stated.

If your dog snarls/barks/lunges at strangers, that would be a concern. If the community notices this, I am sure they will not have a hard time labeling it as a dangerous breed and having the dog removed. That would be a horrible situation. Please take him for training, it is much needed in this situation. Also do lots and lots of socilization.

Good luck with your pup, and thank you for saving a life.
Old June 24th, 2006, 12:26 PM

Talking I appreciate all comments

Thank you LL1 for the link. The pooch in the 3rd photo down appears an exact match!

There is really no cause for concern Kaytris . I did not mean to imply I encourage him to growl at others, more impressed at his stature for protection - I dig THAT the most. Perhaps I could have omitted "snarls" or even the phrase, "I dig that the most" which is really just a play on words.

I was the victim of an occupied burglary (3 individuals entered through a window left ajar to allow a breeze at around 3am before I decided to adopt a DOG ) - history certainly will NOT repeat with this beast by my side and that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside!

I am considering some type of behavioral schooling for him - At what age is best to start??

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by Stinky Boy; June 24th, 2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old June 24th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

My knowledge of dogs are a bit limited,but I do not see Pittie at all,he's too slender and I think he has the head of a Lab the rest of him,I could not even begin to guess.
As far as brindle,there are other dogs,not only pits with tht colour,right
Old June 24th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
My knowledge of dogs are a bit limited,but I do not see Pittie at all,he's too slender and I think he has the head of a Lab the rest of him,I could not even begin to guess.
Yep..alot of breeds come in brindle..even great danes

Old June 24th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterdane
having the dog removed. That would be a horrible situation.
This is exactly what is happening to Stinky Boy now, which is why I am seeking advice on this loving animal who expresses himself in a most impressive way.

The way I see him, he's a dog with a rough begining simply protecting the environment (climate control with 3 square meals a day) in which he now resides.

The animal control officer suggested to me that pit bulls have a some tendecy to suddenly turn.., even on their owners. I am trying to determine if I should be living in fear as the officer suggested or continue to enjoy the companionship of this warm, furry, highly energentic creature.

Thank you for your assistance..,
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Boy
This is exactly what is happening to Stinky Boy now, which is why I am seeking advice on this loving animal who expresses himself in a most impressive way.

The way I see him, he's a dog with a rough begining simply protecting the environment (climate control with 3 square meals a day) in which he now resides.

The animal control officer suggested to me that pit bulls have a some tendecy to suddenly turn.., even on their owners. I am trying to determine if I should be living in fear as the officer suggested or continue to enjoy the companionship of this warm, furry, highly energentic creature.

Thank you for your assistance..,
Don't let the officer make you think you need to live in fear. I have a shepherd/husky/staffie cross and he is the best dog ever You don't have a pittbull (not that it would matter). Your dog may have pittbull in him, but you will never know. You can even make up a breed like texas sand hound. People would believe you

I cannot offer alot advice, and there are more qualified people on this site that can help you. I took my staffie mix to puppy classes and training classes. It has helped a great deal as he listens to me and my fiance. If a stranger comes up that he is wary about, we notice the signs and put him in a sit and assure him that things are ok, he trusts us and knows that everything is fine. This is rare though because we have socialized him in every situation we can think of. My chihuahuas on the other hand...mini mouths I call them. They are a handful
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Boy
Well it's rather depressing that an AC officer would make such an idiotic, absolutely false statement. Besides which, I think people see brindle and thing "pitbull" even though, as others have said, tons of other breeds can have the same colour coat. Your dog doesn't look like a pitbull to me at all.

I know you like the fact that the dog is protective, but he should not just go around reacting aggressively to normal situations in which there is no threat. Dogs who lack the ability to judge situations appropriately are a huge responsibility. Perhaps getting the help of a behaviorist would be
a good place to start.
Old June 24th, 2006, 05:18 PM

You can start training right away... http://www.apdt.com (US) and http://www.cappdt.ca (Canada) both have trainer searches, or you can ask your vet or your humane society for referrals.
Old June 24th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Hey Chico, not that I'm questionning what you think of this one dog here, but you made me smile because not all pitbulls are short and stocky !

Have a look at Liam, one of my fosters, who is pure pitbull:

I think he's gorgeous, but it's besides the point here !
Old June 24th, 2006, 07:56 PM

Search out Jen Steele's post on this website (probably in the breed/BSL section. She works with dogs "accused" of being pit bulls...and has some great information.
Old June 24th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh well,that just shows how much I know '
I do know they are not all short and stocky,none of the pitts I've seen were,it's just something about this dogs body,but maybe he's just skinny
The white Pit-Bull is truly gorgeous!
I should probably just stay out of guessing-games...
Old June 24th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Like Chico, I see the head of a lab in your dog. Especially that side view, it screams lab to me.
Old June 25th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's puppyluv maybe I am not totally off the mark
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I dont see much, if any, Pitbull in that dog. He is gorgeous though, I also immediately thought lab mix.
It sucks that just because a dog is Brindle, we have to FEAR that they will be labeled as one of the banned breeds.
Many many breeds can and do have brindle coloring.
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Have a look at Liam, one of my fosters, who is pure pitbull:
man... i could have sworn Liam was a dogo... or at least, a pogo... photos can be misleading eh?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old June 25th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Arrow I appreciate everybody's contribution !

Thank you for the link Kaytris, I was able to find a few local phone numbers to contact on Monday Morning!!

And Thank you erykah for the kind words! He certainly is gorgeous! I've grown very fond of him since he moved in last hurricane season! Something good from something bad (Hurricanes are a real DRAG, can be VERY bad).

I would like to emphasize the growling and snarling happens ONLY from inside the home when he see's (or smells) a stranger outside, ...or visits to the vets office!

It is sometimes an awesome display of primitive communication - This dog can't be Cujo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cujo Can He?

To Summarize:

Everyone agrees he is a Mixed-breed dog.

Three see a likeness resembling a Pit Bull

Three see a likeness resembling a Lab

If anyone is interested, I also tend to think he resembles a Lab.

I really appreciate everybody's contribution - Thank you for your help in identifying my dog.
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

So in the new fad of giving mixed breeds a cutsie name, why don't you just do that for Stinkyboy and and all the is he a??

I agree that his head is very labish. HIs muzzle is nowhere nearlt wide enough for a pitty and I think that pitties have a very distinct forehead with small eyes when veiwed from the side. Again, your dog doesn't have that feature either.

So we got lab and hmmm...brindle great dane? (just to assign the color to something other than a pitty)

Labradane!

Great Ador!

Either way he is not a pit then and you have given him a breed
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I say Lab and Brindle Boxer....Labraboxer or Boxadore . I don;t see any pittie in him at all.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 26th, 2006, 01:01 PM

He is very handsome indeed, I see plott hound/lab, his hair is alittle thicker and course by the look of it but that's where the lab could come in, I wouldn't be overly concerned with what the AC officer told you, take him to obedience and look/recognise his signs, enjoy your new boy and it's wonderful that you took him in
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

I dont see any pittie in that dog either, not that it would matter
anyway as he is a little beauty.
To me, he looks like a lab/boxer or shepherd/boxer cross.
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Lab cross

I think there is lab in him..I have boxers & have tried to look for any slight resemblence but can't see any boxer ..though the brindle coat could be.. he is gorgeous :love:
Old September 17th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Well I see lab too - not sure of the rest - arent there Brindle Pitbulls - but then again lots of dogs can be brindle.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old September 17th, 2006, 05:31 PM
banned user

My best bet would be a plott hound mix. http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/pub...s/sy-plott.htm
Old July 22nd, 2007, 08:45 PM

Hi StinkyBoy

I have a dog that looks just like yours. We were told she was lab/plott hound mix. When strangers approach our property her hair also stands straight up on her back. She is not agressive at all. I doubt either one of our dogs has pitbull in them, there body type is very different. My dog is very sweet, smart and very loyal. If you find out any other info. on possible breeds, I would like to know! Thanks! I will try to post a picture later!