Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM

In need of insight.

Hi all, hope all is well. I'm new the the site and in need of a little help. I got my dog about a month ago from an animal rescue shelter. At the time he had fleas, they sprayed him with Frontline and gave him a pill. About a week went by and I noticed rice like grains and at the petstore the lady told me he has tapworm. She gave up some stuff and gave him a half a pill(hes a small breed pup) and it ended. Now about a week ago I noticed long noodle type things that seemed as worms, I freaked out and gave him another tap worm pill. Gone seen nothing more. Yesterday I seen again a worm type thing. its about 3-5 inches and is just skinny and worm looking to best describe it. I haven't gave him anything but yet waited till he pooped again. This time his poop contains a little substance that as a look of clear jelly with a red blood looking jelly texture. I switched his food but did it gradually, since fully switching over his poop has been softer.
My two questions would be, do you think he has worms, if so why doesn't he always poop it out and two, what do you think could be the cause of that substance in his poop.
I really appreciate all the help and heres a picture of roscoe. Any thoughts of what he is?! They said at the rescue shelter shih Tzu Pekingese mix but I think its shih tzu collie and Papillon mix,ha
Thanke again and take good care!
Attached Images

Old October 7th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

awwwwwww What a sweetie

Has he been to a Vet? And how old ?

Some of the more experienced members will be along with there thoughts.

As i have no clue about his breed
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Opps my bad

Welcome to Pets.ca
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
awwwwwww What a sweetie

Has he been to a Vet? And how old ?

Some of the more experienced members will be along with there thoughts.

As i have no clue about his breed
No I haven't taken him to the vet, he is due for his shots on Saturday and I wanted to wait it out to see what he poops next. At the rescue shelter they gave his science diet and i switched him to avoderm, hes been on that for maybe a week and this has all happened since hes been on avoderm full time. Hes about 3 months old now, just over 3 months
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:37 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Welcome to the forum first off. ok now, the little rice worms are definately tapeworms, the long spagetti like ones are round worm, when you go to the vet take a stool sample with you and tell the vet what you've seen. PLEASE don't give your baby pills from someone else especially if you don't know what they are. over the counter meds can do more damage than good. The gel substance is pretty normal with a food switch was the blood red or dark in color, oh and the little guy definately looks like he has sheltie in him.
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM

hey aslan thanks so much for the help. I worded my orginal post very 'dumbly'. The lady from the pet store gave me Tape Worm Tabs from the company TradeWinds. She was extremely nice and gave my 25% off of the original price.

The red color was a just normal color red, wasn't really dark to my recalling of it.

I also very much appreciate the help, I don't want to come off as coming on this forum just to find the 'what is' with my pup. I intend to post on here but the downfall on this is when it comes to animals on a medical level I'm lost, so I am grateful that there are people like you I can find on here to help people like me.
Thanks again for this and the coming help.
Take Care
Jeremy
Old October 7th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Jeremy, I love your dog.
Over the counter meds (that don't need a prescription from the vet) are next to useless. When you take your dog to the vet for his shots, take a fecal sample with you and tell him what you saw (sounds to me like roundworm and tapeworm). Maybe this little guy hasn't been wormed at all, as would be normal for young puppies. The vet will give you something that actually works.
Don't waste your money on OTC flea stuff either.
Just a tip
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
owned by goldens

I agree.........

Sounds like tapeworm and roundworm. Please take him in for 1st shots and a deworming from the vet, they will know what the little pup needs, sure is a cutie, I also agree a sheltie mix.........russte
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Hey, I appreciate the insight. The tape worm pills actually seemed to work, to my knowledge. The rice like substance is no longer around his butt and doesn't get left behind when he lays down. Im not sure what shots are going to be givin at the vet. the Animal Rescue shelter gave a health record sheet and recorded that:
drontal plus was given 8/25 and that removes internal parasites
frontline plus was given 8/25 to prevent fleas and tickes from reproducing on dog
heartgard/sentinel tri-heart was given 8/25 and that is prevention of heartworm
and capstar whish was given 8/25 and that kills any fleas
(does it seem that was alot of stuff to give from one day?!)

When we get Roscoe on 9/1 she sprayed him with frontline to kill all fleas and also gave him i think is a capstar to kill all fleas aswell

Thanks again

*here are some more pics of Roscoe...like his sweater,haha
take care
Attached Images

Old October 7th, 2008, 07:34 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

omg, i love his little hoody sounds like he may have come from a place that may have had a flea issue, the drontal is a de-wormer so he has been done at some point. the fact your not seeing any worms at the moment doesn't mean the meds worked, you don't always see them. I don't want you to think we're picking on you for giving him the meds this lady gave you. OTC meds are not only not a good product but many are dangerous to your animal. I looked at the tradewinds site and it's similar to something like, petvalue,petcetra, etc. Definately show the vet the information you just gave us, excellent records. Makes sure little guy doesn't get stuff he doesn't need.
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
omg, i love his little hoody sounds like he may have come from a place that may have had a flea issue, the drontal is a de-wormer so he has been done at some point. the fact your not seeing any worms at the moment doesn't mean the meds worked, you don't always see them. I don't want you to think we're picking on you for giving him the meds this lady gave you. OTC meds are not only not a good product but many are dangerous to your animal. I looked at the tradewinds site and it's similar to something like, petvalue,petcetra, etc. Definately show the vet the information you just gave us, excellent records. Makes sure little guy doesn't get stuff he doesn't need.
Thank you so much and I don't feel picked on at all, I feel educated!!!
I'll keep you updated when I know more.
Take Care!!!
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

De-worming normally takes more than one treatment to totally get rid of them and meds made to get rid of round shaped worms (roundworm, hookworm, whipworms) do not generally work on tapeworms.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
De-worming normally takes more than one treatment to totally get rid of them and meds made to get rid of round shaped worms (roundworm, hookworm, whipworms) do not generally work on tapeworms.
Yeah I figured,haha!!! I wasn't sure what it was really and I knew he had tapeworm before so I figured it was that. I go to the vet on Saturday for his shots and go from there. Thanks again for the information, really really appreciate it!!!
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
-

had to sneak back and look at the hoody picture again good luck on saturday.
Old October 9th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Tooo Cute! He looks like an Ewok with the hoodie on! Welcome to the board!

In Memory: Spot, Reese, Scrunk, and Nikki - always in my heart
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM
-

omg what a cute puppy !!!
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Thank y'all so much for the kind comments on Roscoe!!!
We were just 'jamming' out to ice ice baby and great balls the fire...his favorite songs haha looks like hes gonna go soon...tirrrred baby