Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Hello and help!

Hello fellow furbaby lovers. I didn't know this place existed...wow! I wish I had found it sooner but better late then never.

We have three babies. Saranissa is a 12.5yo golden/lab mix, Freckles 13yo redtick coonhound, and Misty 16yo siamese mix. We've had all of them since they were very very young and are quite attached.

Saranissa was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor after having a couple of very bad seizures. She had a CT scan, spinal and bloodwork done. I don't remember the size of the tumor but it was pretty large. The vet said she had about two months or more to live. So far she's been with us four months. She is on potassium bromide and pheno and steroids. The pheno helped keep the seizures to twitches but lately they have gotten a bit worse. The hard part is she's having more and more trouble getting up and walking. My husband and I take turns sleeping on the sofa since she can't make it up stairs anymore. The last several days she's not been quite as happy and struggles more and more with getting up and walking. We have a pet sitter that comes in half way through the day so that she isn't alone and gets outside for a short, slow walk.

Today my husband said we will see how this week goes to make a decision on whether to keep her with us longer. She doesn't appear to be in any pain.

How do we know when it is the right time to give them a peaceful passing?
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry about Saranissa. Is she eating?
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Yes she still eats. Not as much as she was but she does eat. And she still wants to be around us.
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm sorry you're going through this, gabby.

Follow your heart--you'll know when it's time. When the quality of her life becomes a burden, it will be time. If she's still eating and drinking, and loves to be around you, it sounds like she's not quite ready to leave you. But it's a decision you'll have to make. It would be so much easier if they could talk, eh?

Make your decision with a loving heart and then don't second-guess yourself afterward. Do what you think is best for your girl, and she'll never blame you for it or love you less for it.

You're in our thoughts and prayers.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."