Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 16th, 2005, 01:40 PM

'The officers befriended the dogs'

A few weeks ago there was a story on the Hamilton news about a house that was 'surrounded' because they had gotten a tip that there was someone being held against their will there. The police went up to the door and heard what they thought were gunsots. They backed off, called for backup, surrounded the house and contacted the people inside. The woman who lived there came out almost right away but the young man visiting refused to come out. It came to light that the young man had a warrent out for his arrest. (apparantly the 'gunshots' they heard were from a music cd they were listening to)

While the news was reporting on all of this, they mentioned that there were 2 pitbulls kept in the backyard.... cut to picture of wooden fence with red eyes staring out, jumping around and barking. Then one of the senior offices is on camera and the reporter asks about the dogs (in my head I am hearing.... great another story about 'bad' pitbulls, I really hope they didn't shoot them). The officer says 'while securing the backyard the office befrended the 2 pitbulls" saying this with a big smile on his face (I was jumping up and down excited about it, I thought yeah for the dogs). Suddenly that was the last you heard from the office and the last time they mentioned the dogs.

I was so upset about the whole thing. just because there was no grusome story about the 'dangerous, killer dogs' they cut it out all together, what is wrong with saying 'yes here are some beautiful, loving and gentle animals'.

Anyway, I don't know if this is in the right section, while it is not from a newspaper, it was still news :P
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM

'The officers befriended the dogs'

It's pretty sad but true. The media won't report on pit bulls unless it has to do with an attack on a child, or where the pit bull had to be shot. It really makes me sick. I've written to a few reporters asking them why they try and hurt such a beautiful breed of dog. Not one has been able to give me an intelligent answer. It makes me sad that people only see one side of this breed but not their gentle loving side.