Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 1st, 2013, 05:50 PM

Question for Ontario dog owners

Hi there Ontario dog owners, I've a question about living in Ontario under the pitbull ban.

First off I've a big mutt named Charlie who's a Boxer/Lab cross. He's a huge head and does have a bit of a mastiffy pitty look to him.

So my question is do any of you Ontarian dog owners think me and Charlie might get into trouble do to the pitbull ban? From reading the bylaws it sounds like a dog only need to look like a pitbull to be seized by dog control. So I'm wondering what it's really like living in Ontario.

I want to know because I went to school in the Kingston area several years ago and fell in love with Ontario from Frontenac County to Stratford. I'm hoping to move back there and setup a doggie daycare/kennel/rescue and rehab.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterBork; November 1st, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:59 PM

It would help if you had maybe papers that indicated the kind of mix breed your puppers is? I don't know if it would hold up, but it would be a start, for sure.
Old November 1st, 2013, 06:52 PM

No papers unfortunately, Charlies a rescue mutt. Only making an educated guess as to his breed heritage.
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBork View Post
No papers unfortunately, Charlies a rescue mutt. Only making an educated guess as to his breed heritage.
Hmmm. Maybe one of those DNA test things? Although, not much proof in those. Maybe it's something you could ask your local vet about? Maybe they could provide something?
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

It's too bad dogs can't have a face job to look difference. Unfortunately your dog does look like a pitbull in the head .
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:34 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

without proof I wouldn't risk it. Just google the stories and you will read all about our sickening laws. I am ashamed of them! Charlie is gorgeous BTW!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 2nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Your rescue papers should state the supposed breed mix and might be a last recourse that would help you out in the event, God Forbid, someone took issue with your dog. Boxer x Lab is not an unusual mix.

But sadly even dogs with absolutely no pit type in them have run into trouble. At few years ago near me Police shot a confused and upset doggy who had escaped her fenced yard. She was a chow mix and after photos were published she looked more chow than anything else. But someone said she was a pit mix.

With your plans you would have to hold yourself and your dog up to exemplary standards. You'd want to make yourself known in order to attract potential owners for your rescues, advertise your intended boarding business. You and your dog would soon be known and someone might not like it, let alone your dog. We live in a sad, sad world sometimes.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

It sure it a sad sad world . I know some people that had a St. Bernard and there was an article in a newspaper about the dog being fed a vegetarian diet and how healthy is was on this diet. Some crackpot read the story and felt 'bad' for the St. Bernard and found out where it lived and poisoned the poor dog . I met the dog and he was fine looking and not too thin and had plenty of energy . There was no needs for the person to had killed it.
A crackpot could do the same to the OP dog , unfortunately there are crackpots everywhere. I personally feel there should be ban on some dog owners instead of the bred of their dog. The OP T dog is beautiful .
Old November 4th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBork View Post

So my question is do any of you Ontarian dog owners think me and Charlie might get into trouble do to the pitbull ban? From reading the bylaws it sounds like a dog only need to look like a pitbull to be seized by dog control. So I'm wondering what it's really like living in Ontario.

You have read the law correctly. Even with papers you can have your dog taken away just because it looks like a pit bull, resulting in a lot of legal fees should you choose to fight to get it back. It's a horribly, stupid law.

It seems some communities are worse than others. Here in Kingston I haven't heard of any horror stories.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey