Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 29th, 2001, 12:06 PM

Cat stopped purring - Answered by Dr. Slome

My cat milly is three years old and stopped purring about 3 months ago. She used to purr all the time but now does not purr at all. Is anything wrong? Her life has not changed and she is has not been treated differently apart from getting extra fuss!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:08 PM

Thumbs up Sometimes they stop

I asked my Aunt who has 12 cats about what she did when she had the same problem as you. She said that it can some times happen. Her 4 older cat stopped purring in the same fashion as your, she took them each to the vet and was told that sometimes older cats just do not purr any longer. It does not mean that they are sick or unhappy it may just be the way they are.

My oldest cat Nikki (I have four cats and four dogs but I am no expert on them )is around 3 yrs old and is a rambo outdoors kinda cat. She stopped purring about 6 months ago and the vet told us that she was fine and we should not worry.

I guess the best thing to do it keep loving your little one up. If she purrs then hey, she will keep you up at night. If not then at least it will be happy from the love.

If you are still not sure then maybe a quick trip to the vet or even a phone call might help. My vet in St Joesph MO has often seen one of my cats without charging me a full visit unless they had to run tests.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you sure she really stopped purring? Sometimes cats' purrs change and you might not be able to hear it. The next time you are petting her and she seems very happy, put a finger on her throat and see if you can feel any vibrations.

I had a cat who purred so softly that was the only way I could tell he WAS purring.
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Administrator

cat stopped purring

Is Milly still able to meow, if not she may have a form of laryngitis which could be viral. Has she been vaccinated? If she is still eating and is happy, and nothing has changed and it is not viral, then I may be stumped too.

It may just be a behaviour change internally or there is some anatomical damage of her larynx. If something is just not right, have her medically checked out. This may involve an anesthetic and an intra oral exam of her larynx for problems ( may find a polyp or something there). You could often try and co-ordinate this anaesthetic with a dental cleaning which in most cases will usually need to be done properly at 3 years old in most pets on average.

Good luck

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street
Units 40-42
Thornhill, On.
L4J 7Y3
Tel: (905) 771-9855
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Dr.Slome. That is very informative!
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:30 AM

My 13 year old cat stop purring?

I notice my cat stop purring she always had a sharp purr but this morning she's not purring. she's been sleeping alot she still eats and drinks her water. am worried. Maybe she's getting old? I notice she has slow down.
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:43 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like it's vet time, GoldieTheCat. With the lethargy you've noticed, it seems like there's more going on there than just lack of purring. You should at the very least have a blood panel run on your girl and bring in a fecal sample.

Cats are very good at hiding when they don't feel well, so the sooner you can get her to the vet for a once over, the better. If she's sick, you don't want to wait till she's too ill to hide it anymore.

Good luck with your kitty! Hope it's just a general mellowing as she ages, but when you see multiple changes in behavior like that, it's always a good idea to get her checked out.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."