Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 24th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Kitty Consort

Ringworm risks in shelters

I'm not quite sure what forum this post belongs in, so will place in general here, and hope thats ok.

For quite some time now, I have been giving serious thought to volunteering at an animal shelter in some capacity. I have the time, the desire, and the commitment. I thought now would be a good time to proceed.
However, I am petrified of ringworm.
I know that is some cases, it can be treated quite easily, but other strains are stubborn, very hard to eradicate. I have never had to deal with ringworm, but know of people who've had a long and frustrating battlle with this fungus. Their pets, their children and themselves becoming infected and reinfected several times over. A nightmare of seemingly never-ending bleaching, vacuuming ,lyme dips and Program treatments.
I've heard people joke that the only sure-fire way to get rid of ringworm spores is to burn the house down. A bit drastic:

Long-haired, indoor Persian cats are the most succestible to ringworm, and as I have two, the thought of inadverently bringing this home is the one thing, the only thing, that puts me off.
As all volunteers would be faced with the same health issues, I wonder how great the risk reallly is?
Would changing my clothes and cleaning shoes at the end of the day safely protect me from the threat of picking up any ringworm spores?
Is this concern I have a valid one, or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks for any feedack on this.
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
I'm not quite sure what forum this post belongs in, so will place in general here, and hope thats ok.

For quite some time now, I have been giving serious thought to volunteering at an animal shelter in some capacity. I have the time, the desire, and the commitment. I thought now would be a good time to proceed.
However, I am petrified of ringworm.
I know that is some cases, it can be treated quite easily, but other strains are stubborn, very hard to eradicate. I have never had to deal with ringworm, but know of people who've had a long and frustrating battlle with this fungus. Their pets, their children and themselves becoming infected and reinfected several times over. A nightmare of seemingly never-ending bleaching, vacuuming ,lyme dips and Program treatments.
I've heard people joke that the only sure-fire way to get rid of ringworm spores is to burn the house down. A bit drastic:

Long-haired, indoor Persian cats are the most succestible to ringworm, and as I have two, the thought of inadverently bringing this home is the one thing, the only thing, that puts me off.
As all volunteers would be faced with the same health issues, I wonder how great the risk reallly is?
Would changing my clothes and cleaning shoes at the end of the day safely protect me from the threat of picking up any ringworm spores?
Is this concern I have a valid one, or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks for any feedack on this.

I live in a petri dish called "Florida"...fungus love us. I have worked in the worse conditions imaginable for a shelter and ring worm is the least of worries. You see a few cases, and the people can get it too. I have been known (in jest) as the "test subject", ....if something is to be caught by humans, let Karin near it. Scabies..ringworm..."My" test is conclusive. I was taught very early to dab either bleach or Listerene on the spot, leave for 5 minutes then wash off, repeat 3 X a day. Works for me and all who taught me this trick. This is not for animals! Only people.

This is mainly a contact issue so do not worry about bringing it home. Always wash your hands coming and going as usual.

(Scabies is a different Tx of course)

Note: Volunteers are rarely allowed near any animal with any illness. If you have experience such as a vet tech or other, you may assist the vet or tech on staff. The shelter hospital is the last to get any help from community service or volunteers. Believe me, they need the help too.
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:13 PM
AmInaL

I have worked at a veterinary clinic for the past 6 months as an assistant, we actually had this conversation at work not too long ago. The girls that have been there for 15 years have said they have had 2 cases of ringworm in that time frame, and one case of scabies. It didn't get really out of hand. 2 girls actually got ringworm, the rest of the staff were treated as well, but never actually got it.

I don't know about shelters, but that's the prevalence at my clinic anyway.

This is with direct contact as well, I don't know how much contact you will have as a volunteer with the sickes.
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Nice to know what it looks like - NOW

Toes the cat was a stray living on a pier. When he got into the restaurant's kitchen as somebody opened the back door we met for the first time. I was a student and the full timers had been feeding him Salmon for a week. It was raining really hard so we couldn't toss him back out..he came home with me.

I bathed him, de-fleaed him and flaked off his little scabs all weekend. Monday after school we went to the vets. I told her about the little scabs I had been picking off and she pulled out a special light - looked at me and said ....... that's ring worm.

GROSS.
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsandacat
Toes the cat was a stray living on a pier. When he got into the restaurant's kitchen as somebody opened the back door we met for the first time. I was a student and the full timers had been feeding him Salmon for a week. It was raining really hard so we couldn't toss him back out..he came home with me.

I bathed him, de-fleaed him and flaked off his little scabs all weekend. Monday after school we went to the vets. I told her about the little scabs I had been picking off and she pulled out a special light - looked at me and said ....... that's ring worm.

GROSS.
The special light was a black light. It luminates a fungus..Ringworm is not a worm but a fungus and animals are not the culprit.
Really...it is nothing to fear..
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Kitty Consort

Thanks for feedback

This does put my mind at ease. I am going to attend their next orientation meeting, and will ask them about this as well. It certainly makes sense that animals in quarantine would not be handled by volunteers. My fear stemmed from the idea of just picking up the ringworm spores withought actually having this direct contact.
If that is not likely, or even possible,then I dont think I have anything to worry about.
A couple of "horror stories" of very stubborn ringworm fungus that I'm aware of made it appear a dreaded curse, plus the fact that this can be transferred to people was worrisome.

It follows that if it "were" a huge problem in shelters and vet clinics, there would be more stringent precautions in place to protect not just the animals but the staff and volunteers.

Thanks for your help!
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:08 PM

just thought that i would let you know that i had ringworm on my back. don't know how i got it (don't worry not from a shelter ). I'm not sure about all ringworm but my doctor just told me to put athletesfoot cream on it three times a day and it went away in about a week. it itched but not too bad, more than anything it just felt weird, bumby, so don't worry even if you do get it (don't know how prevelent it is in shelters) as long as you treat it like the doctor says it shouldn't be too hard to get rid of. at least mine wasn't.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
This does put my mind at ease. I am going to attend their next orientation meeting, and will ask them about this as well. It certainly makes sense that animals in quarantine would not be handled by volunteers. My fear stemmed from the idea of just picking up the ringworm spores withought actually having this direct contact.
If that is not likely, or even possible,then I dont think I have anything to worry about.
A couple of "horror stories" of very stubborn ringworm fungus that I'm aware of made it appear a dreaded curse, plus the fact that this can be transferred to people was worrisome.

It follows that if it "were" a huge problem in shelters and vet clinics, there would be more stringent precautions in place to protect not just the animals but the staff and volunteers.

Thanks for your help!
Thank You Shamrock for going the extra mile. It's not an easy job all the time, you will meet with some heartbreak...but the rewards far out weigh the bad circumstances that a shelter has to deal with. A dog or cat that lives for the most part in a cage will welcome a snuggle or hug like no other pet you have ever seen, you can see it in their eyes. A scratch behind the ears, a playful romp, a good brushing...you'll see. Soak in as much as you can. Please keep us posted...
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:12 PM

Ringworm

I just read this thread and had to giggle a little... Last night I took in a German Pinscher that is COVERED in ringworm! I was up half the night reading about it and was totally freaked out, thinking I am going to have to wear a bubble around this dog! I talked to friends who've had dogs with it and my vet, it's not as bad as it seems... She is being treated with pills and cream and as far as my vet says is simple to clean my hands after touching her and to wear something that I can keep in her room and take off when I leave (I have other dogs so she's in my office). Of course keeping things clean etc but not as crazy as some of those sites say. Also this is a really short haired dog so shedding is minimal. My other dogs can walk by and say hello but no body contact. I don't have carpet either, thank goodness.

Working in a shelter I did bring home Boredetella but only one of my dogs got it and it's not a huge deal. Best thing when volunteering is to wash your hands and arms, disinfect the bottom of your shoes and IF you were in contact with animals that have something, keep a change of clothes in your car, just in case. Rarely do you bring anything home but I don't know what shelter you are going to and they are all different.

Volunteering at a shelter is great for you and the animals, I sure miss it but then again my house feels like a shelter most of the time! LOL