Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:29 PM

Unhappy Poor kitty in third surgery right now since spay 2 weeks ago

Hi guys. I'm new here and found this site browsing for support/answers to my dilemma. Our baby girl Mia is an 11 month old Maine Coon and had her spay surgery and hernia repair two weeks ago.

Ten days in, she developed a reaction to the sutures and had to had another surgery to take out the knots and clean up a beginning infection. This time she was given removable sutures and was sent home with antibiotics.

This was Wednesday. By last night, Friday, she had a fever and an infected spay incision again, so we brought her into the vet this morning, and they promptly kept her for surgery to clean out the area, put in drains, and basically treat the area as an open wound to heal on its own.

I've been worried sick all last night and today. Have not had word yet on how Mia is doing or if she's even out of surgery.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this before? It's been years since I've had a female kitty, and never had issues with them before.
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Is your cat at a 24 hours veterinarian hospital if yes you should call or go there to see how your cat is going. I am sorry to hear your poor kitty is having a hard recovering.
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:16 PM

She made it through surgery

The vet called me after he was done and explained everything he did. Open infected wound, debride, antibiotic injection, culture sent to lab to check for best antibiotic to fight off and prevent new infection, drains inserted, only one suture, the rest left open to heal and prevent new or old bacteria from getting trapped again and cause another infection.

I wanted to take her home tonight, but the vet said he wants to keep her at least over the weekend, because he believes that their facilities are better equipped for dealing with the immediate care of an open wound healing process. Sterile, small enclosure, trained staff to clean out the wound three times a day.

As sad as I was to not have my Mia home, I agreed with him. We'll visit her tomorrow morning. Of course I had to read up on open wound healing online so I would be prepared. Not a new concept, but goodness, I need to stay away from the horror stories or I may have a heart attack.
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

omd, how terrible for you all! Definitely stay away from the internet now--cuz all you'll see are the horror stories!

How well had her spay incision healed before the problem occurred? Did the healing go well up till that point? If so, the infection won't be so very deep and with luck, she'll heal up quickly. I know how stressful it is, though--I definitely tend to be anxious all through a recovery. Sending lots of and crossing all our paws and fingers that things go smoothly from here on out!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:11 PM

That's the weird part

The initial spay incision and the hernia repair incision supposedly were not infected, but there was an allergic reaction to the dissolvable sutures used that started 12 days after the spay. The hernia repair suture was actually worse and oozed a clear liquid, but both sites had huge lumps at the suture knot points.

The second surgery on Wednesday was done to remove those suture knots in both incisions.

The infection that required the third surgery was in the spay incision this time and the hernia repair incision is (as of this moment anyway) doing well.

The vet today told me that the abdominal wall incision was uncompromised and healing, so I guess the depth of the current wound is no more than to the subcutaneous layer. Bad enough, though. I'm having a difficult time picturing how this is going to look and work over the next month or so.

Thank you guys for replying, I appreciate it!
Old March 16th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivekittymom View Post
The vet called me after he was done and explained everything he did. Open infected wound, debride, antibiotic injection, culture sent to lab to check for best antibiotic to fight off and prevent new infection, drains inserted, only one suture, the rest left open to heal and prevent new or old bacteria from getting trapped again and cause another infection.

I wanted to take her home tonight, but the vet said he wants to keep her at least over the weekend, because he believes that their facilities are better equipped for dealing with the immediate care of an open wound healing process. Sterile, small enclosure, trained staff to clean out the wound three times a day.

As sad as I was to not have my Mia home, I agreed with him. We'll visit her tomorrow morning. Of course I had to read up on open wound healing online so I would be prepared. Not a new concept, but goodness, I need to stay away from the horror stories or I may have a heart attack.
That is great news she made it through surgery ! It sounds like you have a very good vet and I agree it was best to have your kitty stay there for the weekend. I hope your kitty will be able to go back home soon and in your arms.
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:29 PM

Red face Baby Girl came home today

I was a wreck the entire weekend until my husband went out and bought me a stuffed animal that projects a unicorn and stars on the ceiling at night, so I could sleep. (yea, I know. I'm a wicked baby). Finally got our green light this morning. "Yes, you can pick Mia up later today. She is doing well, talking to everyone in the hospital, wanting attention, not bothering her drains, hungry, and missing home".

I went all out cleaning the guest room, moving out all furniture except the bed, putting soft cushions and an extra mattress on the floor, you name it. The vet actually laughed and said that all that would not have been necessary. A separate room to confine her would have sufficed. Oh well. I was not going to go through this ordeal again if I could prevent a re-infection, or what have you. (Vet also said that with the drains being cleaned twice a day, that shouldn't be an issue).

So her wound looks much better than I had feared. They basically only removed two of three sutures, and placed two penrose drains; one on each end. Not much raw flesh and open gaping wound at all. Of course, the nice little girl they got to know at the vet's, who left her drains alone and was calm, turned into Mrs Hyde at home!

The spare room isn't very large, but she managed to turn in upside down in the two hours she has been home. Her (sterilised. Yea, I know) toys are all over the place, her water bowl splashed empty, two cans of cat food devoured....Oh, and did I mention the first thing she did was yank on the drain to get it out??

I thought I was going to have a stroke right there when that rubber band stretched. I could already envision her entire belly tearing open. So I put the inflatable e-collar on her. Good thing we bought one, or so I thought. Too bad Mia didn't agree. She figured out really fast how to pull on the velcro strap and just take the damn thing off.

So I spent an hour sewing an e-collar out of a hand towel. That she can handle, because she can't pull it off. It's too soft to drag it along an object to yank it over her head, like the regular plastic e-collar, nor does it have a velcro strap to pull open. Ha! So now she's resigned herself to her fate and decided to take a nap.

Hubby and I are spending the night with her, so she won't be lonely. Of course the other pets are furious that they can't even get near the room. (I cordoned off the hallway like a maximum security prison) and all I hear is yowling and howling from down the stairs. They'll manage to survive a day or two without my continuous presence.

Now I really hope that this was the end of the vet visits and surgeries for what was supposed to be a simple spay. Incidentally, the doctor did not charge us one penny for this last round. Even the meds were free. Makes me wonder if they believe that the infection was something that was caused on their end. No matter, as long as my girl is fine, I won't complain.
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:08 AM

aw poor baby! I can only imagine how you must have been feeling, so good that she is home now and can recover with all of mommy's love

hope is good and speedy recovery

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

what a lucky kitty to have you guys!! Pretty awesome vet too!!
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, my word, what a lovable little terror she is! I know exactly how you feel, too--I stress horribly during surgery recovery--can't let them out of my sight--constantly checking the cones, the incision, the stitches, whether or not they're breathing...and when they get active, give me a tranquilizer, PLEASE!!!! Good that she's home, though, and I'm sure she (and you) will get through this fine! This, too, shall pass!!

And that was pretty awesome of your vet!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I was a wreck the entire weekend until my husband went out and bought me a stuffed animal that projects a unicorn and stars on the ceiling at night, so I could sleep. (yea, I know. I'm a wicked baby). Finally got our green light this morning. "Yes, you can pick Mia up later today. She is doing well, talking to everyone in the hospital, wanting attention, not bothering her drains, hungry, and missing home".

I went all out cleaning the guest room, moving out all furniture except the bed, putting soft cushions and an extra mattress on the floor, you name it. The vet actually laughed and said that all that would not have been necessary. A separate room to confine her would have sufficed. Oh well. I was not going to go through this ordeal again if I could prevent a re-infection, or what have you. (Vet also said that with the drains being cleaned twice a day, that shouldn't be an issue).

So her wound looks much better than I had feared. They basically only removed two of three sutures, and placed two penrose drains; one on each end. Not much raw flesh and open gaping wound at all. Of course, the nice little girl they got to know at the vet's, who left her drains alone and was calm, turned into Mrs Hyde at home!

The spare room isn't very large, but she managed to turn in upside down in the two hours she has been home. Her (sterilised. Yea, I know) toys are all over the place, her water bowl splashed empty, two cans of cat food devoured....Oh, and did I mention the first thing she did was yank on the drain to get it out??

I thought I was going to have a stroke right there when that rubber band stretched. I could already envision her entire belly tearing open. So I put the inflatable e-collar on her. Good thing we bought one, or so I thought. Too bad Mia didn't agree. She figured out really fast how to pull on the velcro strap and just take the damn thing off.

So I spent an hour sewing an e-collar out of a hand towel. That she can handle, because she can't pull it off. It's too soft to drag it along an object to yank it over her head, like the regular plastic e-collar, nor does it have a velcro strap to pull open. Ha! So now she's resigned herself to her fate and decided to take a nap.

Hubby and I are spending the night with her, so she won't be lonely. Of course the other pets are furious that they can't even get near the room. (I cordoned off the hallway like a maximum security prison) and all I hear is yowling and howling from down the stairs. They'll manage to survive a day or two without my continuous presence.

Now I really hope that this was the end of the vet visits and surgeries for what was supposed to be a simple spay. Incidentally, the doctor did not charge us one penny for this last round. Even the meds were free. Makes me wonder if they believe that the infection was something that was caused on their end. No matter, as long as my girl is fine, I won't complain.
I think it would nice if your send your vet a thank you note . I never heard of a vet doing that and there was no way for the vet to know your cat would have any reactions the surgery stitches. I hope your kitty will have quick recovery
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:03 PM

I definitely will send the whole gang a thank you note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I think it would nice if your send your vet a thank you note . I never heard of a vet doing that and there was no way for the vet to know your cat would have any reactions the surgery stitches. I hope your kitty will have quick recovery
Of course, knowing our Mia, things weren't going to go without a hitch. At one point last night, despite the collar, she managed to pull one drain out completely, and tighten the second one so much, that she was actually hurting. So I called the poor vet on emergency duty at 6 am, asking what to do now!

She sounded a bit exasperated (had her baby in her arms from the sound of it) but was very helpful. Told me to go ahead and take the second drain out, seeing how it was now hurting Mia instead of helping, and to stop by when the office opened at 8 and they'd check her over.

It took me quite a while to cut off the second drain. She had that sucker tied around her skin so tightly, that it actually tore into both drain holes a bit.

So finally, when the vet office opened, we headed over there - in a snowstorm, of course - and the senior doctor was on duty. Needless to say, Mia is now infamous over there. They've never met a cat quite like her before. They swore up and down that she didn't touch her drains at all when she was with them. Well, like I said - Mrs. Hyde.

The good doctor simply flushed betadine through the holes, squeezed a little, and told us to do the same thing for a couple of days, until the wounds heal from the inside out. Warm compresses, etc, finish the clamavox, and then come back for the actual suture removal.

I have a feeling we'll probably be there again before that....
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

oh Mia!! Nothing like giving your Mom a few more grey hairs!! Keeping fingers crossed that you have a few peaceful days with her!!
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:19 PM

Name:  Miabad2.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  108.1 KB

That's Mia, aka Mrs. Hyde.
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

oh she's gorgeous, is she a Maine Coon?
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:41 PM

Yes, and actually bred in Maine. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
oh she's gorgeous, is she a Maine Coon?
I was not going to get a purebred cat or dog anymore (too many unwanted animals in shelters), but I fell in love with her when I saw her at the breeder's house while visiting relatives up in Maine. Hubby was not too pleased, but he loves her now, naturally.
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

They are gorgeous cats!! I have Nino, rescued, he's a silver tabby Maine Coon. I fell in love when I saw his picture on here. Went through a few kind of rough weeks with him, he wasn't too keen on other cats but he's fine now.
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Attachment 79221

That's Mia, aka Mrs. Hyde.
She is gorgeous! I loves Maine coon cats. She has a very sweet face.
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:19 AM

She is so pretty... she looks like a little angel just sitting there...

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Wow what a beauty

What an ordeal and so glad everything worked out

A card to the vet's office is a wonderful gesture.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 20th, 2013, 02:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, she's gorgeous!!!

And I do hope she leaves her owies alone now!! Glad you could get the drains out on your own--I think I would have passed out if I'd had to mess with Cass's when she had a tumor removed a few years back. Luckily for us, though, her drain was between her shoulders and she couldn't reach it...

Tags
infection, spay complication, suture reaction