Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Low Cost Spaying?

I adopted my cat at the Rosedale Animal Hospital. Asked about the price to have my female cat spayed and they said $300 plus $60 bloodwork, plus taxes!

So this is going to cost me a pretty penny to say the least. I have tried contacting Toronto Animal Services that charge around $90 to have a cat spayed; but unfortunately they only do bookings on Wednesdays and open at 8:30am ET ... I called at 8:35am, was on hold for 5 minutes and by 8:40am when an operator finally answered, she told me that they were booked for April 4th and no further bookings could be made until next Wednesday!

I've tried contacting them before as well and got the same response (a couple of weeks ago)

This is getting too much and they're evidently extremely busy so looks like I won't be able to get my cat spayed by them in a reasonable time. My cat is going through her heat cycle right now and it really pains me to see her like this.

I neglected to have her spayed before because she went through her first cycle at 8 months and never had another one until after the new year; odd really. Now after 3 weeks or so, she's in heat again.

Anyway, does anyone know a good, reputable vet that will charge at least way less than $400 to have a cat spayed? I understand that it will be impossible to find other clinic that charges $90 but $400 is also steep, so maybe a price range of over $100 and below $200, or $250?

Does anyone know of a vet that is reasonable in prices in the downtown Toronto area? I don't drive so I can't really go to any place outside the GTA but has anyone had their cats spayed recently for an economical price (while getting some good results post-surgery)?

I can't really afford $400.

Your info and help is very much appreciated. I'm running out of options here.

Thanks!

P.S.: I have insurance for this cat from petinsurance.ca but they do not cover spayings but is there someone out there that may charge less if I had insurance?

UPDATE: Downtown Animal Hospital charges $455 plus taxes ... OUCH!

Last edited by Quiksilver; February 15th, 2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

WoW,that is expensive
It would probably be worth your while,to call a whole bunch of vets in the phone-book and maybe take the sub-way or a cab to get to outside of TO.
I'm in Oakville and my vet is definitely not cheap.
But there are tons of vets out there,call around,unless someone here knows of one.Good Luck!!
It surprises me the animal-hospital where you got her from,would not give you a discount,after all you adopted the cat from there.
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Well the Annex Animal Hospital quoted me at around $250 including any examinations and taxes, so not too bad. I guess this is the best deal I am bound to find.

Now I am hoping if anyone can give me some "reviews" of this Animal Hospital. I used to be a dog person and hated cats, but this little girl has given me a new found respect for felines all around I'd hate to take her to a sub-par place and, god forbid, something horrible happens.
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:31 PM

Hey Quick can't you make another appointment with them? After all its a $300 difference in price. I'm not sure if cats are like dogs, you can't get them spayed when in heat. Good luck

www.bluewhippet.net
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downloader
Hey Quick can't you make another appointment with them? After all its a $300 difference in price. I'm not sure if cats are like dogs, you can't get them spayed when in heat. Good luck

www.bluewhippet.net
No, exactly. I am not going to put her under the knife now that she's in heat. I leave on a trip next week (from Tuesday to Friday) so hopefully she'll be heat-free by then (her cycle started last Sunday, so hopefully she'll over this by this Sunday or so)

So the week after that (end of February) I will make an appointment with the Annex Animal Hospital so hopefully everything goes smoothly with her operation.

Question here though, are cats really in pain when they're in heat? especially if you try to pet them and they scream louder? Should I not handle my cat too much during this period?
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:05 AM

I went through this recently and ended up calling the Montreal SPCA to see if they had a low cost spay/neuter program. They didn't but were able to give me a few phone numbers of people who did for about $40. The only problem was about a 2-3 week waiting time, but if you have to wait until she's out of heat anyways then this might be ok for you (and there might be less of a wait in Toronto anyways).

As for your question about the heat I'm not sure, I have also noticed cats in heat get more excited when you pet them. I have also noticed with some cats it helps to play with them to get their mind off it. Have you tried this? Or some extra yummy treats or catnip or something? I don't know if they are really in pain in the usual sense of the word, I kind of doubt it, I'm guessing it's more similar to a really strong hunger pain but who knows! Good luck.
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla
I went through this recently and ended up calling the Montreal SPCA to see if they had a low cost spay/neuter program. They didn't but were able to give me a few phone numbers of people who did for about $40. The only problem was about a 2-3 week waiting time, but if you have to wait until she's out of heat anyways then this might be ok for you (and there might be less of a wait in Toronto anyways).

As for your question about the heat I'm not sure, I have also noticed cats in heat get more excited when you pet them. I have also noticed with some cats it helps to play with them to get their mind off it. Have you tried this? Or some extra yummy treats or catnip or something? I don't know if they are really in pain in the usual sense of the word, I kind of doubt it, I'm guessing it's more similar to a really strong hunger pain but who knows! Good luck.
Jesus!

I've called almost everyone in that Pet-Business Directory (Toronto) in this site and no one has given me a price of below $350 plus GST (When is Harper going to introduce that 2% reduction LOL)

In everyone's experience, is blood-work and all those examinations really necessary? or needed at all? I mean last time I took my cat to the vet was less than 6 months ago and she was healthier than me even haha.

Without those examinations the cost would be much lower but I can't opt-out of those tests either

Anyone out there that knows a low cost spaying clinic? there must be one that charges at least less than $200.

SPCA is booked until late april or early may I believe so that doesn't seem like an option since I'd like to get her fixed asap so she doesn't feel 'uncomfortable' again.
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Just to clarify $40 was JUST the spay/neuter. Blood work, vaccines etc would be extra.
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I find $300 excessive - I paid $100 and that included EVEYTHING, meds and all - tho not the follow up appt for her stictches but the vet said I could do that myself and she just came to look - so in total, it was $100. Had I had her take out the stitches, it would have been about $130. I should add that YY had recently had bloodwork for her regular vet check - since her spay was not that long from when she came home at 12 weeks old. So the bloodwork - about $35 - was done a couple months previous and it did not seem nec to do it again. And she sailed thru the procedure. (Mind you my computer monitor, where she wanted warmth post spay - as opposed to laying next to me - and she urinated in it being still disoriented did not fare as well - still works but I would not have cared if it did not, wanted a new flat one anyway, lol)

I hope you find a cheaper - but good - vet!

(I edited heat to warmth since it does not seem right to say she wanted heat post a spay surgery, :-)

Last edited by CyberKitten; February 17th, 2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:10 PM

Yeah so far the cheapest I have found is $250 at the Annex Animal Hospital. She's scheduled for surgery now for the 28th. Here's hoping everything goes well.

Two questions though:

1. How did you deal with leaving your cat behind and worse, for a whole day while she probably stared at you or something.

2. Myth or fact? Do cats change their personality after getting spayed/nuttered? I love my cat the way she is now and it would be terrible if her persona changed at all.
Old February 20th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I was fortunate, I was able to "assist" in the spay surgery - as in hand over instruments and take some vital signs, lol (I am a human doc, NOT an animal one) I took her home once it was determined her vitals were normal and she was fine - I am not of the belief that cats need to stay overnight post spay anyway. Unless your cat has a significant health issue already identified, most cats do very well with spay surgery, I gave YY her penicilllin for the 3 days, a protective measure that is the norm here - and recommened by any good vet. (My vet holds a prov post in the assn).

As for personality chamges, that's ridiculous!! Not sure where you heard that but I have seen many many many cats spayed and NOT one ever displayed any personality changes. The only change would be if there was malpratice and say a vet adminsitered too much medication or complications that led to some neurological issues but the chances of that are very remote.

I would not worry. Your kitty will be fine! (Tho I admittedly worried the nite before too, lol)
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM

At those prices, you can see why many people opt not to do the surgery.
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking the same,often people(wrongly)think a cat is a cheap pet to have.
I was not aware spaying cost as much,the last cat I had neutered was Vinnie and I paid $175 incl bloodwork,but I suppose spaying is more complicated.
However,now if you get a cat from a rescue or HS,already spayed $150-200 for a cat does not seem to be a lot.
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:26 PM

That's a good point there. What disappoints me is that I picked up this kitten from one of the Animal Hospitals (Rosedale) and they are among the more expensive clinics.

Someone brought up a good point of shelters charging less if you adopted a kitten from them. I wish that were true. What kills me is that they have her complete profile and records and know her well (with checkups) that at the very least, they should waive the bloodwork and other examinations either altogether or fees-wise.

At $250 though is not a lot to pay to give my 'rippy' a little peace of mind. The good thing is that she's over the cycle now and is now back to scratching my feet in the middle of the night, or crawling AND SITTING on the keyboard of my laptop! so that I only hear beeps as the keys are getting all jammed lol
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM

If you are close to the U.S. border it would be worth your while to check a vet there. I have a Vet in Ogdensburg, NY for our pets and also a Vet down the street from us for emergencies etc. as it is a 45 minute drive to the U.S. for us. I had my male cat neutered, all shots, anal glands drained, and it cost me 86.00 U.S. Even with the exchage rate it was worth it.
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM

low cost spay in Montreal

Hi everyone (Kayla especially) I was wondering if you could give me those phone numbers to people who spayed for only $40. I am in need of some type of low cost spay for my 6 month old cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla View Post

Old January 10th, 2007, 06:06 PM

You can always try Vanier College or contact the bond foundation: http://www.bondspayneuter.com/spaycanada.html
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Exclamation

Due to having spayed/neutered (and vaccinated etc.) a 5-cat feral family over the past 6 mos., I am soooo somehow moving towards some sort of Low Cost S/N activism! It is just terribly wrong to have s/n costs prohibitively high, to the point that many people can't/won't bother. My blood pressure spikes just thinking about this issue!

When I phoned around in my rural area of Norfolk County SW of Hamilton, I was quoted anywhere from $105 to $185 for a under 6 mo. female kitten spay...and I thought that wasn't great, after paying about $80 at a Winnipeg low-cost clinic. (These prices do not include 'extra' bloodwork, which I did in 2of the 5 cats, due to some health issues.)

There ARE areas of Europe and N. America where successful low-cost s/n clinics exist , and I'm going to do my best to find out how they do it, and why so many places don't. The Humane Society et al. have been advocating/educating re: the TOTAL BENEFITS of s/n for years, but people still 'litter' all over the place!!

Hasn't almost everyone seen the figures illustrating the absolutely staggering number of cats that can be produced by ONE breeding pair in about 10 years??...even allowing for average mortality etc., that first pair breeding results in THOUSANDS of cats in a decade. (Rabbits are known for their reproductive speed, but I don't think they're much worse than cats!!)

Sooooo many cute little kittens born....soooo many dying so soon; more s/n operations = far fewer homeless cats. (Guess I'm for the most part preaching to the choir, but talk it up!) Gotta calm down , and get totally rational to be effective, so I'm off...

p.s. do spread the PLEASE DON'T LITTER message .

Last edited by kashtin's kin; January 11th, 2007 at 02:00 AM.
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:30 AM

I suggest contacting the Humane Society or some rescue groups in your area and ask them for suggestions. I'm up near Sudbury and I'm working with a rescue to help spay/neuter feral and stray cats in the area. I believe the vet that this rescue uses charges $100 for a spay (versus about $300 w/ my usual vet) and I'm pretty sure that's including vaccinations. You should even be able to find something cheaper than that.

And I bet she'll be fine. Most spays go well without any complications. I've had a few cats done as well as dogs and they have all been fine. As for heat cycles, I really don't think this is hurting your cat. I've heard of some animals getting some cramping similar to what we get, but I doubt that most animals experience this. I believe the "yowling" is more of a mating call than a cry of pain. She's just looking for a tomcat
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Vanier College in Montreal is where I had Ted done. The neuter was $40 and the vaccinations were $30. I think they charge $70 to spay a female. Are there any veterinary colleges near you? If so, I would inquire as to whether they do a spay/neuter clinic. Most do since that's how students get experience. $400 to spay a cat is robbery in my opinion, especially since you adopted her from there. My local vet charges around $100 to adopt a kitten and the spay/neuter, shots, worming, and blood work are already done when you get the cat.

Vanier Phone number in Montreal - added by Marko - 450-458-0333
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:51 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I don't want to sound negative but please make sure proper measures are taking prior to S/N more importantly get blood work done. Of course searching for lower prices we all must do just be careful and chose a clean and reputable vet. I just lost a dog because of this and wanted to add my Most spays go well unfortunately not all. Good luck
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

If your willing to drive to Simcoe, Ontario the Queensway Animal Hospital only charges around $70.00 for a male. I was quoted $154.50 to neuter and declaw together!

Cindy

Here is the address and phone number to call...Hope this helps

415 Queensway West,
Simcoe, ON N3Y 2N4
Tel. : 519-428-2630
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston,please,don't mention declawing...it's an evil word around here
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

So sorry but not sure why?

Cindy
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Low Cost Spaying

I may make some enemies here, but I have to say that, unless a cat was really unhealthy to begin with (and then probably a spay at that time wouldn't be advisable anyway), I have never done any bloodwork prior to a spay or neuter. In my defense, I have to say that all of the 'pets' that I have done have been abandoned or strays (I've actually never had a pet from a pet store or breeder, but have had over 60 cats and 20 dogs in the past 10 years or so, re-homing some and keeping the ones no one wanted). What kind of bloodwork do they do for a spay, or what are they looking for? My vet always told me it was the anesthesia that could be harmful, if anything. Usually I found that animal sanctuaries (as opposed to shelters that destroy animals in a certain period of time) had good info for low cost s/n.
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm always asked if I want pre-op bloodwork and I usually say no, unless the vet finds something suspicious during the initial examination; and I have to sign a paper stating my refusal, probably so that if anything goes wrong during the op because of an underlying condition, I can't hold them responsible. It does not include testing for viruses, that would be an additional $50 each. My vet provides basic vaccs and neutering (male) for $125, which is cheap compared to what I'm reading here. This includes the initial exam, which is basically just a once over (teeth, eyes, ears and a feel-up).
I may have posted this before, but when some vets in BC (all, or almost all, of East Indian origin) got together and decided to offer cheap spay/neutering to their clients, they were hounded by their professional association and other vets, who ended up challenging their mastery of English! I have no idea if they went ahead, but I think these professional associations can be real bullies, and are basically untouchable (see Canadian College of Physicians and Surgeons, a secret society if there ever was one).
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Cindy,don't be sorry,not everyone knows what a cruel procedure declawing is and the vet is certainly not going to tell you,at least not most vets.
It compares to cutting off the first joint on your fingers
We've had lenghty discussions about declawing,even a very descriptive piece,explainng what is really done to the cat.
I am not PC-savvy enough to find it in the Forum,but I am sure someone else is.
In my lifetime,I've had maybe 15 cats,would never even dream of declawing,just the word sends shivers down my spine.
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger,I just checked Vinnies neuter-bill from 2003,it was $100+$25 recheck,it was just before my old vet left for Scotland.
I am sure by now with the vets(3) that took over it's at least $250.
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chico 2

I asked my vet years ago because I really do not have a lot of information about this and they advised that they no longer perform that type of a declaw??? That it was actually the removal of the nail and some form of a glue / suture // to help with healing the skin...I could not stand the thought of it being an amputation....

Cindy
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:47 PM

I feel so sorry for all of you who can't find low-cost clinics. Here in Georgia, Petco has a vet that comes into the store and sets up a low-cost clinic right there in the middle of one of the aisles! All you have to do is get there early and get in line. Shots and other things cost 50% less than what you'd pay at a vet's office. While we were taking Minnie (stray kitty) there for shots, we were given a flyer for the Atlanta Animal Alliance and they have something called project catsnip. You can read about them on www.projectcatsnip.com. They are a non-profit, low-cost mobile clinic. I just went on the website and made a reservation for Minnie and her spay will only be $60.00. Everything else including blood work and pain meds are free. They even include a free rabies shot. Dogs are $40.00 to get fixed. Maybe they travel to Canada? Check it out. I wish you all luck in finding affordable vet care. And to the moderators, forgive me if I wasn't allowed to post this information, just trying to help.
~M~

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999