Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Should your pet be a Vegetarian?

Here is a really good article about the issue of making your dog or cat vegetarian.

I like that it's short and to the point.

Should your pet be a Vegetarian?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Interesting article, but I think people are too concerned with "making" their pets into things, "making" them fashion accessories, "making" them little people in fur, and now "making" them vegetarians. Honestly if anyone has to take a perfectly normal and natural animal and make it into something that suits their personal whim then maybe they should consider it to not be the correct species of animal for them.
We have to respect that animals are not humans, as much as some people want to make them out to be. As the article stated there is still a lack of scientific knowledge on the metabolism of domestic pets especially cats, so I think it is a very precarious situation to place them in by forcing them onto a food that ignores their pre-set biology. People should not have to buy a food that is designed to trick an animal into eating it by convincing them it is something its not, because in the future the only thing that will suffer is the animals overall health and well being from being unable to utilize the nutrition within the food.
If people want vegetarian pets they should get a ungulate or a rodent. That's my 2 cents.
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

We have to make food decisions for our pets based on their dietary needs. Nature did not intend them to be vegetarians.

Vegetarians stop eating meat for their own reasons. Be they ethical or environmental. It's a concious choice, and our bodies are made in such a way that done correctly, we will not suffer health wise.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old September 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

A-G,a friend of ours,who lives in Berlin,Germany,made her poor cat a vegetarian,because she was.
Well,he just died at the young age of 9,of multiple healthproblems,he was a beautiful orange kitty:sad:
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
A-G,a friend of ours,who lives in Berlin,Germany,made her poor cat a vegetarian,because she was.
Well,he just died at the young age of 9,of multiple healthproblems,he was a beautiful orange kitty:sad:
Chico, that is so sad! It's terrible that people try to force their beliefs, on to their pets like that. I don't like the thought of killing an animal for food, but I know my cats can't live unless that happens. It says in that article that dogs can be adapted to to a vegetarian lifestyle, I also would not force that on them. They are built differently than us, and their dietary needs are different and we can't be blind to that because we are vegetarians.

Old September 26th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Great article, ag, but I do disagree with dogs being able to be vegetarians. They may be able to survive, but I don't think they would thrive. I am glad they pointed out the fact that cats are carnivores. I wonder if they recommend a raw diet for cats so they can get their vitamins in their natural form.

As for humans, well I have my personal opinion about that too. If you can't survive without eating processed food or vitamin pills, including iron, you are not eating a proper diet.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Great article, ag, but I do disagree with dogs being able to be vegetarians. They may be able to survive, but I don't think they would thrive. I am glad they pointed out the fact that cats are carnivores. I wonder if they recommend a raw diet for cats so they can get their vitamins in their natural form.

As for humans, well I have my personal opinion about that too. If you can't survive without eating processed food or vitamin pills, including iron, you are not eating a proper diet.
I agree, I would not assume to make a dog live on a vegetarian diet either. I would never force that on a dog I had, even if they could survive on it. I don't see anything wrong though with giving them a little treat now and then of a veggie or fruit. Heck, Maks is a notorious lettuce thief!