Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 12th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

Hunter will eat (almost) anything and everything

Hi,

Lately I've been a bit stressed with things and Hunter - who is now 8.5 months old - is, I guess, going through the "rebelious teenager" stage and has been a pretty bad boy (and a little more aggressive too I think). There is NEVER a walk in the past week and a half that he hasn't pulled out/bitten off flowers from people's lawns and tried to eat it (with the soil and everything). Couple days ago, he also ripped a big hole in the sleeve of my jacket, and last night he jumped up at the sink and quickly lapped up some dish-washing liquid/water while I was washing the dishes. This was the last straw and it really angered me. I yelled at him and even hit him (on the butt a couple of times, but it was hard...). I realized what I had done afterwards, and felt bad for hitting him, but...ARGH!!!...how do I keep him from trying to eat everything!?!?!

He has been to obedience school and he will sit and stay even if there's a treat in front of him and he won't eat it unless I say it's ok. But if you're not paying attention to him, he can and will stealthly sneak up on you and steal your food.
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Performance Spaniels

Honsetly, I found it took time. Not in reinforcing the commands, but needign to mature enough to listen. I never tried to use leave it for anything in real life.. since mine wasn't even listening to the basics very often. And then in the past couple of months a lot of things started to change.. I even used leave it with an agressive dog and she actually ran away from it.

I found a lot of the things I've had problems with I had to wait out for some more maturity, including even sort of getting loose leash walking.

Not that it helps you.. just know you aren't alone in frustration.
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Joey is six years old and he eats anything and everything too - if there is a plate of food at the table and your not sitting down - all it takes is a split second for him to come and sneak it. Also on our walks he likes to eat any thing he sees on the ground, apple cores - bread anything, if I am not quick enough to get him away I usually end up prying stuff out of his mouth. The latest is when I caught him in the garden eating the lettuce. Didnt think it would hurt him too much but he must have had quite a bit.

Later that day Joey puked in the house - and not just a little bit - like a huge pile - he must have ate quite a bit of lettuce - wierd thing is I started to clean it up and hes standing over his puke and growling - like this is my puke I own it ...go get your own puke.

Lately when we eat I have made Joey do a stay in the corner - until we are finished - when we are done I will call him over and give him a treat for being a good boy - I wont feed Joey at the table though ever.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

ok here it is our little rosie is a lawnmower, loves dadolines im out with her ever sec. as she was just dewormed, the little monkey eats everthing what should i do the little fart even tries to eat rocks you swear i did not feed her
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
like this is my puke I own it ...go get your own puke.
LOL !!

Joey sounds like a character ! Cooper eats almost anything as well. I have to be very careful about what he can reach as I'm afraid he will choke. He once chewed off a huge hunk of wicker from a basket in the family room that I keep afghans in. I had to pull that out of his mouth.

His favorite thing to get though is a paper towel out of the garbage. I keep the door latched so he can't get to it, but if you open it to throw something away he darts in there and tries to grab them. Most paper he shreds (tissue paper, napkins, paper bags) but paper towels he chews on and swallows and then he has a hard time pooping. One day my husband said he was pulling them out like a wet wipes dispenser.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:51 PM

My Charley did pretty much the same as Hunter at that age. He went through the worst brat stage. What I found worked best was stepping up the exercise (diubled it)and not letting him get me upset. What ever he did, I made like I didn't care, example: if he took clothes from the laundry basket to chew on, I'd take it out of him mouth, grab his leash and bring him back to the living room without saying a word. Its almost like they are trying to get a rise out of you and as soon as you get upset (and they can tell when you get upset) they've won.
The reason I had stepped up the exercise is because tired puppies don't do as much bad stuff to get attention
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

My Eskimo is now 2 years and 1 month old - and he is a superior "Hoover". Certainly the breed loves paper, but my guy misses nothing on the street and it is a constant struggle - important of course to prevent being poisoned but also to prevent a blockage. He has been to obedience school and knows to drop things when told, but some things he just won't release - and even rocks fall into that category. He is also on a diet - had to lose 4 lbs. 6 oz. but who is counting the ounces? Me. 2 lbs. 6 oz. to go. The diet has made his street cleaning even worse as he feels he must fend for himself. He also likes to "help" with chewing household objects, but is getting better in that regard. For a 24.6 lb. dog he has very strong teeth. I fully understand your frustration and I sympathize - but I also expect you will have another year or so to go through. Eskies mature late - although often retain many of their puppy qualities throughout their lives - just would prefer not the chewing. My guy is about to get some additional lessons with a trainer who will come to the house to deal with his specific issues - NON-TREAT based for sure. Actually this woman has trained several of his friends at his weekly socialization so he has "references". Hope things get better for you soon. I know it is tough to keep your cool. Eskies do not respond well to a raised voice or to physical punishment - very sensitive - "ouch" only affects them. But he is always so sorry.
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterXHunter
Lately I've been a bit stressed with things and Hunter - who is now 8.5 months old - is, I guess, going through the "rebelious teenager" stage and has been a pretty bad boy (and a little more aggressive too I think)....This was the last straw and it really angered me. I yelled at him and even hit him (on the butt a couple of times, but it was hard...). I realized what I had done afterwards, and felt bad for hitting him, but...ARGH!!!...how do I keep him from trying to eat everything!?!?!
Sounds like you might need a little "time out" too HunterXHunter.
Seriously. If you are sooo stressed out that you are hitting your puppy - HARD - and three times at that, maybe it's time for a break. We've all been there - all puppies eat everything they can get in their wicked little mouths and can be right stubborn little boogers when they have a mind to be - but, it's just stuff.

You are stressed. Too stressed to simply step back from the sink and walk away. Maybe the long weekend would be a good time to call in a favour, leave the little rotter with a friend/family/dogsitter and take some "me time". That's another place we've all been and keep going back to (or dream about anyway) !!! You have to - no one in their right mind can be an effective and loving Mum or Dad to a furkid permanently forever in 3 year-old-mode on a 24-7-365 basis.

Long live Me-Time !
Old May 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM

My Indy is a hoover too...although she seems to be developping a "taste" for only certain things. Some things are "beneath" her now. However, she'll never pass up the opportunity to gobble up a good kleenex (doesn't matter who it belonged to!), a stick, a rock or something plastic. We have put garbages where she can no longer get to them and I just try to watch her even more carefully when we walk. I started using a choke collar when walking her and it's proved to be helpful. She will spit some things out now. but...it does take time. And you do sound stressed...and all i can say is, "been there! Done that!". I have found that giving yourself a time out sometimes helps too! All I can say is...you aren't alone! But it will get better. Indy is 11 months and has calmed down somewhat. So...hang in there!
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:58 PM

HunterxHunter, I just wanted to say you're not the only one ... my experience with Matty's been similar, if not worse.

Matty is a 1 yr old lab and he also was somewhat obedient and even though he wasn't a saint I did enjoy training and guiding him when he was a puppy ... until when he hit the rebellious stage at ~ 8 months old.

Since then he'd eat anything and everything, he'd keep pulling on the leash all the times when we walk (and none of the 'be a post', 'walk in opposite direction' or 'make him sit' methods would work) , and worse he'd jump up at us and nip the leash / our arm / our hand and challenge us a lot these days. It's so embarrasing when he acts up in the park where other children think I'm "fighting" with my dog when all I'm trying to do is to handle him and get him under control.

So trust me, I know what you're talking about.

I don't exactly have an answer / solution to your question ... in fact I'm looking for one myself. My wife almost had a nervous breakdown several months ago and was crying every other morning because of how Matty misbehaved.

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents and offer my support, and let you know what you're not alone.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

Thanks everyone.

I guess this is just something that's just gonna take some time...that's ok, it'll pave the way for parenting...
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I will report back after my 2 year old Eskie receives his "remedial" private training. First comes his "evaluation" - I am worried - well first he has to let the lady in the door. Then the commands. He has never even heard of "Place"! And these days with his diet I am the serious puller - he wants to graze the sidewalk. This lady has trained several of the dogs my pup plays with at his socialization so references are good and of course his "friends" have given him good references - as they should - he lets them play with his person like you wouldn't believe - under controlled circumstances of course. Am tempted to shout "Place" tomorrow when they all go for his tush.