Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 10th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Neuter surgery on Thursday

The day is approaching so quickly, I'm not sure I'm ready for it.
On Thursday, both my boys will be going in for their neuter surgery. Timber also has rear dew-claws that he's getting removed.
I'm so nervous for them. I know it's routine surgery, but Jasper has an undescended testicle, so he has to have a Cryptochid (sp?) neuter.

Has anyone else been through this? How did the healing go? Did they have to stay overnight?

My poor little boys. If they only knew what was coming to them
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They shouldn't have to stay overnight unless they have trouble locating Jasper's undescended testicle. The dew-claw removal is pretty routine, too, but I know that any surgery can be stressful for moms

Probably, because they'll both be feeling a bit off for a couple of days, the first few days will be a breeze. Keeping them from playing rough later in their recovery is going to be a chore, though.

Just keep telling yourself that a month from now you won't even remember having it done!

for Thursday!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM

everything will be find i'm sure! Georges had cherry eye surgery in both eyes at the same time than his heutering. They actually kept him 2 nights cuz we werent able to get him the to vet the morning of the surgery, so i drove him the evening before and they kept him the night after to keep an eye on him. He was groggy for a couple of days than everything went back to normal! We even had to kept him from getting to excited since the vet said no exercise for 10 days.

They're gonna be funny with their cones!!!!!!!!
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:43 PM

oh no, Cones!!!
I totally forgot about that! Aw, poor pups. That'll definitely be a kodak moment
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM

on one hand, I'd miss them like crazy if they had to stay overnight, and I'd be thinking and worrying about them the whole time.

on the other hand, I might actually get to sleep in past 6am
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:39 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sib.HuskyMom View Post
oh no, Cones!!!
I totally forgot about that! Aw, poor pups. That'll definitely be a kodak moment
Oh no Cones--I hear yah! My Gryphon actually had a undescended testicle. It was a little more complicated procedure however; he pulled through just fine. He ended up spending a night at the vets and at first, the stitches looked a little invasive not to mention painful. :sad:

We just kept the incision clean (not to mention the cone) and it healed up extremely well. No scaring to be seen now.

Best of luck on Thursday and keep us posted

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I am sure they both will come out fine. But as Hazel said, in a cryptorchid (sp/ here too), it is basically a neuter/spay surgery. After removing the descended testicle an incision is made to find and remove the one that hasn't. Most times it is obvious and found quickly. The search usually starts at the kidney area and then on down. Sometimes they are embedded in other tissue wall such as muscle. The older the dog, the harder to find because the testicle will shrink over time.
Depending on the surgery he may have to spend the night. Otherwise he should be good to go.
I am not going to wish you good luck (even though I am) but a happy healing time, it will be over soon.
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Live well, laugh often

Sending lots of good vibes for the boys .
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:40 AM

for Thursday both the boys will do great & speedy healing too.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Senior Contributor

My vet always keeps them in overnight for spay/neuter surgeries, but mine have all come through it fabulously. I've never had to deal with a cryptorchid neuter but with all my boys they acted like it never even happened. Especially most recently with Dru (end of January). No licking, no grogginess, he came home all raring to play and never even looked at that area. You'd never know he just had surgery, not one indication that anything had happened to him, unless I rolled him over to check on the incision and then I could see the shaved hair and sutures. Oh, and I don't use cones on mine. I'm home with them all the time and any time I have a pup he's crated beside my bed at night so I can keep a close eye on him. I've never had any trouble with them licking and pulling out stitches so for me I feel like wearing a cone (especially in a house full of other dogs to bash it on), the cone would be more stressful. Good luck with your boys!

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:31 AM

good luck!

Haha..I don't know why we worry so much when our dogs go for surgery, but I'm the same way. I also have one scheduled for surgery on Thursday, although he's getting a ball (of something) removed from his neck, not his..eh..nevermind :-D

I worry far less about people surgery! Maybe it's because we think that vets won't be as careful for animals? I dunno.

Good luck!
RJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sib.HuskyMom View Post
The day is approaching so quickly, I'm not sure I'm ready for it.
On Thursday, both my boys will be going in for their neuter surgery. Timber also has rear dew-claws that he's getting removed.
I'm so nervous for them. I know it's routine surgery, but Jasper has an undescended testicle, so he has to have a Cryptochid (sp?) neuter.

Has anyone else been through this? How did the healing go? Did they have to stay overnight?

My poor little boys. If they only knew what was coming to them
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb View Post
Haha..I don't know why we worry so much when our dogs go for surgery, but I'm the same way. I also have one scheduled for surgery on Thursday, although he's getting a ball (of something) removed from his neck, not his..eh..nevermind :-D

I worry far less about people surgery! Maybe it's because we think that vets won't be as careful for animals? I dunno.

Good luck!
RJ
When Ciara had her spay surgery at the same vet I worked for, I curled up with her in the cage while she recovered.

Even though this vet/employer turned out to be from the evil kind, I still trust a vet over a medical doctor. It is still the "Caring Profession"