Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 4th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Basic Question about Rally-O

Help!
Ok, so I've read through most of the book I got, and its pretty good... But I have one nagging question I need answered before I start training with Charley... Does it matter how the dog ends up in the final position, or just that it gets there on a loose leash? Basically, the book is teaching some 'moves' that Charley already has commands for, and while I could re-teach Charley using the methodology and techniques in the book (which vary ever so slightly from how we presently do it), I'd rather not have to.

Opinions anyone?

Last edited by PetFriendly; June 4th, 2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Flyball Mom

What do you mean by 'how' the dog ends up in the final position?

The sits need to be square, as well as the downs. The dog needs to heel between the commands, etc.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Performance Spaniels

Doesn't matter if the command you use isn't the one being used in the book.. as long as you only use one command for each thing you ask..

I'm also not entirely sure what you mean by how though..
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Lets take the right finish for example. Charley's cue for that is I take a small step back with my right food, and he walks around, I put my foot back, he sits at my side.

In the book, they don't move their feet at all, and instead use their hands to signal the dog... At the end of it all, the 'picture' as the like to call it, looks the same...

Ok, maybe this isn't so simple that I can learn without proper instruction?!
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Performance Spaniels

Depending you moving your feet would be point deductions. I tell Cider to go 'front' she automatically sits ask her to go around, pass leash around my back, and ask her to sit. If I make any movement it's at the same time as I ask her to go around using my right hand to signal behind that side.

I thought it was silly to have taken classes, but it made it so easy when you get demos.. Meant in 6 classes we knew all 29 exercises and just had to practice them in busier environments.
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Flyball Mom

Yup, I agree, taking classes is easier because you get the proper instruction and a demo.

You can't move your feet for a finish left or right. Only ones you can move your feet in are the moving ones (sit/walk around, sit/down/walk around, etc) and the call to front, which should only be two or three steps at the most.

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Oh bother... This is sounding more 'structured' than what I was thinking. Well, we'll give it a go from the book for now, and will follow its instructions to the letter and see if I like it. If I do, we'll look for classes in the fall.
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Performance Spaniels

Yeah it is pretty structured.. fun.. but pretty specific on how stations are done. Lot easier to do than formal ob competitions which makes it a great sport for many, but it has rules just like real ob..

I didn't really like the classes we took. We took it because there was nothing else on a day I was free. Instructor was great but meh, I wasn't a fan. I was a fan of how it helped Cider though. More attention, little calmer. Worked well for me by the end.

People told me I didn't need classes, but it was just easier for us. Totally start with the book and all, just classes were more beneficial than we thought too.
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM
-

Byrd ~ didn't you and MP post a list of all your upcoming trials somewhere ? I remember there was one on Leswyn I wanted to go to. Can't fuind the post though !
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Flyball Mom

Yeah it helped Willow out a bit too, but now that she's back into the fast moving sports she's gone back to her old ways!

That instructor (MP and I took Rally at the same place) is good, she's a judge, now that doesn't mean that I like her, but, my problem with her is more on a personal level, she doesn't like Willow. She has a standard poodle that is just so calm and so perfect. Even in the class we are taking now (yeah, she's taking a class with us) she doesn't want him to get worked up, well the class is a running/jumping/playing class! The teacher for that class teases her about it all the time.

We are stepping away from Rally for a bit, we may do a couple of fun trials, but other than that I'm going to wait until Willow is a little older and a little more settled before doing any real competitions. Right now we're doing all the faster paced stuff while she's still young.

Old June 9th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Performance Spaniels

We're trialing in port perry next saturday, rally.

Cider was the hyper not listening kid in our rally class, and they didn't really have help for that either.. she was 'different'. Our first two rally legs were won under that judge though.. so I was like what a change eh, when we won. And I was so excited she got a hug, lol.
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM
-

But I thought you and Byrd were both going to be at some competition in Toronto around Leswyn ave at a place called Canac something ...
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Performance Spaniels

I wasn't seriously contemplating it.. Was Byrd?
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM

I've talked to a friend in Agility about it too... The whole heel between stations thing might be a problem... I was thinking they'd be looking for loose leash, not a perfect heel (which we both suck at). But, at least it'll give us something to work towards (and practice while waiting our turn at agility )
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Flyball Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
But I thought you and Byrd were both going to be at some competition in Toronto around Leswyn ave at a place called Canac something ...
Nope, decided to hold off on the whole rally thing for now.

You need a loose leash, the dogs shoulder or just behind the shoulder should be at your leg. That's where we have our problem too.

Old June 10th, 2007, 09:21 AM

At least I'm finding all this out before paying for classes...

We tried flyball... what a disaster! I'm not sure if its the way its being taught, or Charley's unwillingness to work while not at my side, or maybe its me ( ). We went to 6 of the ten lessons and have since quit...
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Flyball Mom

Too bad you don't live out this way. I assist with the flyball classes at our facility. We teach at the dog's pace, not the pace we think they should be at. For example, one of the dogs wouldn't even pick up a ball and I spent the entire class sitting in the corner with him, a clicker, and treats, training him that picking up the ball is the right thing (the owner's coordination with the clicker is not good). Now, he picks up the ball just fine.

Old June 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM

It but its my thread, so I guess it doesn't matter...

How on earth did you get the dog to pick the ball up inthe first place... That's my problem, I know how to work the clicker, but can't make the dog produce the behaviour! He does know pick it up, but that's more in context of one of his larger toys, and us changing the room we are in (i.e. leave the bedroom to go to the living room).
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Flyball Mom

Well first off make sure he associates the click with a treat in that the click means that the behaviour is right, kind of the Pavlov's Dog thing, process of association, shaping a natural behaviour.

K, we would put the ball on the ground and if he so much as looked at it we'd click. Then when they have that down you wait for them to touch it then click. Then when they have that down, mouthing then click. Then wait until they hold it for a few seconds, click. So, eventually you would have a dog that picks up the ball. We use the command 'get the ball', but you don't say anything when shaping a behaviour for the first bit.

Old June 17th, 2007, 01:03 AM

Hi I am considering Rally. But finding out it is very structured. And you have to watch you don't learn bad habits. I have to learn what is expected of not only the dog, but me too. Still considering. Good luck.
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Performance Spaniels

It's structured, but fun once you've learned it. We took home our rally novice title yesterday. Advanced looks like more fun with the jump
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the tip on picking up the ball... I wasn't able to log in... The computer blew up! OK so not literally, but you know, one day it was working, the next, nothing!