Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM

Help, whats wrong with her now!!!!

Hi there I am new here and looking for some other ideas as to what is wrong with my dog. Firstly I want to say that I have been to the vets about this and it is ongoing. Im looking for advice now :-)

Crystal is 15 months old, she is a Border Collie crossed with a Staffy, she is all white with blue eyes and is my little baby, I've had her since she was 8 weeks old.

She has had no medical problems what so ever until recently. We have already been to our vets 5 times since the problem began back in march this year. It all started with diarrohea and a temperature which was treated for colitis with anti inflamatories and fibre tablets, this didnt work so we took her back, she was then given more fibre tablets and antibiotics, this worked and cleared it up straight away. As soon as she had finished the course it came back. This time, it had blood and mucas in it, she went back to the vets, got more antibiotics.

These also didnt work, they seemed to clear it up until the course was over, then straight away the mucas was back.

We took her back and she was given more antibiotics and was tested for campylobacter and salmonella. We had a call from the vet a few days later saying the results for salmonella were negative but she did have campylobacter. He said the antibiotics she was on should clear it. If not to call and he will arrange for some different ones to be put at reception for me.

Needless to say, the mucas was back the day after she finished the course - as usual! I picked up the different antibiotics and she finished the last one this friday. The mucas is back today! So now I am here with her feeling frustrated that these ones didnt work either!!

It seems that ALL of the antibiotics work up til the day after the course is finished! Obviously I want my dog to be better and I am calling the vets first thing tomorrow to ask what to do next. I think he'll ask me to bring in a poo sample so they can test it.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?! Crystal is fine in herself and has no other symptoms of anything, literally just the mucas.

Im pulling my hair out, I just want it to go now! I'm having a bit of financial trouble too which doesnt help as it's already cost me £200 (I am claiming it back on insurance but i have to pay the vet first - also, the new insurance (renewal) wont cover her for any bowel problems just because we claimed this time - whats the point!!!)

Please help!

Donna, Phil and Crystal xxxxxx
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Has she been retested again for samonella? Perhaps the first test was a false negative?

Has she been tested for Giardia? This is one that can sometimes gve a false negative in the first test & is a good idea to be retested a few weeks after the first.

Is she swimming regularly, possibility being re-infected?

Have you considered the possibility of a food intolerance? What is she eating?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:48 PM

No we have only had one set of tests done, there is a possibilty of re infection as she poos in the same place each day so may get some on her feet, then lick it later on? (we pick it up and throw it away)

She was only tested for salmonella and camplylobacter the once, never heard of Giardia?

She doen't like to swim so it not that?

She eats Natures Diet meat with pedigree small bite mixer, she hates dry biscuits without the meat - we had a hard time finding a food she liked! She has been on this diet since she was about 9 months old.

I just don't know what to do, she licks her bottom a lot, we tell her to stop when we see it but we're not here 24/7 - she also does it when we are sleeping. Could that cause re infection?

I've cleaned her feet today after her walk and wiped her bottom in case of residue, it's just so hard to keep on top of it.

The wierd thing is that the whole time she is on antibiotics it goes, without a trace - totally normal poo from the first tablet taken! But as soon as she had finished a course it comes straight back like it was there the whole time!

Donna xx
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:23 PM

If it were me, I would have the tests run again, also test for Giardia.

The licking of her behind could definately be contributing to reinfection.

The Naturediet meat looks good but personally I wouldn't feed Pedigree there are many more healthier choices. Have a look thorough our Dog food forum for some good healthy dog food choices you might have access to.

Old July 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Doggie Wench

Welcome Crystalpuppy .

This sounds like intestinal parasites (Giardia could be one of many). She may be licking her bum because it can be itchy/irritated. I'm surprised your vet didn't do this right at the beginning .

2 3-day treatments (with 10 days between each set) of Panacur is the only thing that helped Lucky when he come with us.

I'd suggest your vet analyze a stool sample to be sure before prescribing any more anti-biotics .
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:39 PM
-

Has she been wormed recently? It sounds like it is intestinal parasites and I would take a poop sample in to your vet. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:46 PM

She's had canikur is that the same as panacur? Im in the UK. It didnt do a thing :-(

I dont like using pedigree either but she doesn't seem to like anything else our pet shop provides! Its just the mixer so i dont mind too much and she only has a handful a day.

I think I might say to the vet that i want him to test the feaces before anything, i hate pumping all these drugs into her! :-(

Donna x

Edited to say: Yes she is regularly wormed, she has tabs every 3 months without fail - this is probably why the vet didnt think it was paracites?
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Dewormers don't generally cover giardia, samonella, campylobacter etc

Did the vet give you any tips for cleaning the yard? If it is a feces related infection, it would be a good idea to spray the area she uses with a bleach/water mixture on a sunny day & make sure she's not out in the yard until the area is completely dry again. Can't guarentee that won't kill your grass though

where are my manners Welcome to pets.ca

Old July 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM

thanks :-) it's nice to be able to come somewhere to show the animals off!!

We don't have a yard as we live in an apartment block, we just take her to the grassy area outside round the back, i could spray that with bleach/water mixture though.

I'll see what the vet says in the morning (its 1.15am monday here!) and let you know what he says, ill push for some tests to be done, I just hope it doesn't cost me a fortune oh well it all comes with the animals!!
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Doggie Wench

No they are not the same. Canikur just treats the actual diarrhea (which explains why it comes back after treatment) and not the cause of the diarrhea. Panacur is a broad spectrum anti-parasiticide for parasites such as hookworm, roundworm, whipworm, and giardia. If she does indeed have parasites, your vet should be able to determine which one/s through analysis of her stool. However, as Growler mentioned, giardia is often difficult to detect and may need repeat tests. (Please do not administer de-wormers without your vet's advice. Many found on-line and in pet stores are not only usually not effective, but can be detrimental to your dog's health).

A stool sample is definitely something you want to bring in to the vet. I still find it odd that he didn't start with that first. The test is fairly inexpensive, 20$ here (approximately 10 pounds).
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
-

You might want to try another food. Most of my guys had that problem, after tests , antibiotics , deworming , it always came back. I switched food and everything settled.
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Oh ok, ill see what he says and hopefully we'll find out tomorrow whats wrong!!

I always buy the de worming tablets from the vet so thats ok.

The vet seems to think the food is fine as she has been on it for 6 months before she had any problems? is she likely to have "grown" an allergy to the food over time??
I have tried a lot of foods over the time Ive had her, I try to keep up with the most healthy ones but she is incredibly fussy!

I just hope the vet has a better idea of what it is now!!
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, she could develop an allergy to food over time. Some conditions, such as inflammatory bowel disease, are basically food allergies. However, they don't generally clear up when treated with antibiotics.

It does sound similar to giardia. I don't think Panacur will help if it is, though--Panacur is for worms (ascarids, tape worms, whipworms...) Metronidazole is usually prescribed for giardia around here.

We've also seen similar symptoms in our dogs when they've had coccidiosis. But coccidiosis and giardia are easily picked up from the environment, so reinfection can be a problem.

Good luck at the vet, Crystalpuppy. I hope you can get a definitive diagnosis and clear up the problem for good!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."