Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Kitty Consort

Dog Food Choices - No Corn?

I have just re-read the posts on dog food brands... a most interesting and informative thread!

Could I ask you - which of these two small kibble dry dog foods seems better?
Or do both seem a poor choice due to the corn content? Should a dog food contain NO corn or corn gluten meal at all? ( I avoid this entirely with my cats)

At $12 for 3 pounds.. The Royal Canin I've been using is 4 times more expensive than the one listed below - that has chicken as the first ingredient. I bought a bag just to try it.

Royal Canin Mini Dog Food ( Poodle 30)
Ingredients:
Chicken meal, corn gluten meal, ground corn, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), ground barley, ground oatmeal, chicken, natural chicken flavor, powdered cellulose, dried beet pulp, salmon oil, soy protein isolate, dried brewers yeast, soya oil, calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, chicory extract, DL-methionine, sodium tripolyphosphate, L-lysine, choline chloride, borage oil, taurine*. Plus added vitamins I omitted from list)

Presidents Choice Nutrition 1st Premium Adult Dog Food
Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, brewers rice, ground corn, corn gluten meal, poultry fat ( naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), ground barley, fish meal, poultry flavour, beet pulp, flaxseed meal, dried whole egg, yeast culture, salt, dicalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, mannannoligosaccharide, choline chloride

I need a small kibble, and as he's a tiny dog that doesnt eat much.. the cost is not the motivator.
I do though want to get the best "buy" nutritionally..and I dont think I have it with R.C.
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:47 PM
banned user

Sorry I don't know anything about the 2 you are asking about but would like to add that I feed Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. No corn no by-products, my mother now feeds it to her small dogs aswell. It comes in small bites for small dogs, they love it and are doing well. Picky eats not much for dog food but will eat this.
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:17 PM
banned user

If I had to choose between the two, I'd chose the one that has chicken listed as the first ingredient (rather than chicken "meal").

The price will balance out with a good food, because it will be more filling and your dog will eat (and poop) less. So you'll be buying it less often.
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:22 PM

Talking

i agree with goldenblaze, the nutro is the better food mostly because they use no by-products and real chicken
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:54 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

what to look for in your dog food..

here's an EXCELLENT article on how to choose your kibble. hope it helps!

How to chose your dog's food
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:11 PM
Owned by goldens

dog food

If chicken is mentioned as the first ingredient, followed by chicken meal then it has a fair amount of protein. A food that lists chicken and then does not list a protein until 7th or 8th on the ingredients list means there is less protein.
If possible avoid foods with, corn, corn gluten, brewers rice, wheat, by products and non-specific animal fats. Foods that do not contain these ingredients will be more expensive but are of a better quality and you will see a difference long term in the health of your dog. Less skin problems, ear problems to name a few.
If you are looking for a small dog specific food of good quality try Solid Gold. They sell a food for small dogs. It contains bison and salmon meal.
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM

Actually chicken meal is better because it is the chicken without the water content. You actually get more chicken per weight than you do with whole chicken.

That said I pick neither. Unless you're really strapped for cash, you really shouldn't feed any corn. It is not absorbed by the dog and just ends up coming straight out the pooper. You feed more, they absorb less and you usually have to pay more in vet bills because of allergies and sensitivities.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:19 AM
banned user

LOL I see you read the article, too, Prin
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:29 AM

What article? I got it from the innova website...
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:28 PM
Kitty Consort

Thanks for your suggestions on this, everyone. BoxerRescue, that was a very good link you provided, some very good info, thx for that.
One suprise.. as Prin mention here too - "'chicken" is not necessarily better than chicken meal due to the weight. I thought the reverse was true.

Well, I'm going to return the President's Choice food.. or just donate it.
I gave him a try on it, he didnt like it - and I dont even want to proceed with it anyway. Its comparable with what I was feeding for a LOT less money... but not a "better" food.

The funny thing is, I "had" the Solid Gold package in my hand... and the girl working in the pet store talked me out of it. She said it was not as "complete" a food as Royal Canin.(?) and that supplements are reccomended along with it. I didnt know what she was meaning but left it behind..

I dont mind paying for a good quality food - and that's what I've been doing, at $4 dollars a pound for the Royal Canin Mini. But do I HAVE a good quality? That is my concern.. and I think the answer is no.

I'll find one that contains strictly no corn, and in a small kibble such as Nutro. As my dog is getting older, I am ever more aware of the importance of his diet.

I originally felt it was a major accomplishment just to get him eatng "any" dog food.( fussy)
But now... I dont want him eating "any" food. I want the healthiest.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:31 PM

Solid gold DOES recommend you buy the Seameal with the food as a supplement. It is as complete as any other food, it's just Solid Gold is more ready to admit that some nutrients are lost in the cooking process. You don't need it, but it does help with digestion. If you ask solid gold, they recommend the Sea meal be used on all foods, not just theirs.