Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 15th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Orijen meat meals -- anyone have information?

Hi -- I have been feeding Orijen since it first came out and am still feeding it today but I have a question that I keep trying to get an answer for but they never do reply. This is bothering me a little.

I understand that meat meal probably isn't the greatest thing in any pet food and although Orijen states that their ingredients are "fit for human consumption", according to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, the "fit for human consumption" meals in pet foods can contain diseased animals as long as the cooking process kills the disease.

I have asked them about this a number of times and still no response.
I just thought they would at least say something!

This is the question I sent:

Hi -- I tried to get an answer to this question awhile ago but didn't get a response so I will try again.

I would like to know more information about your chicken, turkey and fish meals. I recently asked the Canadian food Inspection Agency this question:

Hello - If a manufacturer states that their `chicken, fish and turkey meals are produced exclusively from animals that are certified as fit for human consumption by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)`what
exactly does this mean? Just wondering if you could tell me where this meat might originate, what it might contain and what criteria must it meet in order to be certified?

Canadian Food Inspection Agency answer:
I have passed your question re: fish meal on to Lyle Reid, program manager for fish and seafood for answering. As to chicken and turkey meal this would mean that only turkeys and chickens that passed inspection as healthy were used to produce the meal. It is acceptable for condemned birds and other animals to be rendered and used in livestock/petfood as long as the rendering process will kill all disease causing agents that resulted in the animals condemnation. If the feed company says the meal is from only birds that passed inspection they should be able to provide you with proof of this statement as normally meal does contain condemned birds.

Thank you.
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:55 PM
-

Interesting question but I don't think that Champion Pet Foods would use any diseased meat in their products. I will contact Peter and see what he has to say and let you know.
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM
-

Here is the reply I got from Peter .....

Hello *****,

Thanks for writing to us on the often confusing subject of chicken or fish meal ingredients. I’ll begin by stating that information provided on the blog is incorrect. Every animal ingredient that enters Champion Petfoods’ premises is either:

1: PASSED FIT FOR ‘HUMAN CONSUMPTION’ (this is the case for all of our fresh meats, where the ingredient itself is passed fit for human consumption and then delivered fresh) or,

2: PRODUCED FROM ANIMALS PASSED FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION (this is the case with all of our meal ingredients, such as chicken, turkey, fish or lamb).

There can be no exceptions to points one and two.

Information regarding the CFIA on the blog is perhaps a little misleading. The ‘passed fit for human consumption’ designation is actually part of the European Union’s pet food legislation (Regulation 1774) and the CFIA certifies all of our ingredients meet this standard. The standard we are held to is that ALL animals used to produce pet food ingredients must pass both pre & post mortem inspection by a federal meat inspector or officer within a federally approved processing facility. Again, there are no exceptions to this rule.

In order to quality as an EU 1774 ‘passed fit’ ingredient, the ingredient processor (such as our chicken renderer, for example) can handle ONLY ‘passed fit’ ingredients. They cannot have ANY animal ingredient on their premises that is not certified to human-grade standard. There are no exceptions to this rule, and all animal ingredient suppliers are registered with the CFIA, who audits us 4 times each year.

So, while the CFIA will allow rendered animal parts of varying quality to be used in pet foods (there are no real regulations in Canada), because Champion’s products and factory is EU certified, we are held to a much higher standard than domestic Canadian or US pet food makers (which explains why many of the ‘top’ foods in North America can’t be sold within the European Union).

In closing, I confirm that every animal ingredient used to make either ACANA or ORIJEN is either (a) passed fit for human consumption & delivered fresh, or (b) produced exclusively from animals passed as fit for human consumption (meals). Please let me know if you require further clarification on this point, and thanks again for taking the time to investigate.

Warm Regards,
Peter
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Great information and follow up Rainbow.
Rock on!
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:09 AM

Yes, thank you Rainbow!

I have been trying to get this question answered for some time and was getting a little frustrated! In the past I'd always get replies right away and for whatever reason, I was never getting a reply to this specific question -- which I'd asked a number of times now.

Don't know how you did it but Thank you!
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
-

I have never had a problem with getting an answer from them ....glad that I was able to help.