Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:11 PM
Kitty Mum

Visit to the Kitty Doctor

Okay...well not just a kitty doctor but an animal doctor in general AKA the Vet

Today I took Jesse, my 12 year old Black cat, for his annual visit for a health check and the required shots. It was such a horrible fight to get him into his cat carrier when we had to leave. The taxi cab outside was honking due to the wait! I will tell you though, he got back into that carrier before the door could fully open when it was time to return home. I guess I would too after having a thermometer shoved up my bum, fingers proding in my mouth and pricked with a couple of needles!!! I always feel so bad when I take him for his visits because he gets so upset. First with the cat carrier, then the crying in the taxi all the way there and back, and of course the grand finally after all is said and done and he has that look of "Why the hell do you do this to me!?!" I wish there was a way to calm him for his ride there and back - make it more enjoyable, but I think that is impossible. After the visit I got him some treats for furballs and clean teeth.

Anyway, the outcome and verdict?...... Jesse, she said, is a great cat. He is a healthy 12 lb with a solid foundation and in great health! Yay, another wonderful visit.

In two weeks it is Fidel and baby's time to go!!!
Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:27 PM

You could try Rescue Remedy. It can be found at your health food/bulk store. We have a "Main Ingredient" here that carries it. It has a calming effect and as far as I know is all natural.
Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:31 PM
~Cat Servent~

Good to hear!!! I know I have mentioned it in another thread...maybe the one about my vet visit, not sure....but those soft sided carriers from Vagabond at Wal-mart are heavenly for vet visits. They open top or end...have a cushy pad that slides out and can be carried over the shoulder. There is also a strap to attach to your cats harness, so that they stay in place!
I noticed a big difference in the fight factor when I switched all mine over to that style carrier. And at the vets, just being able to slide them out instead of pull them out is so great!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 2nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Kitty Mum

Thanks guys! I was not expecting solutions or suggestions in response to a great but adventurous trip - you are so wonderful!!! My kitties will be very happy that there are people out there who care about their comfort and have suggestions for their "Mommy" I have had cats forever and you would think I would have thought of things like this Instead I try to make our trips only when necessary.

I will definitely check out that Rescue Remedy. I hope it can be easily hidden in food or something; or looks like a treat! Jesse is horribly fussy - if it looks like it could be "medicine" he will have nothing to do with it. Have you ever met e cat who was a master of spitting things back at you?

The carrier sounds really great. Jesse has already busted one by breaking off the little plastic latch. He was not even going to the vets. He did it one night quietly at home when no one was looking. All I heard was this little snap and went to see what one of them was up to and there he was with this little plastic green latch at the bottom of his feet. When I first got him I only had this little cardboard carrier that the shelter gives you. Well, he ate his way through it. He did not swallow he just started ripping it apart

I have a good plastic carrier right now that is Jesse proof. I put one of my towels in there with him and his favourite stuffy. Being down to one though has limited me to one kitty per trip. Which is probably a better idea in the long run anyway. I am defintely going to go take a look for one of those carriers at Walmart or Petsmart. Hopefully it will do the trick and help calm his nerves.