Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The whole front yard looks like a garden sometimes

We've recently stopped cutting much of the front yard. We're hoping it will eventually grow up in birch and oak and give us a little more privacy from the road. I'm hoping to get some native wildflowers established in the sunny areas, too.

Meanwhile, though, I have to say that Spring brings out the beauty of even the invasive plants. Only some of the grasses and possibly some of the yellow hawkweeds are native here--the rest of the flowers you see in the grass are exotics. Including the Shasta daisies, which turn out to be some of the more problematic weeds we have in the area...you'll see why in the last few shots.

Name:  Front lawn 6-17-11 H.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  146.4 KB

Name:  Front yard 6-17-11 A.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  135.2 KB

Name:  Front lawn 6-17-11 F.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  115.1 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Name:  Front lawn 6-17-11 E.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  Front lawn 6-17-11 D.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  Front lawn 6-17-11 G.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  64.2 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Name:  Front lawn 6-17-11 C.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  109.9 KB

Name:  Front lawn 6-17-11 B.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  129.6 KB

Name:  Front lawn 6-17-11 A.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  145.8 KB

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

That looks wonderful, Hazel. What is the orange flower in amongst the daisies?
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM
You can call me DOG!

The orange flowers look like Zinnia's? Your birches look very healthy btw.

Love your shasta daisies...they look so peaceful IMO.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The daisies are pretty, but a pain, klm...you just can't get rid of them once they're established unless you poison the whole lawn and start over! And probably the poison would kill the native stuff and the daisies would come up again! Shasta daisies line the gravel roads around here, too.

The orange flowers are another non-native--orange hawkweed. Their saving grace is that the butterflies love them.

Old July 13th, 2011, 01:00 AM

So pretty

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 13th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Half Way To Crazy

love Daisies

it looks so pretty even if they are a pain sometimes
Old July 13th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Mickey, my angel

It does look very purty and the daisies and hawkweed do look very nice. Too bad they are so invasive.

Would be great if you could introduce some native flowers as well. However, with the daisies growing so prolifically, you may have trouble.

True shasta daisy cultivars are supposed to be sterile. I am wondering if what you have are either oxeye daisies or an accidental hybrid rather than a true shasta daisy:

http://www.invasiveplants.ab.ca/Down...OxeyeDaisy.pdf

Shasta daisy is a cultivar (originated from) of Oxeye and was originally sterile, but can revert back to being fertile. Oxeye plants can be found sold through nurseries and as seed in wildflower mixes. The two plants can cross breed, resulting in an invasive hybrid that is difficult to distinguish from either parent.

Apparently daisies are shallow rooted and hand pulling can get rid of them over time (that is if you want to spend the next several springs and summers pulling daisies). I'm sure you have better things to do with your time.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

our yard was infested with daisies, I have giant shasta ones in my flower beds, but they are like 3 times the size of the ones that had tried to take over my yard *L* our fields around here are filled with them also.
your front yard looks great like that! how close are you to the road?
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

That's very interesting info, mikischo. Explains why my one solitary Shasta daisy has been one solitary Shasta daisy for years. Obviously the true sterile type.
That photo of the drift of daisies in the sunlight under the silver birches is a beauty, Hazel. I think you are all just so lucky to have summers where everything is lush and green or flowering, because here it is just bone dry with that terrible risk of bushfires all the time.
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
True shasta daisy cultivars are supposed to be sterile. I am wondering if what you have are either oxeye daisies or an accidental hybrid rather than a true shasta daisy:

http://www.invasiveplants.ab.ca/Down...OxeyeDaisy.pdf

Could very well be! Matches the description, but then one white daisy looks pretty much like another to me.

Apparently daisies are shallow rooted and hand pulling can get rid of them over time (that is if you want to spend the next several springs and summers pulling daisies). I'm sure you have better things to do with your time.
I spend a good part of my spring yanking them out of the gardens. We have about a third of an acre that is 'infested', and most of that we just keep mowed, but I'll pull them, too, if I have time. Just not enough hours in the day to make much of a dent in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
our yard was infested with daisies, I have giant shasta ones in my flower beds, but they are like 3 times the size of the ones that had tried to take over my yard *L* our fields around here are filled with them also.
your front yard looks great like that! how close are you to the road?
I think we've got 150 ft or so to the road. So roughly 50 meters.

These 'wild' daisies are smaller than the ones that I normally see in gardens...which would tie into the oxeye vs. shasta thing. I'm sure that as they cultivated the Shastas from the wild Oxeye, they would have selected for larger, showier flowers. If these are Oxeye, it would explain the size difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
That photo of the drift of daisies in the sunlight under the silver birches is a beauty, Hazel. I think you are all just so lucky to have summers where everything is lush and green or flowering, because here it is just bone dry with that terrible risk of bushfires all the time.
The last two years have been very wet and lush, GF, but a more normal spring / early summer around here is much drier. We live in the middle of hundreds of thousands of acres of forest and some years it's been like living in a tinder pile. The DNR often parks firefighting trucks a mile down the road at the lake so as to be closer to possible trouble areas during dry years. We're about 30 miles or so from the ranger station so that saves them a good 30-40 minutes response time if there's a fire.

Old July 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

The last two years have been very wet and lush, GF, but a more normal spring / early summer around here is much drier. We live in the middle of hundreds of thousands of acres of forest and some years it's been like living in a tinder pile. The DNR often parks firefighting trucks a mile down the road at the lake so as to be closer to possible trouble areas during dry years. We're about 30 miles or so from the ranger station so that saves them a good 30-40 minutes response time if there's a fire.
You must be enjoying this Summer as much as I did ours then? I couldn't recall a better one for us, no risk of fires at all. That was a result of a La Nina weather pattern though and I don't think we'll have that next Summer. Scary that they put that firetruck near you, but reassuring in a way. How populated is it where you are? What sized blocks?
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We're a double township--so 12 miles x 6 miles--with about 80 residents. Pretty sparse. Most of the residents live around the lake.

Old July 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

ohhh nice size front yard, I envy you
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

hubby thinks the drive is a little long for snowblowing in the winter, but otherwise it's very nice