Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 21st, 2013, 07:32 PM

Transporting a small dog from Montreal to Toronto

Hi everyone,

I am moving in a few weeks from Montreal to Toronto. My dog is a small Yorkshire-Shih tzu mix and weighs about 5 pounds. I don't have a driver's license and there isn't anyone that I know whom I can ask to drive me all the way there.

I have looked into the following options:

-Greyhound doesn't allow pets, so bus is out

- ViaRail allows pets as long as they are checked in with luggage; however, the Montreal-Toronto route doesn't have checked in luggage, so this option isn't available

- I thought of rideshares, but the idea of finding an arrangement online and randomly creeps me out (single woman traveling alone); plus, what if the ride falls through for whatever reason?

- I am willing to spend the funds on flying the both of us and bringing my dog as carry on (I wouldn't be comfortable having her with the luggage because of her size and anyway this option isn't available at the moment due to extreme weather).

However, I am concerned by the dimensions of the carrier as outlined by West Jet, Air Canada and Porter, namely by the height of the carrier. Even though my dog is small (closer to a Yorkshire than a Shih tzu), she is definitely taller than 10" standing height. Just how strict is the requirement that the pet is able to stand and move around in the carrier? I am so nervous that we will be turned away at check in.

I would appreciate your advice on flying small dogs with Canadian airlines or alternative means of travel (for example, a reputable rideshare between the two cities.. all I have found are sketchy ads).

Thanks!
Old December 21st, 2013, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Are there any travel agencies you can call or go to , they might be know why the airline requirements are for traveling on a plane with a small dog.
Old December 21st, 2013, 09:49 PM

Since you're moving - how's the rest of your stuff getting out there? If it's going by moving truck.. maybe you can make arrangements that way?

As for the flying - I have no experience there, but I would call West Jet directly (or whichever airline you decide to go with) and ask for clarification, express your concerns, etc. If you're happy with the response - try to get it in writing and have it with you at the time of your departure
Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.canuckdogs.com/index.php?...4-82a1a1446e5b

The classified section on Canuck Dogs has folks looking for transportation and other help, or offering help. Might be worth a look here. Maybe you'd feel more comfortable asking this on a dog website but folks would still be strangers to you. And you to them.
Old December 25th, 2013, 09:39 AM

There absolutely is checked luggage on the montreal-toronto via rail route, we brought a cat back that way last year. Perhaps not on all trains but certainly some.