Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:46 PM

cats and dogs

I need help!! I recently started fostering to adopt a one year old Rott/doberman cross with Lab/ collie. The problem is he won't leave my beloved cats alone and they are becoming really stressed. I've got a week to work a miracle, then I'm committed. Is there anything I can do so that I can have this lovely boy cohabit nicely with my kitties?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:10 PM

They can't find you a dog that is already good with cats?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:16 PM
-

Dogs and cats have to be introduced to each other gradually. A week is not enough time to "work a miracle" IMO especially if he has not been around cats and your cats have not been around dogs.

If you are not already attached to this dog or you do not want to introduce them slowly then you should find a different dog that's good with cats already.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

There are no "miracles". There is only training and that takes time.

You must never let this dog chase your cats. You need to teach the dog the "Leave it" command.

Keep the dog on leash and when he sees the cats and tries to lunge at them, correct and say "LEAVE IT!" When dog turns and looks at you, praise and give treat.

You must do this every time. The point is dog thinks realizes "I lunge at the cats, I get a correction. I ignore the cats and I get treats and praise". Since dogs do what works for them, he should learn.

Cats MUST have a dog-free haven. Set them up in a room with their stuff and put a chain on the door so it opens only wide enough for the cats to enter.
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

There is ways to make it work! However I babysat a doberman pup once for 4 months and he seriously injured my cat!!!! He was 12weeks when i got him so he was young enough to learn to be good. My cat was used to dogs so I thought it was going to be alright, well after 2 months he was still convinced that the cat was his own personal chew toy
Best of luck with your endeavor, but i do believe that you have to give a bit more time.