Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly's_Mommy View Post
Molly has been on a diet of Purina kitten chow, ever since she came to live with me(six months ago). It was about a 3-4 weeks ago, I started her on Fancy Feast along with her regular food has a treat. It seems as if her ulcers happened around the same time.
What flavours of Fancy Feast? There are quite a few ingredients in some of the FF varieties that can be hyperallergenic to cats. Fish is a big one, as are wheat gluten, soy, beef, and "mystery meat" by-products. The Purina Kitten Chow isn't that great either, so my recommendation is to find a grain-free canned food (or else consider a raw diet) with a novel protein source (and no fish). Innova Evo 95% makes venison or duck, and Nature's Variety Instinct also has rabbit, if you can find it. If neither of these are available in your area, maybe Natural Balance Venison or Duck and Green Pea is.

What kind of dishes does Molly eat/drink out of? If they're plastic, that could also be part of the problem. Switching to glass or stainless steel would be better.

Some info for you on why cats should only eat wet food: www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:57 PM

Not right medicine

Two sundays ago, I realized that my 3yr old cat had blood in his urine. Our normal vet wasen't in the office so we had to take him somewhere else. They did a urinalysis and everything else and administered a dose of convenia to him. Well a week went by and there was no improvement. We finally went to our regular vet yesterday and were prescribed 2 oral antibiotics. I was questionalble about this "wonder" 2 week shot. Well I was right it didn't work for his UTI. I thought I would look up this antibiotic shot and saw that it is basically only for wounds and skin irritations, so I'm alittle upset. I hope this antibiotic works for what it is suppose to be used for but I would question if they are trying to give it to treat any urinary infections. I know oral antibiotics are a pain but sometimes it is better treatment for the pet overall.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Finn just had her second shot of Convenia last friday. I really wish I had found this thread before we agreed to the first shot. She hasn't had any scary side effects thus far. But she did have an accident outside the litterbox a few days ago, so I may have to go back and request another urinalysis to make sure the Convenia is working. Poor girl.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM

Question Gingivitis & Convenia injection

My cat has a bad case of chronic gingivitis. The vet has been treating him with steriod injections every 4 weeks or so, and also a daily does of steriods that are rubbed into his ear. He eats very little, and then stops eating altogether until I take him in for another injection, although last time, he received both the steriod and Convenia injections. So far, so good, no adverse reactions and kitty starting eating in a matter of 3-4 hours vs. 2-3 more days with just the steriod injection. Does anyone have a similar experience and/or know of any other way to treat this condition? The vet is talking about removing some of his molars but doesn't know if it will cure him of the is condition or not. Please share your thoughts with me, any advice? Thanks....
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

2catwoman - welcome. You may get more replies if you started a new thread of your own. Not sure how many would check this thread.
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catwoman View Post
My cat has a bad case of chronic gingivitis.
Has the vet mentioned stomatitis at all? It's true that sometimes the only option is to remove all or most of a cat's teeth in order to alleviate the severe pain that a cat with stomatitis experiences. Some things to consider before it gets to that are diet and immune system. What does your cat currently eat? How old is he? Has he been tested for FIV and FeLV?

Here's a link to check out:
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm.../detail/514808

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM

to Sugarcatmom

Thanks for responding...no, my vet has not mentioned stomatitis, but I expect that is what it is. When the problem first erupted, my cat was tested for both FIV and FeLV. In fact, he was tested twice and came up negative both times. This all started right after I adopted him from a local shelter when he was just 10 months old. He is now about 2.5 years old. He eats only hard food. He refuses any canned food, but he will briefly lap at it when I offer it. I feed him Hills brand food, and sometimes I have to mix his diet up with whatever dry food he will go for just to get some nutrients in his system. The vet initially suspected an immune disorder and that has been ruled out since no FIV/FeLV is evident. I've even tried a Venison diet which kitty liked, but still gets the inflammation. We tried the venison thinking that it was potentially a food allergy. Poor thing...he loses weight and once he gets his shot, his weight goes back up some. It is hard to see him starving for days at a time, but the vet warns that frequent injections could result in diabetes. I havel consider putting him to rest, but it is a last resort and only if removing his teeth doesn't help. I hope your kitty is doing ok...
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:45 PM

to sugarcatmom

By the way, thanks for the link to the article on stomatitis. I've read up on it before. The article suggests that removal of teeth may be whats in order for my kitty. This is all getting quite expensive, so I'm just hoping that it will all be worthwhile. I am new to this forum, so I am going to have to figure out how to start a new thread so that I can talk to more of the members here. Thanks again for your replies...
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catwoman View Post
...I am going to have to figure out how to start a new thread...
If you go to this page (the list of threads in Cat Health), about 1/2 way down on the left there's the "NEW THREAD" button. HTH and welcome!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM

Thumbs up To Rustycat

Tp Rustycat:

Thanks for the link to start the new post! I'm new here and still trying to figure things out. I just posted my issue, so hope to get some responses. Thanks again!!!
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:23 AM

You guys should consider yourself lucky, or just smart. My oldest kitty is only 1.5 years old and has never needed antibiotics so I had no idea what kind of a price range was normal. it was SIXTY dollars for the Convenia injection my kitty just got for her very bad UTI. Along with the steroids and office visit grand total was $130. Now I feel gipped after coming on here and hearing others paid half of that. I need kitty insurance.

My cat is pretty hostile and I couldn't imagine getting any pill or liquid in her so I guess it is worth it for that, as long as it works. She just started urinating blood last night so I took her in first thing this morning. The vet didn't recommend a urine culture as I thought he would. He said it was clear from the symptoms it's either a UTI or Lower Urinary Tract disease and with both antibiotics and steroids both would be covered. I sure hope he's right. He said with as small as her bladder is we wouldn't be able to get a culture sample. After doing some research and reading this thread I will be keeping a close eye on her for any adverse effects she may have.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:43 PM

Exclamation Beware of Convenia

My otherwise healthy 9 year old cat received an injection on Convenia last week for a UTI. He proceeded to go into shock requiring intubation and aggressive resuscitation. He lost his vision, was altered, and his hind legs were paralyzed. He regained his vision and use of his legs about 14 hours later. It broke my heart watching him struggle like that. He spent three days at the vet evaluating all his organ systems to determine what happened. The scant literature demonstrates no adverse reactions, BUT please beware that this may not be a benign medication. Thank god I had a great vet who acted to save his life. I'm sure any antibiotic would have cost less than the $2200 I spent for this reaction.
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Convenia

My newly adopted old lady cat had it, apparently Normal Saline would have worked better. No problem with her..luckily from what others have said. She had a MDR strain of bug and after I finally got a vet to C/S her, culture and sensitivity test, found out $$$ wasted. Now on a different med, first dose last evening, so no 'report' on it yet.

Why wont vets almost routinely do that test when the 'first' tried med doesn't work? Had to threaten to grab cat and run to lawyer to get them to do that.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:48 PM

Creamsicle's Gone

My cat was given a dose of Convenia last Tuesday for a cold. By last Wednesday night he was mouth breathing and dead by Thursday morning. I've cried for a week and just checked the vet's receipt to learn what exactly he was given. Convenia is for skin infections, not a respiratory infection. I think he went into a severe reaction from it. I read about Convenia's contraindications ans side effects. One of them is anaphylaxis.

I intend to go to the vet and let them get an earful from me. Not only was the cat killed, but I paid them $154 for that. The I paid another $137 to have him cremated thru that same vet's office. Not only have I been ripped off, but he's DEAD and I can't stop crying. And my birthday is tomorrow - as if it can't get more pitiful...I'm using the anger for energy.

Last edited by Ford; March 30th, 2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:30 AM

convenia reaction?

My first post here, hope it gets through.

My old neutered male, about 11-12, is very laid back. He loves being outside in good weather but stays inside when it's cold or raining. He's trained to go to the door when he needs out to use the bathroom and since we do not use a litter box inside, if he has an emergency in the night, he hops in the bathtub.

Our neighborhood has a few feral males that do roam and sometimes my cat encounters one of them. Last Thursday, he was limping just a bit and excessively licking his right foreleg. I took him to the vet and sure enough, there was a puncture wound and the old boy had a fever. It was abcessed.

The vet, whom I like a lot, kept him overnight, lanced the infection and gave him a shot of convenia. I picked him up Friday and he spent the rest of that day plus all day Saturday sleeping. When he did wake up, he was a little shakey on his legs. He did not want to eat or drink but I wasn't concerned too much because we had real bad weather all day, drizzly rain.

On Sunday, he was not any better although the area of surgery was healing very nicely. Old Garney was even more wobbly. Monday I took him back in as he was not urinating or defecating and he could not stand up on all fours. It was as if he could not control his two front legs

He did manage to urinate in the vet's office and the vet was able to do a culture. Blood in the urine. Since Garney already had the convenia in him the vet said it would work for the urinary problem. He also gave him a shot of metacam and sent us home with oral of that same med.

Tuesday, today, Garney's front legs are totally useless, he falls over frontwards when he does try to stand. He's not interested in going to his food bowl but when I took it to him, he did eat some. Same with water. I've been using a syringe which he takes but he cannot raise his head enough to actually eat or drink. He cannot get up enough to move around and he tries to scoot using his back legs but they are very weak too.

I did get a litter box for him and he used it for urine but still has not had a BM. Course, he's not eating more than a couple of tablespoons. Now, tonight, he cannot sit to use the box and I'm afraid he's going to die. It's as if he is paralyzed in the legs. He moves his tail and head.

Could he be having a reaction to the convenia?? Sorry this is so long...I just wanted to get all 6 days in. He was OK except for the abcessed bite wound which was treated, and is still healing really well. Started getting shakey on Saturday. He walked at first like he was a staggering drunk!! Now can't walk at all.
Old February 17th, 2010, 04:03 PM

garneycat- a quick welcome here...but you need to get Garney to a Vet ASAP - those symptoms are very serious and no one here can diagnose what's going on. One of the reactions that's been noticed lately after this drug's use is an onset of anemia - and, that's life-threatening..

If he were my cat, I'd get him to an emergency clinic immediately.

Again, if I were in your position, I wouldn't take him to the same Vet - here's why: there has apparently been much discussion on the Vets' discussion forums over the last several months about severe, adverse reactions to this drug - one would think that any Vet worth his/her weight would, by now, be aware at least of the potential and, if nothing else, at least caution clients to be alert for symptoms.....

My suggestions are either ER or to a feline-only practice - and as quickly as possible.

Remember - this drug is designed to remain in the system for two weeks+.....

Here is a link to a reference to those Vet discussions http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2107
Old February 17th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Garneycat,I am so very sorry for what has happened with your cat,I have learned one thing for sure,my cats will never get injected with Convenia,there seems to be one horror-story after the other.
I your kitty recovers
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Rustycat and Chico--thanks to both of you for your kind words.

I must not have been clear in my original post, but Garney was taken back to the vet on Monday, 2-15. That's when the blood in the urine was found.

I made the initial post here on Tuesday night as he was getting worse.

On Wednesday morning, I took him to another vet who did a complete blood workup. It appears he has leukemia, has had it for a long time apparently and the cancer has spread through the blood to his brain.
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,I am so sorry
Old February 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garneycat View Post
...It appears he has leukemia, has had it for a long time apparently and the cancer has spread through the blood to his brain.
Some clarification is needed here......Feline Leukemia is not a type of feline cancer (Leukemia in humans is considered blood cancer). Feline Leukemia is a bit of a misnomen....it's actually a virus which attacks the immune system and could therefore weaken resistance to cancer occurrence.

I am curious about your reference to Garney's brain......the only way to diagnose a brain tumor is through some form of imaging (x-ray/scan)....was this done? On what basis was any connection to his brain made?

I have no idea whether/not Garney will be able to pull through all this. It would certainly require a skilled, knowledgable and committed Vet (and, perhaps substantial resources).

There is one point I'd like to make, however....many Vets consider a diagnosis of Feline Leukemia (FeLV) as a license to euthanize the cat. The fact is, however, that while FeLV is not curable, it can most often be successfully managed, and is considered a chronic condition (as is diabetes). If you are able and willing to pursue treatment for him, I would strongly urge you to join an online group of other people with FeLV cats - those people's collective knowledge and experience often far outstrips that of most "ordinary" Veterinarians. You will find those people 24/7/365 right here http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FeLVPositiveCats/

There is an excellent site devoted to FeLV right here http://www.felineleukemia.org/ and the owner of that site also runs a support group which can be found here http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/li...neleukemia.org

I can well relate to some of what you're going through. Five years ago I lost the love of my life to FeLV (combined with my own total ignorance of Internet resources and an incompetent Veterinarian)...this was a cat who appeared completely healthy and who suddenly collapsed due to the anemia's progression.. I firmly believe, knowing what I do today that, had I availed of the existing resources back then and insisted on a specific course of treatment, he would not have passed before his time.

I hope you'll keep us posted.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:20 AM

convenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamsicle'sMom View Post
My cat was given a dose of Convenia last Tuesday for a cold. By last Wednesday night he was mouth breathing and dead by Thursday morning. I've cried for a week and just checked the vet's receipt to learn what exactly he was given. Convenia is for skin infections, not a respiratory infection. I think he went into a severe reaction from it. I read about Convenia's contraindications ans side effects. One of them is anaphylaxis.

I intend to go to the vet and let them get an earful from me. Not only was the cat killed, but I paid them $154 for that. The I paid another $137 to have him cremated thru that same vet's office. Not only have I been ripped off, but he's DEAD and I can't stop crying. And my birthday is tomorrow - as if it can't get more pitiful...I'm using the anger for energy.

By the way, I'm in DE and this is from VCA in Glasgow. Watch out.
I' so sorry to hear about your cat. I have a very similar story. My cat was diagnosed with dermatitis. He was given and injection of Convenia and Depo he developed breathing problems and tremors 2 hours after. He seemed comatosed and couldn't eat although he was drinking loads. Took him back to the vet next day and they did a blood test but with the injections in his system it came back inconclusive. Seven days after the Convenia he had to be put to sleep because of an odema and enlarged heart. He was so weak it wa pitiful. The Pathology report also said he was severely anaemic. The anaemia seemed to have developed very quickly because he was not anaemic 2 days before the injections as he was examined by the vet. I suspect Convenia may have contributed to his decline so please be very careful and avoid any injections if at all possible. I have lost a very lovely cat and I have been crying every day for a couple of months now. I'll never be the same again.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Purplerain,I am so very sorrywhat a terrible experience,I will make sure my cats never gets Convenia.
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:38 PM

i took my cat to the vet last thursday because she was showing signs of another UTI. the doctor suggested this awesome sounding alternative to skinned forearms that resulted from a week or two of trying to mash gooey half-digested pills into my poor suffering kitty. he said with one shot, everything would be fixed.
well, the problem was solved. unfortunately i woke up to a lifeless lump laying in the corner of my dining room.

she was otherwise healthy and had a full check up the day before.

take from it what you will, but i doubt i'll choose the "easy way out" next time.
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss, BigBob

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,I am so sorry
Why is this happening,do the vets not communicate with each other,it is not the first time this happens
Old April 25th, 2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
i took my cat to the vet last thursday because she was showing signs of another UTI. the doctor suggested this awesome sounding alternative to skinned forearms that resulted from a week or two of trying to mash gooey half-digested pills into my poor suffering kitty. he said with one shot, everything would be fixed.
well, the problem was solved. unfortunately i woke up to a lifeless lump laying in the corner of my dining room.

she was otherwise healthy and had a full check up the day before.

take from it what you will, but i doubt i'll choose the "easy way out" next time.

I am so very sorry to hear about your cat. If your cat was healthy otherwise then it is suspected the injection could have had an adverse reaction. Have you had a post mortem done? I think you and your vet should report it to the drug company and/or to DEFRA.
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Unhappy Bad reaction--diabetes

I am sorry to read these sad stories about covenia. Mine is not so tragic but it breaks my heart anyway. My ten year old male cat, Charley, had a respiratory infection and I took him to the vet in February. The vet told me about covenia, extolled its virtues and said it has no side effects. I told him to go ahead with it. Charley's infection didn't clear up and he started drinking huge amounts of water and losing weight. I took him back to the same vet and he told me Charley was losing weight and drinking water because he had a sore throat. I asked the vet about diabetes and he said Charley didn't have it. Foolishly, I let the vet give Charley another shot. Charley's infection improved but he continued to lose weight and drinking a lot of water. I did everything I could to tempt him to eat, buying him all sorts of wet food, etc. My other pets were happy with the leftovers. I called another vet, who came out to my home to see Charley. His immediate diagnosis was borderline diabetes. He didn't think Charley had leukemia or cancer but he didn't want to take a blood test because Charley's health was so fragile. This vet made a good point. Why give a relatively untried antibiotic when the others work fine? He gave Charley a shot of penicillin and some oral amoxicilin. He recommended starting Charley on low doses of insulin but was willing to try him on glipizide. Charley continues to improve, he is returning to his old self. I truly believe that covenia triggered the diabetes. Like several other people have posted, it takes weeks to get out of the cat's system. Maybe Charley is improving because his body has finally got rid of it all. I hope he comes out of the diabetes. It is possible.
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyshalle View Post
He recommended starting Charley on low doses of insulin but was willing to try him on glipizide.
Glipizide is actually not a great choice for treating feline diabetes. It further stresses an already stressed pancreas by forcing it to work harder, often burning it out beyond repair. Plus, it can cause liver damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyshalle View Post
I hope he comes out of the diabetes. It is possible.
If Charly truly does have diabetes, a low-carb wet food diet and insulin injections are really the best bet for achieving remission. What does he eat now? How long has he been on glipizide? Do you home-test his blood glucose levels?

Old May 16th, 2010, 04:03 AM

Why has the thread about Convenia been locked?

QUOTE=sugarcatmom;915526]Glipizide is actually not a great choice for treating feline diabetes. It further stresses an already stressed pancreas by forcing it to work harder, often burning it out beyond repair. Plus, it can cause liver damage.

If Charly truly does have diabetes, a low-carb wet food diet and insulin injections are really the best bet for achieving remission. What does he eat now? How long has he been on glipizide? Do you home-test his blood glucose levels?[/QUOTE]
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM

purplerain- you probably believe that your attempt to post today was successful....however, for some reason it appeared as gobbly-gook!

Hopefully this will bring you back to try again!