Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 13th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Hollyhocks??

Okay, I think these pics loaded. The first two are hollyhocks if I am to believe what I'm told. My neighbour planted them in my garden but doesn't speak English and couldn't tell me what I was going to get. The black one is actually a really deep purple I believe, and the red one reminds me of the paper flowers we used to make for wedding cards. The large yellow flower is from a cactus we have, and the flower is about the size of a soup bowl. Right now I have about 15 buds waiting to bloom out.
Oops, sorry they're so big!!
Attached Images

Old July 13th, 2009, 02:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

omd, that cactus bloom is beautiful!! Will all the buds open at once, or do they open one at a time? Holy catz! That's an awesome flower!

And I do believe those are hollyhocks. A friend of mine grows them - her 'black' one died, though, so she's going to be envious when I send her the link to this thread. I've always loved hollyhocks--very nostalgic--sort of the quintessential 'Old English Cottage Garden' type flower, and I remember them around the neighborhood I grew up in.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I love hollyhocks and yep, thats them, the old wives tale is that if you have hollyhocks your daughter will be an old maid *L* I love the cactus bloom!!!!
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Love that burgandy hollyhock! And the double one..... Beautiful!! They are great self seeders. You will probably end up with more than you want in another year or so. If you ever feel inclined to share seeds...... I would love the double red one!!
The cactus flower is really neat.
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Skylar's Farm

The dark is a single hollyhock, the red is a double hollyhock. NICE.
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Skylar's Farm

14+ and I posted at the same time.
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys. 14+ I will ask my neighbour how to collect the seeds. I am all for sharing. I only have one of the double red one.

HRP - the cactus will bloom over a period of about two weeks. Strangely (to me) they open at night, and I can always tell when one has opened because the living room smells very strongly when they do. Sadly the blooms only last about 2 - 3 days before they wilt right down. But when it's in full bloom it's stunning. I really do need to go to the garden centre and find out the name of this cactus again, I can't remember it anymore.

Melinda, good thing I only have a son! Bina, thanks for the info, I've never had hollyhocks before. First time for everything.

My neighbour comes over and plants stuff and we just wait to see what we get. We have always had a more formal looking (ie tidy) garden with mostly roses and dahlia's (sp??). He has my garden bursting with all kinds of things now. It's hard to get used to, and my roses are getting lost in the mix...
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Half Way To Crazy

breath taking pictures!!!! WOW

I love the Black/Burgandy one and the yellow one... ok I love the red one too
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Skylar's Farm

I used to collect the seeds in the fall after a few good dry days.
Just clip off the dried buds and pop them into a zip loc baggie with a label.
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You can tell when Hollyhock seeds are ready. The seed head bursts open. Only thing is the seeds don't always come true. I have gotten black seeds before and ended up with a red hollyhock.
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM
150% PRO S/N

These are a few of mine from this year. Not a great pic. This is an in between year for them. They should be thicker next year.
Attached Images

Old July 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Well 14+, I only have one double red, so I can't promise seeds to everyone, but if I can get them I'll let you know. Do these only flower every other year??
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Well 14+, I only have one double red, so I can't promise seeds to everyone, but if I can get them I'll let you know. Do these only flower every other year??
Yes, they usually drop enough seed though that you end up with lots of plants every year once they are established. It's funny you say you only have one plant. By the end of the year you will be amazed at the number of seeds one plant will give you!
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Skylar's Farm

Sometimes there is a higher success rate if the seeds are manually collected in the fall and then planted in grow pots in the spring as opposed to letting them self seed on their own. We have alot of chipmunks and critters who steal the seeds.
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Well fortunately we have a greenhouse so we can sow the seeds along with the 500 tomato plants hubby does every year. We have our own grow-op, but it's not for profit sadly. He gives the seedlings away to any and all.