Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Engaged!

As I mentioned in my Happy New Years post, my oldest son Greg popped the question to his girlfriend on Christmas. She answered with a resounding YES!

Ok so I freely admit that until now, I have never really liked any of the girls he has dated.
One girl, his highschool sweetheart (although I never thought of her as a sweetheart),had an on again off again kind of relationship over the course of 5-6 years.
Many times my husband and I would talk about how we would feel if he asked her to marry him, neither of us were to keen on the idea.
It wasn't that she was a horrible person, but she was a very controlling, demanding, insecure young lady.
It was her family that scared the heck outta us the most, probably the most dysfunctional group of people I have ever met. The thought of somehow being related to them just sent shivers down my spine. They are the type of people that "THRIVE" on drama.
Other girls he dated, well lets just say they lacked in making a good first impression.
Then a few months ago, he showed up one evening with this girl whom I have never heard of or about.
She seemed nice enough, friendly, outgoing, sense of humor, articulate,very attractive, and seems to have her life in good order.
But the question remained, was she good enough for my son.
That evening it was disclosed that they had been dating for quite some time, almost 10 months.
When my son and I were alone, I asked him why he kept this relationship a secret, he said he wanted to be sure about their relationship before he told anyone.
Over the past few months, I have gotten to know her quite well, we spend a lot of time together. I must say, I absolutely adore this young woman.
I was surprised to learn that she is actually almost 4 years older than my son, not that it matters, but it surprised me just the same.
We feel blessed that this young lady will become a part of our family, she is simply wonderful.
They are planning a Spring 2010 wedding, however I have a feeling they won't wait that long.
When he asked her father for his blessing (which was on the way to my sons MRI for a ripped ACL), her father looked at him and said "I was wondering when you were going to get around to asking me that question".
Her family loves him, and are as excited about this union as we are.

As for the ex (highschool sweetheart), well since she found out about the engagement, she has been texting him several times a day, even after he requested repeatedly that she move on and stop texting. My future daughter inlaw isn't the jealous type, and she admits she feels bad for this girl because my son was her first love. She believes that at some point this person will get the hint and finally move on with her life. I certainly hope so, and the sooner the better!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A union both families approve of !

congratulations to both of the lovebugs!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Woohoo!! Congrats LMPG, to you and your family!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM

Congratulations on the engagement. You must remember that people don't choose their family members. My two daughters-in-law are very nice, but their families are not. I have accepted that. In today's world mothers of daughters seem to need to have a close relationship with their daughters, (which is good), but at any cost??? Sorry, I don't agree! My sons knew that no female will ever sleep here in our house in the same bed. The mothers of the future wives welcomed my sons into their daughter's beds in their homes. (????) Which my sons agreed to. I don't know what happened to the moral upbringing they got at home? Sorry I'm very oldfashioned and don't agree with this type of arrangemnt. Does anyone have any shame today? My husband and friends all agree with me. My sons married these girls anyway. Althought I am not judging the females, I am also judging my sons. I play fair!!!!! One girlfriend (now wife) lives in the U.S. and he never mentioned that this was going on. We found out about it by chance when we first met her parents. And of course I made a scene!!! If you are not ashamed to do it, why not tell your parents about it? He was hiding stuff from us, maybe because of fear of us rejecting her. He knows that I'm not like that.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Congrats to the happy couple.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
-

Congratulations !!!!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

congrats!!!

I know what u mean about not liking past gfs...my parents/bros and I have been there with my eldest bro b4 he finally found the right one

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM

Congrats!

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara View Post
Congratulations on the engagement. You must remember that people don't choose their family members. My two daughters-in-law are very nice, but their families are not. I have accepted that. In today's world mothers of daughters seem to need to have a close relationship with their daughters, (which is good), but at any cost??? Sorry, I don't agree! My sons knew that no female will ever sleep here in our house in the same bed. The mothers of the future wives welcomed my sons into their daughter's beds in their homes. (????) Which my sons agreed to. I don't know what happened to the moral upbringing they got at home? Sorry I'm very oldfashioned and don't agree with this type of arrangemnt. Does anyone have any shame today? My husband and friends all agree with me. My sons married these girls anyway. Althought I am not judging the females, I am also judging my sons. I play fair!!!!! One girlfriend (now wife) lives in the U.S. and he never mentioned that this was going on. We found out about it by chance when we first met her parents. And of course I made a scene!!! If you are not ashamed to do it, why not tell your parents about it? He was hiding stuff from us, maybe because of fear of us rejecting her. He knows that I'm not like that.

Kiara,
I too am old fashioned, my boys were not allowed to have girls sleep over in my house. My son knows that if he and his fiance were to stay here for the night, the same rule applies. I guess I am old fashioned that way too.
The ex I was referring to with the dysfunctional family (yes I know ppl don't choose their family) well they were raised by their grandparents, and she has a younger sister, whom the grandmother allowed to sleep over at her boyfriends house (his parents were fine with it too). Well she just turned 18 and has just given birth to her second child with this young man. The funny thing is, everyone involved was shocked and surprised and of course upset that it happened the first time, the second time they cursed them out asking how they could let this happen again.

Thank you to everyone for the posts of congrats