Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old November 11th, 2010, 04:18 PM

my cat is a peacekeeper- and i hate it

Puti ("white" in Filipino) is my four year old, house trained, sweet cat. My working companion since i was in college.

I definitely have no problem with him regarding house issues since he behaves really well. He knows where to eat and dines neatly there, we knows where he out to sleep in the evening but can certainly be just on any clean rag during day time for his nap. When it comes to going potty, he knows where is toilet is.

He loves being around people and even being around other cats. It is just that, other cats do not like him, despite of the sweet soul he is. he'd love being in the backyard during early evenings and these really sick rambunctious cats would come over and mess with him.

Puti is a peacekeeper i figure that each times he gets in a fight, he just won't fight back or even run away at all. I was supposed to bathe him a week ago, when i started running my hands on his fur, i felt several on the least 2-inch lacerations on his limbs, torso and even a nick on his upper lip.

The last one that almost made my pull my air-guns trigger on a those rambunctious cats was puti's swollen foreleg. He was bleeding when he went inside and the leg was just chunky-swollen. I was near tears and i really pitied him. I feel awfully sorry for him. After a week, swelling subsided and he is back on the yard.

I wish i could just teach him some karate!

It hurts my family seeing him hurting and scraped and lacerated. I do not want to lock him up!

What can i actually do?
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You could, and should, keep him indoors. If he must be outside he should be out with you on a harness/leash or in an enclosed area where other cats can't get to him but he can still enjoy the outdoors. It is very very doable.
It is not a good thing that he is being beaten up. Every single scratch/bite, laceration he gets could bring him one step closer to being dead. Seriously. You are saying the cats that fight with him are sickly looking? What diseases do they carry? If you don't know you should never allow your cat to play/fight with them. There are so many deadly diseases out there he risks his life every time he is in a fight. Being a "peacekeeper" doesn't matter. He would take the same risks even if he were a scrapper.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Kitty pimp

I can sympathise I had a cat like that once If you play with him inside he might adjust to being in doors.. other than that go out side with him when you can And yes getting bit by a feral cat can lead to some serious infections, make at least sure he is up to date on vaccinations
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Doggie Wench

You've received great advice, iamhappy. Keeping him indoors when you can not supervise outside is not locking him up, it's keeping him safe. Is he neutered by any chance?
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, please keep him inside, this is not fair to him and one day, he is going to get in a fight bad enough that infections and abcesses will develop, or he could loose an eye . Would you knowingly put your young child outside to get beat up? Your cat should be treated the same way

There is a breed of cats called Ragdolls and it is said that they lack an aggressive gene and do not have a tendency to fight back. My Jasper is exactly like that. Fortunately, he has all girl kitties that he lives with so there is no male competition. It is quite possible that somewhere in your kitty's background there is a cat that is related to the Ragdoll gene that make them so passive.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM

Everyone,
thanks for feeling for me and puti. He is fine now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
There is a breed of cats called Ragdolls and it is said that they lack an aggressive gene and do not have a tendency to fight back.
Does Ragdolls behave this way around cats alone? or with other animals as well like dogs? We just had a recent addition to the family- a really playful puppy named Stan. Whenever he'd bark at puti (i guess for a play) or whenever he'd try getting on puti's way, puti would fiercely meow at him. Puti even reached out a retracted paw at his face! Poor Stan ended up whimpering, but when Stan does him nothing, he'd just sit by himself in the living room.