Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 26th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Darby chewing cords..

Hi

I'm upset, though that isn't really the right word. I'm not angry either, maybe sad is a better word. With the other stuff happening right now I guess I'm just a bit overwhelmed? as I know this is going to cost us money to get this stuff replaced or fixed.

I caught Darby chewing a vacumn cleaner cord in the fall and I mean she had destroyed it! So I went around to all the vacumn cleaners, 3; and sprayed that bad tasting stuff on them. I also sprayed the steam cleaner too as I found bite marks in that cord.

Well yesterday I found the upholstery attachment to the steam cleaner almost bitten right thru..destroyed! This morning I was checking out the newer vacumn and the cord has been chewed on again. So I wrapped it with a blanket. The problem is that we have no closets these things can fit in and I just don't know what to do.

Darby is the cat that always is eating and eating until she throws up! It is like it is a complusion. She is a little cat but, meaning her body is short, but she is overweight so I have been cutting back on food and I'm wondering if that is why she has started to eat at the cords? Instead of giving the cats their own dishes I use one dish so there is not much food left over when everyone has their fill. So if Darby goes back to eat there isn't enough for her to make her sick. I have been doing this since late summer early fall I guess.

I have never seen her eating cords before but that doesn't mean she hasn't been. I remember that Bundunk likes to chew on things too...called Picta? I think. Could Draby have that? Or could she just be looking for food?

She was on the street for a few weeks so maybe she is scared there won't always be food for her?

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Tundra....can you wrap tin foil around the cords? this may help

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It's possible that Darby has Pica. There is a covering you can get to put over the cords but I don't know if that would work with a vacuum cord. If she continues maybe you can take her to the vet for a checkup? There may be an underlying illness that is making her chew things.

Here's some info on Pica and some suggestions on trying to help it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Cats-fro...s-and-Chargers

http://cats.about.com/cs/behavior2/a/chewing.htm

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh gee...... Shay that is a GREAT Idea!!

I put some plastic tablecloths over them and tied them with string. was thinking about taking out 2 shelves in the linen closet, but I would lose so much space doing that.

But tin foil might be easier to get at the vacumning. But I guess I'd have to get the bite marks fixed first eh? Unless I want a cat with really curly hair!

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:48 PM
-

Don't your vacuum cleaner cords retract so they are inside when not in use?
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM
-

The products I suggested to Onster were Chew Safe and Critter Cord. Here is the review that she did about them .....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52218
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Senior Contributor

rainbow, only one of the vacumn cords is suppose to retract but no longer does.

I will check that link out...thanks. *S*

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:01 PM

My cats are obsessed with cords. My husband has covered our cords with this:

split loom tubing

They're not the most attractive thing, and they don't work all that well (the cats still sometimes chew through them), but it's the best we've come up with. I just read onster's review and I'll look into those clear cord covers - that may be a good idea for us in the living room. My cats DESTROYED my Apple laptop cord - my husband had to buy me a new one.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has a kitty with a craving for vacuum cords! My little boy is obsessed with vacuum cords in particular - it's like he goes into a little kitty trance and can't help himself, even if I'm watching him and he knows he'll get into trouble! He just crawled into my lap and is looking at the computer - he must know I'm talking about him. He's also obsessed with leather...he'll be asleep with me in bed when my husband gets dressed for work, and the second my husband's leather belt hits the bed, my kitty raises his head and leans over to have a bite. Whenever we have guests they have to hide their leather shoes/bags/briefcases in the guest room or else my little boy will devour them! His sister is obsessed with plastic - we can't even have a shower curtain liner in the guest bathroom or else she'll eat it! If she hears the crinkle of plastic she comes running.

The upside is that we're forced to keep our home very neat and kitty-proofed - they keep us on our toes!
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Senior Contributor

MissPurryJess thanks for the link. How long are they? I couldn't find any mention of length?

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:08 AM
Senior Contributor

14+ thanks for the links. Sorry I missed that post so I just finished checking them out!

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I called chewsafe yesterday and the product is not available...they said they are still working on but are hoping it will be in a month.

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
MissPurryJess thanks for the link. How long are they? I couldn't find any mention of length?
Hi Tundra_Queen - My husband gets them from Home Depot or Loew's (were in the US), he said they're about $4 for a roll that holds 10 feet of tubing. If you have a home improvement store near you and ask them for split loom tubing (in the electrical dept.), they should be able to show you the rolls of it. Like I said it's not ideal - but it's very inexpensive and is better than nothing.