Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 8th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Worst walk ever!!!

Today has been the first time in a long time, that I have been able to bring Cano on a walk. I feel horrible that is has been so long. Well, needless to say, he is back at point A. All he did the entire time was run around like he has never been outside before. I got sick of it after about 5 minutes, and just grabbed ahold of his harness instead, and gave him no leway at all, or else he would have knocked me off my feet. It took us 20 minutes to go around 1 block, because I was constantly correcting him. I definately don't think I will be taking him on another walk anytime soon. With my luck, I'd go into labor during the walk!! With that said, I am telling hubby that we are getting him a pinch collar, and retraining him with that. There is no way I will be able to train him again, with as strong as he is now.
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog gets a little antsy if she has not had good hard exercise for a couple of days. This is normal and all that energy has to go somewhere.

Getting a pinch collar won't help if your dog is not getting enough walks and exercise. That need must be taken care of first.

Dog training has nothing to do with strength. If it did, no one would ever be able to train Mastiffs or other large and powerful breeds. My 75 lb dog is stronger than I am, so I would'nt try and outmuscle her!
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

What would be the best way to retrain him. I haven't been able to take him out in over a month, because right now, it is the rainy season here, and if it isn't rainy, it is cloudy and cold. I feel so bad that he hasn't been out in such a long time. James would walk him daily, if he got home before dark, and the weekends we always have tons of things to do, so walking him then is kinda hard sometimes too. Is there a product out there that would make him so he doesn't pull, and I would be able to take him on his walks, without worrying about getting knocked off my feet? The rainy season is finally ending, and I want to be able to start taking him on walks again.
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

It's cold there? Gets pretty darn cold here too - down to minus 30 - but I can't not walk my dog for 10 months a year due to cold. I have to put a coat and boots on her, and a ton of clothes on myself, but there is no alternative.

Put on a raincoat and boots and get a raincoat for your dog and off you go. Dogs must go out even if it's raining or miserable. That is one of the downsides to owning a dog.

If I didn't walk my dog for over a month, she would be bouncing off the walls. Dogs need to get out and get exercise and stimulation and there is no product to take the place of that. You dog will not be able to calmly concentrate on training if he is frustrated, bored and full of pent up energy.

You could try a treadmill, but even so, dogs need to get out and see, smell and hear new things just as we do.
Old December 8th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Is a pinch collar the same as a choke collar? Why not try a "Gentle Leader" or a "Halti" I walked 2 big dogs, 80 and 50 lbs, 36 weeks pregnant with twins---no problem.

(I say that--not so you risk your health, nor am I the world's bigest martyr, it's just that these gentle leaders are REALLY GREAT and REALLY work well)
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:11 PM
AmInaL

I bought a harness at Wal-Mart for 13 bucks, it loops through the collar, around the legs and through a hoop at the collar, when the dog pulls, the harness tightens around the front legs. I used this for a bit, now Toby rarely pulls, even without the harness. Haltis and Gentle Leaders are good, so I hear, but I had luck with the harness.
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:24 PM
banned user

my opinion only, but halti's work great. wouldn't be without one
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

It actually is only cold if it is cloudy. Get's cold enough to frost then. But other than that, on days like today, it is t-shirt weather. I think what I will have to do is start walking to the end of the block and back, until he walks like he did before. Today I nearly died taking him out. He has gotten so strong!!! I think I will also try to wear him out a little, before we go for a walk. He wouldn't be as interested in pulling if he's already tired out. If this doesn't work, maybe a gentle leader will be used to help train him easier.

I just don't want to be half a mile from home, and go into labor, especially when it can happen any day now.
Old December 9th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I REALLY have to agree with LR.

If I didn't get out in a month I think I would go nuts.The problem I find is that just because it's cold,raining,or snowing,people do use that as a way of not taking their dogs out for walks.That's wrong.They still need to get out and go for walks.They need their exercise or they will go all rangy.When it's really cold,you don't need to go out for a long walk.

When I was pregnant I still made sure my previous GSD still went out for his walks.When it was really cold,I made the walk shorter.But I made sure he got his walks everyday.

I take it you are due any day now?Can I suggest that someone else take the dog for a walk?Since you are close to having your baby,I think it would be a better idea if someone else did this for you.Who will be walking the dog one you have the baby?
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with LR & Mona!!! And all the people who promoted gentle leaders!! Brick was WAY too strong for me, so we got him one, and it helped 100%. It was easier and more enjoyable for me to walk him!! Once we got him basic obedience lessons, he doesn't need it ! It could be a God send for you right now!

If you aren't walking him because you are pregnant, then I agree with Mona - you NEED to get someone else in there to walk the dog! What's the point of having a dog if you aren't going to walk him?? Are your husband's legs broken? Why can't he take the dog??

I grew up with small dogs all my life, and we could get away with it for the most part. But now that I have a 75 pound ball of energy - I HAVE to walk him at least twice a day. Our walks are certainly shorter, but at least he is getting out! Bundle up, put on snow pants, a toque (hat - for you Americans!!) and gloves and get someone out there! Good luck!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Senior Contributor

My husband works days, and doesn't come home until well after it is dark. And walking him in the mornings is near impossible, being that he leaves for work at 5 am.
I have taken him for a couple more walk since my last post, and he doesn't pull much anymore, being that we play for a while before I take him for his walks. Plus it has been nice enough where he can spend all the time he wants outside, without getting wet or cold. I am hoping the weather stays nice like it is for a few more weeks. And yes, I am due a week from Friday. But James and I are still going to get a gentle leader, so when we go for walks with the baby, it will be easier. Other than his slight pulling, he is wonderful when out on walks. Thanks everyone for the great advise.
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear it's all working out! Sorry I was a little harsh with you in my last post.....PMS!!! You will really like the gentle leader, I did!!! Heck, if the dog pulls, hook him up to the stroller and let him walk the baby!!! LOL

Good luck with the delivery!!! We'll be waiting to hear news!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I too am glad to hear it's working out.Just a suggestion.But since you are going to be a bit sore and tired after you have the baby,maybe you can get someone to walk him.Hubby can walk him even when he gets home from work.I had my best friend come walk my dog untill I was feeling better.Then I put my daughter in the stroller and took the dog on our walks.

Yes,good luck with the delivery,and keep us posted.
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, James will be taking over walks when I have the baby, especially the first 9 days, being that he won't be at work. After that, I am sure our friend won't mind taking him out for a walk daily. We will be getting a gentle leader as soon as James gets his pay raise next month. So I am happy about that.
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:12 PM

good for you!! Duke is totally used to the Gentle Leader now. We don't use it all the time, my partner uses the harness. He is much stronger than I am.
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

James got knocked off his feet from Cano when we walked him a couple days ago. And he works out 3 days a week! I just don't know where Cano got all his strenght from, so fast! He's onl 10 1/2 months and stronger than us, almost. It's a good thing he doesn't have a prey drive, really. LOL.