Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old March 31st, 2007, 11:44 AM

Old mouse - going downhill

Hello all,

I have a field mouse that is 2.5 years old and starting to look it.

I found her in a barn when she was still pink and had her eyes closed but because I'm a sucker (haha), I took her home, "nursed" her through a syringe for a few weeks, and here we are, 2.5 years later!

Well, the last few months she started using losing some hair on her back and hind legs but I chalked that up to her getting upset when I would leave for weeks at a time on business (my brother was looking after her but he's not her "mom" ) because it would seem to get better if I was home for a while.

But the last few weeks, she seems to have started really going downhill. She's still eating and drinking well but she's walking funny with her hind legs (like she can't quite control them properly), her genital area looks swollen, and she's a bit shaky/breathing more laboured than usual.

My mom says she reminds her of when my 21 year old cat went into kidney failure. There's a good chance it could be that but I just wanted to get some other opinions. I do realize that she is a very old mouse and there might not be much I can do but I just don't want her to be in any pain.

Thanks so much!
Laura (and Radish)
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:56 AM

It's obvious that you care about your little mouse, maybe you should call your vet to see if they can help, or if they can refer you to a vet that can.
I really don't have any other advice that i can give as I've never owned a mouse before.

Good luck
Old April 2nd, 2007, 01:24 AM

Hi, Radish... How is she doing today?

I've had rats and mice. It's very sad how short their lives are. They can give us so much in such a little time, though.

I have had rats rally after similar symptoms, but not always. Good luck to your girl. I am sure that she knows how lucky she was to have you.
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Hello all,

I know it's been a while but I thought I'd just write to update that sadly, little Radish passed away April 12 at age 2 and a half. She lived a long, healthy life and was happy, eating, and pain free (as far as I could tell?) until the end. The day before she died, she ran around on me for almost an hour as happy as can be. She just fell asleep in her house which is the best way I could hope for. She is now buried in my backyard and we are going to plant a sunflower there because sunflower seeds were her favourite treat. It's amazing how attached you can get to a little rodent!

Thanks everyone,
Laura
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm sorry to hear about Radish. I get attached to all the little critters, too. We had a white-footed mouse nest under the hood to the LP tank. By the end of the winter, we had the guy who came to fill the tank trained--he was very careful not to disturb the mice's home. They're so cute.

Two and a half is a very long life for a mouse. Radish knew how loved she was Doesn't matter how small they are--they're all special if you love them

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:56 AM
Queen

Aww little Raddish. I'm all teary eyed reading this:sad: .
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:47 PM

Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:50 PM
-

Sorry to hear about little Radish. The sunflowers for her is a very nice idea. :love:
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Remembering Lukka

So sorry to hear about little Radish

May Radish rest in peace
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Awe...thanks so much, everyone. I'm getting a little teary eyed at the wonderful responses and thinking about her again.

hazelrunpack - most people think I'm crazy for saving the little creatures but they're just so darn cute. That's awesome that your guy didn't disturb your nest.