Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 30th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Neoplasene Treatment in Toronto?

Hello Everyone,
It's my first time here and my first post.
Need your help urgently!!
My Rotti-mix was diagnosed with cancer in his left nasal. After some research on the internet, I found that there is an alternative treatment besides radiation, surgery or chemotherapy. Does anyone know where this treatment is offered in Toronto or GTA or anywhere else besides the States? Any info is appreciated! Thank you in advance! Sue
Old April 30th, 2010, 12:57 PM
-

welcome to the board and I'm sorry to hear about your woofer.

With respect, did you look at the scholarly articles (actual science) in journals or just the testimonials to determine actual efficacy in cancer treatment? I also don't think it can be used to treat a nasal tumour ~ it's a salve.
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

There is an injectible, too, MMM...if the tumor can be reached, it might be treatable that way. But I don't know where you can have it done in Canada.

Don't know if you've seen these threads, mydoggies:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40993

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65888

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39807

Initial reports from some of the people trying the new treatment were positive, but we had very few people come back with final results, so it's hard to tell what the final outcome was.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this

All the best for you and your dog!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:08 PM
-

I've seen them thx Hazel.

As you know I am a proponent of complimentary medicines. I am not of this one. And if anyone can find me a scientific/ medical journal article which demonstrates it's efficacy ... There aren't any. Against it use ? Plenty?

And if anyone is considering neoplasene please read this first: http://www.casewatch.org/board/med/march/march.shtml

Last edited by mummummum; April 30th, 2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: I'm p*ssd off
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I knew you'd seen them, MMM, and I wasn't supporting the treatment, just offering the OP what little info we had on neoplasene on the board. Frankly, anyone reading the threads is likely to think twice after hearing and seeing the descriptions of what happens, especially given the fact that we received so little 'final result' info.

I hadn't heard that someone had tried neoplasene in humans! Were charges filed against the non-MD who was giving the treatments? Or just the one for the doctor who was prescribing the palliative treatments after the fact?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:58 AM
-

I appreciate that Hazel. I just think a little judicious reading of the threads themselves would reveal that all the posters (I believe) claiming to have had a "miracle cure" are fly-by-nights who became members, posted about their miracles and were never heard from again. Anyone lurking here, particularly if they are emotionally distraught and desperate to hear anything other than what their oncologist is telling them, will not necessarily have that insight. And, desperation does strange things to the brain's ability to parse spin from real information, to discern false from flim-flam.

Given that anyone with cancer or anyone with a pet or loved one with cancer would do anything in their desperation to find a cure I think it behooves those of us with a modicum of ability to interpret the science behind claims such as these to do so when asked. And with that done, or not done as is the case here owing to the absence of science, to then act responsibly by refusing to lend any credence to a "miracle cure" where: no science exists to support even the remotest possibility of it's efficacy; and where the use of this "miracle cure" appears to be lethal or at the very least likely to cause physical harm and permanent damage; and where it seems apparent that those purporting to have found a miracle cure for a life threatening disease may be the snake oil salesmen themselves.

In my mind, charlatans who prey upon the desperation of people who are dying or have loved ones who are dying are the most despicable of parasites and I certainly won't be helping them in any overt way or, in a way that may be, rightly or wrongly, interpreted as support.

My
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

MMM, I appreciate your feelings, and I'm not going to turn this into an argument, especially as I happen to agree that this one is likely snake oil, just on the basis of non-results. My feeling is that no vet is going to be willing to even attempt neoplasene in an area as confined and sensitive as a nasal passage.

However, it's not my decision to make, nor is it yours--it's mydoggies--and since I have no personal knowledge of the treatment (other than the threads here) and my background does not allow me to make judgement about the treatment, all I can do is offer the threads that deal with it on the board, none of which ever showed a case of cure

This is not an easy therapy to get, if it's even being offered anymore. It must be administered in conjuction with a qualified vet, if you can find one that is willing to attempt it. Giving the OP as much information as she can get will at least allow her to ask the proper questions.

Sorry if that disappointed you, MMM.

My best wishes to you and your dog, Sue. It's a tough time for you, I know, having been there myself We do have some threads that deal with nasal cancer, but they'll offer you no comfort, either, I'm afraid. For what it's worth, here's one of them: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44407

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Old May 1st, 2010, 09:03 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

since the thread has gone waaaaay off topic,,i'm going to suggest to the OP that they discuss neoplasene with their vet or get a referal to a doggie oncologist.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:47 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydoggies View Post
Does anyone know where this treatment is offered in Toronto or GTA or anywhere else besides the States?
You have to call vets to find out. I'll tell you here , in Quebec , no vets use it. I contacted Buck Mountains about it , while researching about neoplasene. The response I got from them , and from what I read elsewhere , made me keep away from that stuff.

the only "good things" I heard was from the company that makes the neoplasene , makes you think doesn't it ?
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM

I recently lost my 9.5 year old Bouvier to nasal cancer. He was officially diagnosed about 10 months ago, but had been showing symptoms for about 18 months prior (vet thought it was a sinus infection). He was treated with clindamycin and Metacam, and did very well for those last 10 months.

There is forum on canine nasal cancer that is worth checking out:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...cancer-71.html
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm sorry for the loss of your Bouvier, Jetstar