Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 5th, 2008, 11:02 PM

Exclamation Sick Little Robin?

Hi everyone
I'm brand new to this website and it looks chalk full of info which is awesome. My issue is that I've found this little robin, his siblings have been out of the nest for about 3 days, and this is the first day he's come out (presumably he fell.. cause he doesn't fly too well.

Overall he seems healthy, makes some chirping sounds and is awfully cute. But, his feet look funny, it looks like his middle "claw/toe" is too long, and kind of gibbled. And really just not proper. He's not standing up on them at all. He just sort of slides around on the floor of the garage.

I don't want to touch him, I'm afraid to scare him too much. I'm sure his momma is around, but I don't know if she'll be able to do much for his feet.

Any thoughts?

I've tried to post a pic but haven't been able to.. I'll try again in a bit.
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:05 PM

links to pics of the birdy!

Here's the link to my pictures of the little birdy
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:05 PM

pics of the birdy

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1635810014
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I can't open facebook photos, so I can't tell if the feet are normal or not. Is it able to perch on anything? If not, there's likely not much you can do for it. Depending on where you live, it's likely illegal for you to keep a wild songbird. Your only option then would be a wildlife rehabilitator in your area.

If it can perch, it's probably just a normal fledgling. Typically, baby birds aren't able to fly well for a couple of days after they've left the nest. The parents look after them and feed them till they've strengthened their wings and learned to look for their own food. If it's a normal fledgling, your best option is to put it outside in a bush or somewhere protected where the parents can find it. Its calls will attract their attention.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:53 PM

Question robin pics (try again)

Okay,
try looking at these pics if they'll work.

uh, it kind of does look like he can perch on that ledge of the box.. but he definitely cannot stand on them.. so I'm not sure what's up.

I don't think there's much I can do. And I'm definitely not interested in keeping him, or bringing him inside.... I have a pet cat, who's not bird friendly..
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:55 PM

Never mind. Can't post the pictures, and I'm giving up on this.

I'll just let him stay in the garage where he is, and then hopefully he'll be fine.
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:03 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is it night where you are? If so, if you have a shoebox and an old dish towel, you can put the towel in the box and put him in there, then turn out the light. He'll be comfy there till morning.

If it's daytime, his parents need to find him to feed him, so you'll have to get him out of the garage...unless the nest was in the garage? Then just leave the door open...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:21 AM

It is night time. (past my bed time for sure.. haha)
I put down a little towel for him to cuddle up in, and hopefully in the morning he'll be found by his mom.
The garage is open, and that's where the nest was, he's not too far from it, basically right below it, so i figure they'll find him okay.

Thanks for your help though!
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope he makes it, Judy! Let us know in the a.m. how he's doing, okay?

Old June 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Smile

Well when I left for work this morning, he was snuggled in the towel and breathing, so he's still alive.

My mom just called me and told me that there's a momma robin bringing him worms (which i'm assuming is his mom).

So I'm not letting my cat outside, and he'll be grumpy about it, but atleast it'll give this little guy a chance
Old June 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's great news! He should be up and about and outta there in a couple days max...