Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old August 10th, 2005, 08:36 AM

dog in heat

hia all! i have an 8 month old bitch and she has come into heat, i also have an un-neuted 11 yr old male in the house. i have reasons to believe that he has mated her but would se still be bleeding if she has concieved???? Is there any way of telling if she has concieved??

Last edited by Trinitie; August 11th, 2005 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Yep! Take her to your vet! You an also talk to your vet about spaying her. An 8 month old dog is a pup herself and far to young to have a babies of her own. You are able to spay a dog if shes pregnant.
Sarah
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Dogs will become pregnant at the end of their heat cycle. The dog will still bleed for a few days after being impregnated. Please do the right thing and have your dog spayed so that no more pups are added to the already growing population.
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Here are 2 helpful sources of info:

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogpregnant.htm
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-57.htm

As per the other posters, and speaking for most of the members on this board, please spay and neuter your pets to help curb the many thousands of unwanted pets (and children of those pets) that end up in shelters and ultimately PTS in whatever city you are writing from.

Thanks.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:43 PM

If she LET him mate (she'll only let it happen at the right time), she was ready and is very likely pregnant. Terrible for such a young dog. What were you thinking?
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:12 PM
-

She isn't finished growing herself and even though she is capable of getting pregnant doesn't mean she should be. This can cause great damage to her so please take her in to have her spayed asap. If you have a city spay/ neuter clinic they may do it as an emergency and bump you ahead of others that are waiting if you were not expecting the cost. Either way this needs to be done now so don't wait. A dogs heat cycle is nearly 3 wks, they usually bleed at the beginning(some longer) and are most likely to get pregnant between the 10-13th day. She will not let the male do anything until she is ready. We would all like to know why these dogs were not fixed before now. Please take her in to the vet. This next bit is for everyone reading this thread that does not fix their pet dog/ cat. It is said everyday but here it is again.

A Note To All To Please Spay/ Neuter your dogs

A note for all those who don't seem to fix (especially the females) for whatever reason, there is a product that looks like a diaper. It is worn by a dog in heat to help prevent unwanted pregnancy. Spay/ Neuter your dogs as the ultimate deterent for unwanted puppies. Unless you are prepared to care for all the puppies for life. If they lose their home are you willing to take all of them back and care for them and all that they will require for life. If you are not prepared to do this then prevent it from happening in the first place. Unfortunately there is really no excuse given that there is a successful way of preventing it. If you love your dogs wouldn't you want to prevent health problems if you could. Getting them fixed will prevent types of cancer (prostate) as well as others.
Old August 11th, 2005, 09:38 AM

This could get ugly, so I'm just letting everyone know:

Do NOT jump to conclusions. Some people are under the impression that you cannot spay a female until a certain age, depending on the breed.

Now why there is a 10 year old male, un-neutered, around an un-spayed female, is beyond me, but it's happened. Let's give him proper advice and move on.

Proper advice is:

Bring your bitch to the vet and have her spayed immediately. A good vet WILL spay a female in the early stages of pregnancy. Some will even spay one that's in the later stages of pregnancy. Seek medical advice without delay! Your dog is far too young to have a litter of pups. She's just a pup herself.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:14 AM

well ur all makin me sound like im thick and i dont no that its not a gd idea to have a un-neuted male n female living together but we have reasons why this is dun! all i was askin was information on heat n how to tell if she is pregnant and all you seem to have done is abuse me! it was just an accident, we dont keep the dogs together, sum1 left the gate open and let them in together! so if ne 1 can give me advice without puttin me in the wrong then pls go ahead!
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:20 AM

If you read through the posts... the majority are offering advice to you. There are even some excellent links. Accidents do happen, ensuring they don't happen again is now your responsibility. This is a pro spay/neuter board so people do get heated when accidents happen.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:27 AM

First, I'm going to state that it isn't too late to get your dog spayed. Please do take your dog to the vet, even if she is pregnant, she will need to see a vet to make sure that she is healthy and her pups are healthy. Either way, she needs to see a vet.

Now, to answer your questions. She can be pregnant and still bleed. Bleeding doesn't stop the moment she conceives, but can continue for a while longer. Signs of pregnancy are: swollen teats, bigger appetite, temperament change (quieter, lazy), weight gain and morning sickness.

Just out of curiousity though, why is the male unaltered and why hasn't she been spayed yet? As stated before, she is a young pup herself and may have a difficult time during delivery. She may not even be a good mother to her pups since she may not know what to do. Are you prepared to have to bottle feed all the puppies every couple of hours, even throughout the night? These are all things to consider.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I would make an appt and have her checked to find out for sure.Then I would make an appt to have her spayed.It is very unsafe for a pup this age to have pups herself.She could have complications during birth which may result in her loosing the pups and you loosing her.I really don't think you want to chance it do you?
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:14 AM

wel thanxs, at least one person answered my question! the reason my male has not been neuted is due to an ilness that he has! the vet has adviced me that it wud not b a gd idea for him to be dun! and my pup has not been dun as i am wantin to breed from her to produce dogs for the blind!
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Please consult your veterinarian about breeding questions, heat questions, etc... this thread will now be closed on that note.
Closed Thread