Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old April 8th, 2012, 07:24 PM

pregnant lab

My lab is within 2 weeks of having her pups. In the last 4 days she has slowed down. She is a very active dog. When she gets up, she seems stiff and has a hard time to get going. She eats and drinks, wags her tail and seems to be happy when she is near me. I'm wondering if anyone has had this happen to their pet. Is it normal for a dog to be this way before having pups?
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:29 PM

Hi don-key welcome to the forum. You will find the vast majority of the members here are pro spay & neuter and have not had a pregnant animal in their care. Your best bet is contacting your vet to ask all pregnancy related questions you may have, they can then tell if you should bring your lab in to be checked over. Good Luck

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Senior Contributor

sorry, in my 53 yrs I've never owned an unaltered pet. responsible pet owner here and I always spay or neuter, good luck to your lab , hope nothing goes wrong for her.
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

There are some breeders on this board and also a few rescuers who have fostered pregnant dogs. Hopefully one will be along shortly to reassure you. In the meantime I agree a phone call, at least, to your Vet is in order. Have you put your Vet on alert in case of complications? Or arranged with a local E-Vet? Hope this is not required but as you sound inexperienced it would be a good idea. Most breeders I know arrange for another experienced breeder to be with them at whelping time so prior arrangements might be taken as a prerequisite.
Old April 11th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I would recommend you contact your mentor and or vet as soon as possible, it is normal for them to slow down and relax prior to whelping, but I am sorry but if you are on here asking for very basic information, you NEED to have someone knowledgeable to assist you in delivering these pups. Whelping is not always a natural and pleasant experience, you need to keep track of placentas and pups and make sure all come out with each pup. If one is stuck you will need to know how much time is too much in between pups and when a shot of oxytocin is required.
I would recommend sitting down with your vet and getting to know the risks and warning signs that you need to know as a breeder.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:03 AM

I have contacted my vet and he has told me that nothing is wrong. I appreciate the replies I received. I really don't care that most of you support spaying and neutering. How did you obtain your pet? Not from a spayed animal I assume. I wanted my lab to have 1 litter of pups before she gets spayed. This was a planned event. I am not an irresponsible pet owner, just a concerned one that wanted to ask a question. I live on a grain farm and raise livestock for a living. It's not like I have not had any experience in the birth of any animals. I have run a farrow to finish hog operation for 20 years. I came to this forum to ask a question and not to be lectured on spaying or neutering my pet. I can appreciate your views on spaying and neutering. Anyone who owns a pet should consider this, as ther are way to many pets neglected and abandoned. I do not support anyone who neglects their pet. I am an animal lover as well. I consider my dog to be a member of our family. So save your lectures for the people who neglect and abandon their pets.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by don-key View Post
I have contacted my vet and he has told me that nothing is wrong. I appreciate the replies I received. I really don't care that most of you support spaying and neutering. How did you obtain your pet? Not from a spayed animal I assume. I wanted my lab to have 1 litter of pups before she gets spayed. This was a planned event. I am not an irresponsible pet owner, just a concerned one that wanted to ask a question. I live on a grain farm and raise livestock for a living. It's not like I have not had any experience in the birth of any animals. I have run a farrow to finish hog operation for 20 years. I came to this forum to ask a question and not to be lectured on spaying or neutering my pet. I can appreciate your views on spaying and neutering. Anyone who owns a pet should consider this, as ther are way to many pets neglected and abandoned. I do not support anyone who neglects their pet. I am an animal lover as well. I consider my dog to be a member of our family. So save your lectures for the people who neglect and abandon their pets.
I got mine from the shelters . I guess the issue with breeding for a lot of people (including myself), is that there are millions of dogs & cats dying in shelters and THEY deserve to have a home before any additional pets are brought into this world.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I got my Lab from a breeder who shows in conformation and obedience. Neither parent is a champion but the sire has some nice show winnings. Both sire and dam have clearances on hips, elbows, eyes and heart. CNM and EIC weren't well known then but now I'd be looking for them too. I got a 4 year health guarantee that did not require me to give up the dog and 5 years on eyes. Lifetime support on any little question I might have.

What do you offer folks who'd like one of your pups? It's true, we don't know your whole story, go to it, here's your chance.
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
I have contacted my vet and he has told me that nothing is wrong. I appreciate the replies I received. I really don't care that most of you support spaying and neutering. How did you obtain your pet? Not from a spayed animal I assume.

Obviously not from a spayed/neutered animal, otherwise it wouldn't have been in the shelter in the first place
Which is the point that the people here are trying to make. My oldest came from an irresponsble couple who purchased him from a backyard breeder. He has cost us several thousand in medical bills because the breeder did not complete any health testing to rule out specific genetic issues, which ruins the breed, which also makes anyone breeding just for the sake of breeding, irresponsible. An ethical breeder will spend a lot of money on health and genetic testing and breed to better the line. If you have not done that, how do you know the mom is not passing things on to the pups, that will pass on to their pups etc? Entire lines are ruined this way, and then people end up with a pup they either can't afford to care for, go in to debt caring for, or put to sleep. My second is a baby who was deemed "unadoptable" at 3 months old because he and his sister were found as strays and most likely abused. His sister was put down due to severe fear aggression... at 3 months old

I wanted my lab to have 1 litter of pups before she gets spayed. This was a planned event.

Which is worse than an accident, in my opinion. Hundreds of anmials are put down DAILY because someone was irresponsible, or they wanted their to pet to experience birth, or they want their children to experience the "miracle of birth" (to which I add they should then have to attend the death of a homeless animal, possibly one from that "miracle of birth" litter as well). Why would you want to subject a full litter of puppies to possibly that same fate? Unless you are planning to keep them all?

I am not an irresponsible pet owner, just a concerned one that wanted to ask a question. I live on a grain farm and raise livestock for a living. It's not like I have not had any experience in the birth of any animals. I have run a farrow to finish hog operation for 20 years. I came to this forum to ask a question and not to be lectured on spaying or neutering my pet. I can appreciate your views on spaying and neutering. Anyone who owns a pet should consider this, as ther are way to many pets neglected and abandoned.

If this is how you feel, why would you willingly bring more in to the world?

I do not support anyone who neglects their pet. I am an animal lover as well. I consider my dog to be a member of our family. So save your lectures for the people who neglect and abandon their pets.
The people who neglect and abandon are not the only irresponsible pet owners. People who are willing bring more in to the world, fully aware of the over-populatin problems, are irresponsible as well, in my opinion. I wish you and your lab the best. And I also hope that her pups do not end up in a shelter, abused, abandonded, or worse, set on fire and left to die (which just happened in Dallas a few days ago. A group of teenagers thought it would be amusing ) etc. But there is a good probability that at least one will. And even one is too many.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012

Last edited by Rgeurts; April 12th, 2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Typos
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I got mine from the shelters . I guess the issue with breeding for a lot of people (including myself), is that there are millions of dogs & cats dying in shelters and THEY deserve to have a home before any additional pets are brought into this world.
That is were I got mine as well. All 5 dogs and 4 cats.
Again my answer to all this is 'why bother'. People will justify whatever so in the end (and with hostility I see); all attempts to voice ones opinion about spaying and neutering gets swept under the rug.

My answer is now 'do whatever you want'. I am e-d-u-c-a-t-e-d out. And - if you have questions pertaining to a dog's health or there lack of - 'don't be cheap and consult your vet'.
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:59 PM

Rgeurts what makes you think my animals will end up in a shelter or set on fire? Do you know me? I came on this site to ask a question because i was concerned about my animal. If I did not give a chit about my dog, do you think I would have come to this site? I have consulted my vet. If you would look at the time I posted my original question, you would have noticed it was at 7:24 PM. My vet works til 5. I do support spaying and neutering.

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; April 13th, 2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Rudeness
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Rgeurts what makes you think my animals will end up in a shelter or set on fire? Do you know me? I came on this site to ask a question because i was concerned about my animal. If I did not give a chit about my dog, do you think I would have come to this site? I have consulted my vet. If you would look at the time I posted my original question, you would have noticed it was at 7:24 PM. My vet works til 5. I do support spaying and neutering.
Obviously... which is why your lab is pregnant.
Will you be keeping every pup? Doubtful. So it isn't "your" animals, but the animals you allow your dog to produce. You have zero control once they leave the litter.

Again, good luck

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; April 13th, 2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: quoted post & reply edited
Old April 13th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well said, Rgeurts.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Great Post Rguerts...I must say.
True enough...most of the rescue people that were here were silenced due to their passion and experience in this whole breeding crapola.
As one of the remaining few, I say leave the breeding to those that have put alot of time, money and knowledge to produce sound lines. EVERYTHING and ANYTHING outside of that scope are considered nothing short of a back yard producer. Or hey..why not everyone step back for a bit and not breed at all so that we can clean up our masterful dumping mess in the pounds and shelters.

Just a side note - anyone who knows me on FB - go take a look at what I am currently fostering. That's right...a great dane special from a BYB no doubt.

Bottom line is that you will NEVER know where your puppies will end up. Good intention or otherwise I can almost bank on some finding their way into pounds at some point of their lives. The luck ones will be in rescues, some will be euthanized. But Hey - you love animals.
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

This thread had run it's course and will now be closed.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread