Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

leg freezing?

ok, this could be the stupidest question ever asked, but you all remember or don't *L* Brina having her knee repaired last january, at the time because of the stitches and the shaving of her entire leg/hip, my mom knit her a leg warmer/cap as I called it. What I'm wondering is this, will she have problems with it freezing this winter? will the metal plate get cold thus making her whole leg cold at times? Should I dig out the leg warmer and have her wear it when we go out? Has anyone else been through this?
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Melinda
not sure if a plate is any different than pins in your leg,
I have 6 pins in both my legs and it never really bother "me" in the winter (besides arthritis) but it could be different in dogs
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

oh poor you!!
Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Gosh, tough to tell. A neighbour's Lab had a front leg pinned in mlutiple places after he was shot, chasing chickens. Stupid people still let him run loose and the first time I met him he was charging at me through lots of snow and turned out to be friendly and skiied 5 km with me. I met him several more times and the cold did not seem to bother him.

Two human neighbours have plates, one in skull, one in face, and both feel the cold badly.

Good luck. Dogs are like little kids and don't usually show discomfort till it is really bad. What did your Vet suggest?

Seems like a good question to me.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Skylar's Farm

If her blood is circulating well, she should have a pretty equal body temperature.
Getting soaking wet or laying in dampness could probably cause a chill, but other than that Brina should be ok.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Gosh, tough to tell. A neighbour's Lab had a front leg pinned in mlutiple places after he was shot, chasing chickens. Stupid people still let him run loose and the first time I met him he was charging at me through lots of snow and turned out to be friendly and skiied 5 km with me. I met him several more times and the cold did not seem to bother him.

Two human neighbours have plates, one in skull, one in face, and both feel the cold badly.

Good luck. Dogs are like little kids and don't usually show discomfort till it is really bad. What did your Vet suggest?

Seems like a good question to me.
dumb lab owners.....geesh
the vet said that every dog is different, some feel the cold while others feel and wont' show it...but to watch her and if she "skips" a step every so often, then its gotten cold...so I'll have to wait and see.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
If her blood is circulating well, she should have a pretty equal body temperature.
Getting soaking wet or laying in dampness could probably cause a chill, but other than that Brina should be ok.
I take a folded up "tin" emergency blanket when we go bushwalking in the winter for her to lay on when we take breaks, I won't let her lay in the snow this year just in case, and her circulation seems to be fine....toes/pads are never overly cold
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Skylar's Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I take a folded up "tin" emergency blanket when we go bushwalking in the winter for her to lay on when we take breaks, I won't let her lay in the snow this year just in case, and her circulation seems to be fine....toes/pads are never overly cold
Oh ya, those folded foil blanket/sheets are something to have in every pocket and in the car. Very handy.