Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:05 AM

cats- pain meds after spaying?

I recently took in a cat for a couple who couldn't take care of it anymore. I was happy to do so, but the cat isn't spayed & has no shots. I don't think it's fair for the cat to not have this done, and couldn't deal with the up-front expense of all of this (upwards of $400 where I live). I took her on the condition that the couple would pay for her spaying and I'd pay for the rest, but the only way they would pay for the spay is if it's done at the Humane Society. Although I wish I could afford to have it done at a vet, I'm sure the Humane Society is safe and everything.

Now, I know it's very in and out there and I'm concerned they won't give her any pain meds. I've been reading, and some people say it's a good idea, but some say it's unnecessary. What I think is, I can only imagine the human equivalent, a hysterectomy, and if someone did that to me, I would definitely want meds.

I know the easy answer is to call the humane society and find out-- but they are closed today and I wanted to get some other feedback anyway. The cat is about a year old... she still acts like a kitten but I'm scared she might not "bounce back" in the same way a cat half her age would.

If the Humane Society doesn't give meds, I will probably call the vet doing her shots and see what they think.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I know that my vets give cats a shot of metacam after spaying, but do not send the cat home with any pain meds. You can't give cats instructions post surgery like humans, so it is necessary for them to feel the pain so they restrict their activity.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:15 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Where are you located? It's possible someone on the forum may know of a low cost s/n clinic. In some cases those low cost clinics also do the shots. They come "included" in the package. What does your HS charge for a s/n?

I have had many cats done in the last year and a half or so. None of my females had meds afterwards. I just made sure they were kept as quiet as possible for a couple of days after. I let the cat call the shots from then on. They know the pain they can handle. I found that a large dog crate worked wonders for the first little while. It kept them calm and safe.
Old August 30th, 2009, 08:47 PM

When i has the stray I took in spayed she was at least a year old. she bounced back just fine (no, my vet didn't give us pain meds for her). In fact the very next day she was trying to jump on things So you don't need to worry about your cat, she should have no problems.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:48 AM

I called and they do give a shot of pain meds, but nothing to take home. I think it should be fine.