Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 28th, 2010, 11:23 PM

silly dog behaviours...help! lol

my 10 month old mini aussie 'Cash' has recently started to spit water from his water dish into his food dish. Spilling water everywhere! And his food dish is full of soggy kibble but he eats it. Why does he do this?? Is there something wrong?
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:57 AM

Spit? Like He puts it in his mouth and splashes it on his food dish? Lol? What's with Cash? Does he want an appetizer? Soup or stew perhaps?

Stan (my terrier x b.collie of 3 months) does a silly thingy with his water dish too. He'd drink a bit, lie on his tummy and tilt the dish with his paw so the water goes splashin' on the floor! He is a sloth for a collie!

But, why oh why does Cash do the spittin'?
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

It doesn't sound like Cash is hurting anything other than making a mess, but if it's a problem remove his water dish until he is finished with his food. Just make sure his water goes back when he's done with his kibble. The other choice is to be near him when he eats and correct him when he starts to make a mess with his water. A verbal correction may be enough, and if not then say NO MESS and remove the water dish. You could also just move the water dish to a different area so it's not convenient for him to lick and spit. Good luck to you.
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:49 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Couple of things - Does the dog get fed on a regular feeding schedule or is there always food available? Does the dog always have fresh water available or only at feeding times? The behaviour sounds to me like a dog that is thirsty and hungry and doesn't know what to do first. He's thirsty so he drinks. Then he wants food and doesn't so much "spit" it into his food but carries it on his muzzle or whatever so the food gets wet when he eats. Try some of the suggestions offered and make sure to leave his water available at all times so he isn't thirsty enough to make the mess. If he is making a mess when he is drinking water that can always be fixed by getting him a bigger bowl. My brother uses a large pail as well as drinking bowls. The pail is always the water bowl of choice with his two.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 29th, 2010, 06:35 PM

I make sure that Cash has fresh water and food available to him at all times. It seems as though he just wants his food softened. He will snort the water and spit it into the food bowl then he'll wait till the food is soft and he'll eat it all up. Maybe he just likes softer food? I dont know lol But i dont think its a matter of which dish he wants first.. I've raised many dogs and this guy is the first one to do this! lol