Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 8th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Help desperately needed in regards to our dog!

We have had our dog Patched since the beginning of May. He was nearly a month old at the time, came completely 100% trained, etc. We have NEVER had an accident in the house, ever. We recently got a new bed, about 2-3 weeks ago. The bed came from my brother in law, a house with 3 cats. The dog has peed on the bed twice today!!! I have rubbed his nose in it both times. Why is he doing this all of a sudden?? What should I be doing to him when he does? Please help me, I can't believe that he is doing this!! Could there be a lingering cat smell in the bed??? And if so, what can I do about that. He sleeps with us and lays on the bed all the time, its not like he has ever been banished from the bed. Help! THanks!!!!
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjo362 View Post
I have rubbed his nose in it both times.

please don't do that ! It won't do anything good !

Why is he doing this all of a sudden??
Very probably because he smells the cats ... I would spray the mattress with a mix of alcohol (1/4 cup) vinegar (1/4 cup) and water (1 cup) , mix in spray bottle.

Only correct him if you see him do it , just tell him a firm NO and take him outside. To correct after the fact is useless. And please , never ever rub his nose in it !
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow a month old and 100% completely trained! His name should have been Miracle!
Sorry but I don't agree with rubbing his nose in it. Dogs noses are super sensitive and I think that could do more damage than good, not to mention it's rather cruel. When human children have accidents their noses aren't rubbed in it, I don't think it is necessary to do that to a puppy either.
Try crating. Get a crate just big enough for the puppy to stand up and turn around in. Put him in it for awhile, then take him straight outside, give him time to do his business and when he does praise the dickens out of him. If he doesn't do his business, put him back in the crate for a bit and try again.
That's the way I trained a litter of 8 pittie pups, they were fully house trained within a week, mind you they were slightly older than a month old.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
We have had our dog Patched since the beginning of May. He was nearly a month old at the time, came completely 100% trained, etc. We have NEVER had an accident in the house, ever. We recently got a new bed, about 2-3 weeks ago. The bed came from my brother in law, a house with 3 cats. The dog has peed on the bed twice today!!! I have rubbed his nose in it both times. Why is he doing this all of a sudden?? What should I be doing to him when he does? Please help me, I can't believe that he is doing this!! Could there be a lingering cat smell in the bed??? And if so, what can I do about that. He sleeps with us and lays on the bed all the time, its not like he has ever been banished from the bed. Help! THanks!!!!
He was 100% trained at only a month old ? Was that an error?

If he's only 4 months old, you can expect accidents to happen every now and then. Remove his water 2 hours before bed and make sure you've taken him out several times to eliminate before retiring. Rubbing his nose in it serves no purpose other than to have him mistrust and fear you . He's only a baby and it can take him some time to get full control of his bladder, his accidents are not his fault. Have you considered crate training him for sleep time?
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:53 PM

Sorry he was a year at the end of May.
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM

I have seen him do it both times. He does not sleep in his crate at night, there has never been a need for it. It is not bedtime, no where near bedtime. He spends most of the days outside, he loves it out there. I have been told NOT to use his crate as punishment. It is more punishment to me to try and get him into it. I am in a full out sweat once I finally get him into it. There has never been a need for it.

What kind of alcohol???
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:01 PM
-

Quote:

What kind of alcohol???
Rubbing alcohol. If one of the cats had an accident on that bed , your dog may be still smelling it and he's peeing on it to cover the smell. So you have to get red of any smells ...
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Thanks, will try that. Just a light spray over the whole thing?
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Crate training isn't punishment.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:07 PM
-

Quote:
Thanks, will try that. Just a light spray over the whole thing?
Yep , unless you can smell something stronger in one peticular area , then I would spray more there.
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:08 PM

I actually cant smell it at all. When we got it, we febreezed it and sprayed the hell out of it with Lysol...
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Doggie Wench

You're correct, the crate is never to be used as a punishment. There are ways to condition dogs to love them and can be used for positive training opportunities.

If you catch him in the act, an abrupt, "uhuh" or "hey" can be used to interrupt him, then take him outdoors and reward him for peeing there.

Is your dog fixed by any chance? If he's over a year old, I would say he was marking your bed, perhaps because of the unfamiliar scents. If that's the only piece of furniture he pees on (if he's peeing frequently elsewhere indoors, your best bet would be to head to the vet clinic to rule out a urinary tract infection), you can always not allow him access to it.
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:12 PM

He is fixed, dry humps a lot still...haha. I have not noticed that he has peed anywhere else in the house.
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM

I did a good spray last night with the alcohol/vinegar/water....the smell was pretty strong, I sure hope it works! Thanks!