Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Doggie Wench

Water Consumption...What's Normal?

Is there a general guideline for dogs?

All our dogs, with the exception of Toby, are fed raw so the only time I notice them drinking water is during and after playtime. Toby is fed 1 cup of Orijen Senior 2x per day with a cup of plain homemade beef stew/broth....no salt added. It's just beef and water. As soon as he's done eating, he drinks an additional 1 to 2 cups of water. He also drinks about 2 to 3 cups of water upon awakening in the morning and another 1 cup every two hours or so. I'd say on average, he's consuming approximately a little under a gallon per day. Is that normal? It seems quite a lot but I don't have anything to compare it to .

He's had two blood tests within the first week he came home (1 month ago), both showing elevated UREA, CREA, and ALKP. Not alarmingly so, but over the norm esp. ALKP. Everything else fell under the normal range. Stool exams came back fine.

I'm having him re-tested again on Wednesday to see if there have been any changes. Is there something I should be asking/looking for specifically?

I think I should add, he had orange liquid diarrhea his first two weeks here. There was blood present early on but it was attributed to nsaids which were stopped almost immediately...bleeding stopped as well. He's since had two rounds of Metronidazole, 500mg 2x daily...his last dose was 2 days ago. During the treatment, his stools were no longer liquid but, more of of a cow-pie consistency and still an orange-like color. Today, he's had the most formed stool, still soft, but the most normal he's had thus far.

I'm not terribly worried just trying to brainstorm here before Wednesday. Any ideas?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

UREA, CREA, and ALKP. <-- Dont know what these are but have you had him tested for diabetes? My uncles lab drinks an insane amount of water, and it turned out to be a result of diabetes.

And I also know another lab that has a cabin near ours who just drinks an insane amount of water for no reason. She's been tested for everything thinkable.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Our dogs can drink about 10 cups in a day, LP--they're about 50 - 55 pounds on average. Can't remember how Toby compares. A larger dog might drink a couple cups more, a smaller dog a little less. But a gallon seems a bit high.

If he's dehydrated from the loose stools, though, he might be drinking more to compensate.

Just an aside--we use metronidazole a lot for a number of maladies and one thing we've noticed is that although the drug usually stops diarrhea, the stools never really firm up to normal until after our dogs are off the metronidazole entirely.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
Doggie Wench

I would think signs of Diabetes would show up on a regular blood test . Maybe I'm wrong but I sure have it on my list to ask about.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I would think signs of Diabetes would show up on a regular blood test . Maybe I'm wrong but I sure have it on my list to ask about.
They can see signs of diabetes in a urine sample, as well--the excess sugar spills into the urine.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
-

Quote:
I would think signs of Diabetes would show up on a regular blood test . .
I'm pretty sure about that too LP.

I think he may be drinking more just because of the meds and injections LP. It also been very hot lately , since he's been at your place , could explain it too.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
Doggie Wench

Toby's 82 lbs but level of activity is quite low. I encourage him to walk the perimeter of the yard at least once...about 4-5 times per day. Otherwise he'd just do his stuff and want back in again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If he's dehydrated from the loose stools, though, he might be drinking more to compensate.
Now that makes obvious sense...something that obviously wasn't so obvious to me .
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
-

Quote:

Now that makes obvious sense...something that obviously wasn't so obvious to me .
I can relate it always helps to have someone else's opinions. We're too 'close' to our own dogs. Sometimes we don't see the obvious.

makes perfect sense Hazel !
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We've seen that effect in our dogs, too--I hope that's all it is!

Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

It sounds like more water than average, but as mentioned above I would think there are good reasons behind it.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
He's had two blood tests within the first week he came home (1 month ago), both showing elevated UREA, CREA, and ALKP. Not alarmingly so, but over the norm esp. ALKP. Everything else fell under the normal range.
Have the blood and his urine re-tested, the Urea & Crea are the kidney enzymes and Alkp is liver enzyme. Increase in water consumption is common in both kidney & liver issues, however as mentioned above it could be other reasons. Toby

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying