Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 31st, 2005, 12:38 PM

Transition to new owners

I recently found a wonderful home for my 3 year old lab/husky that doesn't get the attention he deserves at my house. Is it best for me to just drop him off to them one day or slowly introduce them?

I know he will love his new home but I am going to miss him a lot. I fear a slow transition may be harder on both of us. Comments?

Also - I have offered to take him and look after him whenever they go away on vacation etc. Do you think that is Ok for the dog?
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:51 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

This is a tough one. I would say it depends on each dog.

When I adopt out a foster, usually I go with the dog to their home. I stay for an hour or more, showing the dog where to ask for the "toilet", where the food and water are etc. We both play with the dog, and gradually I step back and leave the new owner iinteracting alone with the dog. When I feel the dog is comfortable, I give the new owner a little nod and quietly let myself out. It will help your guy to transition if he can take his toys, bed etc with him. Also if you can give the new family a written outline of your routine with him, the phrases you use with him, it will be less of a transition for him to make.

If the dog is a bit shy, then a gradual introduction at your house may be best. If you take him to "visit" his new home several times, he is going to expect to leave with you and that will make the final transfer harder for him.

As for doggie sitting, again depends on the dog and how long after the adoption that he comes back for a visit. If he really bonds with the new family, it might not be a problem. I have dog sat my former foster dogs with no adverse issues.

We do not allow former families to meet the new families more for legal reasons.

Hope this helps. I don't feel there is one hard and fast rule here. Each dog is an idividual and needs to be treated as such.

My Callie's former owner brought her to me and left in about 10 minutes. She just looked up as if to say, "Oh, are you going now?" and and went back to what she was doing. That was it. (She was 6 when I adopted her).

Good luck
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Each dog is an idividual and needs to be treated as such.
Totally agree. Some dogs will go off with strangers with barely a backward glance, and other will go wild with panic at being left in a new house with strangers.

Dogs that come from good homes usually have a harder time than strays or shelter dogs. My own dog took about 10 seconds to get used to me and my home.

If your dog is very bonded to you and your home, I suggest you go with the new owners and take him for some long walks. This is the best way for him to get to know them.

Quote:
I fear a slow transition may be harder on both of us.
Since your dog is not choosing any of this to happen to him, you do what is easier for HIM.

When you leave, don't look back. Just walk away. It will be easier for your dog that way.