Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 5th, 2004, 09:40 PM

Question 18 year old dog walking in circles

A freind of mine has a dog that is 18 years old. That walks around in cirles stands in front of fridge or in a corner seems to be losing it balance. This dog eat very well. Still plays when she comes in from outside. she drinks alot of water. was scratching it ears about 6 months ago but that has stopped... the dog seems to be in no pain.. My g/f is on a fixed income and will not bring the dog to the vet... Is there anything that I can do to help this poor old girl..... She seems to be getting worse eveyday... It is heart breaking to see ,.,,,, does anybody have any ideal what is wrong with this dog...
Old June 5th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

At 18 it could be a number of things.

PLEASE take this dog to a vet ASAP.If it is so heartbreaking to see,then this person will do everything in their power to find a way to pay for a vet.

When was the last time this dog saw a vet?
Old June 5th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor dog,at 18 she needs some compassion and care,please get her to a vet,if your friend has had her for all this time,she must mean something to her.
Don't let her suffer,please
Old June 6th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Walking in circles is a sign of a problem and it could be serious. It could be many things.

If your friend CHOOSES not to bring the pet to a doctor, there is nothing to say and no reason to speculate.

The ONLY thing you can do is
1-Lend her the $$ to go to a vet.
2-Keep encouraging her to go to a vet.
3-Get her to imagine that the dog is her parent, brother child etc. What would she do then?
Old June 6th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Sounds to me like it is time to get a new girlfriend. If she can't find money to take her pet of 18 years to the doctor,it makes one wonder where her priorities lie.
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

The ear scratching and present problems make me think this dog had an untreated ear infection or ear mites that have done severe damage to the inner ear.

Does your girlfriend know that denying animals necessary medical care is illegal in many places?

This is just terrible.
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:44 PM

Poor doggie

to all that gave concearn about this dog.....

I took the dog to the vet for my freind.... Unfortnatly the dog was diagnosed with Encephlitis sorry not sure how to spell it.... The vet was unbeleivable .....I explained that the dog was not mine and the situation my g/f was in and he gave me a resonable rate.....Some really do care..... I knew what i had to do ....Just sometimes you need some help making the decission my g/f is not a bad person.... she has 3 children and no money she is really sad at this situation .....but thankfull to me for helping her out.... I have to thank all of you for getting me off my bottom and do the right thing..
We had a small funeral for the kids and buried the dog at her home.... thanks for the insight
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for doing that and ending this dog's suffering.
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'm sorry for the dog having to be pts, thats just heartbreaking.

I have to ask, how did the vet diagnose encephalitis?

Enceph is swelling of the brain and can be caused by specific virus or vaccination. HOWEVER diagnosis is difficult and usually made through a combo of blood work and CAT scan or MRI. Otherwise it's guessing, unless blood work came up positive for a disease which is directly related to encephalitis. Such as West nile.
Old June 8th, 2004, 05:12 AM

pugs

the vet diagnosied this with just a guess I would say he told me that the dogs breed is known for encephalitis usually found in younger dogs but not uncommon in elderly dogs....He took the list of symptoms and that is how he diagnosed... He stated that the only way to diagnos this in pugs was doing a brain biopsy after the dog had either died or had been uthenized... I did not ask for him to do that... I trusted the vet and my g/f. was satisfied with this diagnosis......