Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 4th, 2008, 03:12 PM

Sick kitty

I'll try to give a brief summary. I cleaned out my cat's box monday night this week. When I got home from work tuesday I noticed that he didn't eat or drink. Went to clean his box and it was empty. Didn't think much of it though cause he was acting fine. Wednesday morning he didn't go to the bathroom or eat. I tried to give him tuna (his favorite) but he just sniffed it wand walked away. Wednesday night when I got home he didn't come to greet me. He just stayed on the couch and was a little lethargic. Still hadn't eaten or gone to the bathroom also noticed some vomit, mostly bile. I took him to the emergency vet that night cause I feared him being dehydrated from not drinking. He spent the night. They did blood test and it came back negative. Xrays showed no abnormalities. They did find some bacteria in is urine so thought it may be UTI and they gave him antibiotics and fluids. Picked him up in the morning and took him to regular vet. Looked him over and the results from emergency clinic. Said to take him home and see how he does. Spent the day with him Thursday and he just laid down all day under the bed. Tried to give him his liquid medicine but he vomited that. Took him back to the vet that evening. He peed in his carrier on the way there. Vet gave him a shot of medicine for uti, also something for his vomiting and fluids. Took him home and he went to some of his favorite spots but really didn't sleep. Did use the litter box to pee but still no eating, drinking and more vomiting. Also he appeared to be very lethargic and started drooling, tongue hanging out. Took him in Friday morning and they hospitalized him. He's been there since. Gave him different antibiotic, something to sooth his stomach, fluids and more testing. All negative on his blood, liver, etc. No fever. Still vomiting, drooling, tongue sticking out. Vet thinks something may be bothering his stomach and or esophagus. Treating him for that. I went to visit him today and pretty much the same. He's very scared of course but was happy to see me. When I left he sure didn't want me to leave him. Anyway I'm confident in the care he's getting but anyone ever seen this before?
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Just read your post and am sorry your cat is ill. You are doing all you can by taking him to the vets and hope they can get it figured out.

I've had sick cats, too, and I know it's really hard to watch them when they aren't feeling well.

Good Luck, let us know.