Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old August 9th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up My red Hibiscus

It seems we have no more gardeners postingbut here is my red Hibiscus,yesterday they were budding large,this morning they've opened and they are HUGE..
I planted it late last summer,plantsale at Costco,it was only $4.99
Attached Images

Old August 9th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Compared to the white one,the red one is almost twice the size,but the white one is at least 10 yrs old.
Attached Images

Old August 9th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Chico, I don't post 'cause I'm not a gardener. I even managed to kill both my cactuses and my air plants.(any flowers around here are grown by Mom)
I DO like looking at the pictures of flowers people have managed to keep alive.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

That's a real beauty, chico2. I was expecting a crimson red as is so common here but the darker red is lovely. Very fat buds it has to open that big.
I had a Dr's appointment today so made the most of my trip to town to buy another rose, a white called Snow Kiss, some seedlings(Penstemons, Pansies, Petunias) and seeds(Aster, Hollyhocks and Echinacea). This place will look a picture come Spring. It's not as established as your garden though unfortunately and will never be as lush..
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

OBC,I am not a gardener either,I just plant things and they grow.
I don't fertilize or anything like that,but I love to be out side and do stuff.

Goldfields,I am planning on pulling out all my roses this fall,if you lived her,I'd give them to you
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

And I'd accept them graciously. What do you intend to replace them with? How many are going? Maybe there is someone reading this that would like them, a fellow Canadian I mean.
I do fertilise plants here by the way, though I never used to before. To explain that, while I showed my dogs the garden only got basic care, once it became 'the next obsession' I'm out there with the Seasol, Blood and Bone, Dynamic Lifter, Dolomite etc.. My dogs amuse me, they have to supervise my gardening and Silk in particular wants to smell the flowers. There are some things I just can't grow, like orchids, delphiniums from seed, of course a lot of the tropical things. My husband has given up on trying to curb my love of roses, he'll now laugh when he asks, on my return from town, "Did you get another rose?". ( I try not to disappoint him. LOL.) Being on Garden forums is just feeding my addiction because gardeners are such kind and generous souls, so ready to part with plants, cuttings or seeds. You should see the cacti and succulent collection I've got now courtesy of my friends on one private forum. And tomatoes, I'd probably have seeds for 60 or more different tomatoes now, all colours, shapes and sizes. Just don't know whether to plant any because they say we're going to get the worst locust plague in history come the Spring.
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:32 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
OBC,I am not a gardener either,I just plant things and they grow.
I don't fertilize or anything like that,but I love to be out side and do stuff.

Goldfields,I am planning on pulling out all my roses this fall,if you lived her,I'd give them to you
wow those are gorgeous,,is that the one qman was lying infront of chico?....your roses,,why,,when,,i'll take them if you're going to get rid of them..then you can come visit them anytime.
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's an absolutely gorgeous hibiscus, chico!

But why are you pulling out all your roses?!?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

No one else is posting pics of their gardens chico 'cause yours are so gorgeous we can't live up to them!
Seriously, I have been a little busy this year. My gardens have really suffered. I figure the fall is when they will get attention. Then next year they will have a good start. I have been working on one section. It's coming....... slowly.
I love hibiscus! Mine are only small still. My pink one should be open tomorrow. I saw some nice sized buds starting tonight. I need to either move them or really do a good dose of fertilizer and triple mix. It's in pretty crappy ground.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's everyone,it is really really pretty..
Aslan,yes thats the one Q-Man was leaning against,no harm done

As for my Roses,I don't know if I'll have the heart to dig them out,but every darn year I get black-spots,no matter what I do and they get really gangly and tall,still blooming though.
OH,and my garden is nothing,compared to some I've seen..
14+if I had all those kitties,not much gardening would be done,I would be spending my time in the catuary and all those kittens
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Of course you won't dig your roses out. Why don't you try the milk spray on them, it did work with my Papa Meilland when it got Black Spot. The gangly and tall is something I haven't experienced yet. What did my sister say ? The first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they leap? Young roses I'm talking about. I'll probably die of shock once mine start growing madly. I'm always busy in my garden but there won't be photo's till the Spring.