Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 31st, 2011, 10:44 PM

At What Age was Your Puppy House Trained?

My puppy is four months old now. She is doing pretty good with house training. She has a few accidents a week but much better than when we brought her home at 8 weeks. I'm just curious how others have made out with house training their puppies? How old was your little guy when he/she was consistently going outside? Just want to see if we're on the right track.
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like you're well on the right track. It seems to be a highly individual thing. Our first setter, Gauge, was ostensibly house-trained at the end of 5 days, though part of that was our diligence in making sure he was set up for success. Cole, on the other hand, wasn't reliable until the age of 8 months! We were beginning to despair and then one day, voila! He got it! The other pups we've had were on the same track as your pup is--by about 4 months they were doing pretty well, but still not rock-solid. So I'd say you're doing pretty well!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:59 PM

my dog tried his best to inform me he had to go out to pee or poop by 10 weeks, but he didn't give much warning for me to get him outside in time, but it didn't take long for him to get more bladder and poop control.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

we brought 8 week old Brina home on a saturday and she had one accident on the weekend and none after that, I watched her like a hawk for the first week and each time I saw her giving hints, I took her out, after the first week she started asking for the door.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:57 AM

I think it also depends on when you bring them home and what conditions you've brought them home from. When we rescued Crosby he had a "phase" where he went to sleep and then urinated in his bed while sleeping. I think this was because he had lived in a crate at the shelter the first part of his life. We adopted him at 16 weeks and he was solidly trained by 20 weeks. We broke him of his bed wetting in about 3 days but it added an extra step...first get him to pee while awake..then get him to get outside. Sounds to me like you are on the right track though--but just like children--everyone is different and I would think it depends on their background, age, and even breed.
Good luck!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybubbles65 View Post
My puppy is four months old now. She is doing pretty good with house training. She has a few accidents a week but much better than when we brought her home at 8 weeks. I'm just curious how others have made out with house training their puppies? How old was your little guy when he/she was consistently going outside? Just want to see if we're on the right track.
Don't compare you puppy to others in that respect. I know some that come home have one accident, and then never again. Then there are some who start off having accidents all over the place but quickly learn the rules and potty house trained in a couple months, but can't be left unsupervised anyways because they're shredding little terrors. I've also known pups that weren't reliably house trained until they were a year old.

It really can be all over the place. Best thing you can do is have a routine and remain consistent, and don't give them too much freedom too early if they're truly not ready.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

My large dogs seemed alot quicker. I have two terriers and the boston still has accidents at 3 (sorry to tell you) but in her defence she is on steroids and tries to let us know but if no one is here to see her signal then she goes, she doesn't hold it. Saying that she's been great at night, no longer using her kennel. Other terrier trained about 4- 6 months.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

we rescued our beagle at 5 months old, she lived in a filthy kennel outside 24/7, man...took us almost 6 months to have her completely trained.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:38 AM

Our dog took almost six months. She knew what to do but kept having accidents. It turned out she had picked up a bug called coccidia that gave her the runs occassionally and slipped past the vet on her first exam. (The stomach troubles come and go with this bug, so she would be really good for a week, then have accidents for a couple days, then be good for another week. She kept eating strange things like books and fuzz off tennis balls so it was easy to assume she was having problems because she ate something funny.) A round of anti-biotics and she was stopped having accidents and did her business out of doors.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:03 AM

When I was breeding dogs, and had puppies, most of them were well on the way to be trained at the age of 10 weeks when I allowed them to go to their new homes.

The success actually was mom and grandma, and diligence. When I figured that pups needed to go out I put everyone outside, and the pups of course followed mom and grandma, and copied what they did.

Sure worked for me.

As someone stated, some dogs seem to take forever to train, just be observant of your dog, they will tell you when they want to go out.

My last dog would just stand at the door, no noise at all.

take care
binky